Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Adding Cruise and Wheel Controls To a SPEC! HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Adding Cruise and Wheel Controls To a SPEC! HELP?

Hello all. FIRST post here! I really need some help. I just got a 2007 FM spec tc (yes its a spec, and yes i love it) And im starting down my list of mods starting with what I can afford. I got a steering wheel with cruise control and audio controls and an airbag to match. If this little thing works, i will have gotten the only option i really want and will not be changed anyway by the time my mod list is done.

I had no idea if the new airbag would clip back into the harnesses i had but the switch took litterally 2 min. Now if i can get the other stuff working i will be a happy camper.

I need to hear from someone who knows how i can add cruise control. I talked to a guy that works on industrial toyota equipment and fleet vehicals and he said because everything is electronically controlled i may just need an upgrade to my ecu but he has no idea. I don't think i want to risk getting an aftermarket one if i can help it, and infact does the aftermarket systems work for a drive by wire car? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-JJ
Old 03-15-2008, 08:55 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i never got the chance to look at it in detail, but though i know the cruise control may screw and plug in easily, i don't think the necessary wiring is there to go back to the ecu.

maybe, maybe not. but with how easy it is to plug in, you can try to see if it works... but uhh... is there an empty hole for it to go thru?

i don't remember seeing one...
Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 AM

Next to where the airbag wires come out of the steering column there is a harness that the audio and cruise controll connects. in my spec, the only wire coming out was a blue that slid onto the airbag. (for the horn i think) SO the harness is there, but the wires probably don't come out the back. I can splice them into the harness but i gotta know what to connect them to and if it would work. Thanks for the reply by the way!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

the cruise control that you got doesn't have just a new plug that plugs right in, replacing the one that just has the (yes.. it's the horn wire) one wire..?

the thing is does it continue out the other end o the spiral cable and to the ecu.. that's what i don't know.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 PM

yes it does have a new plug that replaces the old one. (including the blue wire) But Yeah what i need to find out is if it does infact connect to the ecu. Maybe there is a wiring manual for the Spec? any one know or know how to find out?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 AM

anyone know where i can get a spec wire guide?

By the way, new airbag + 100 miles = no airbag light. Seems to have worked like a charm. Now if i can get the cruise and radio controls i will have saved a crap ton of cash
Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good luck man, im guessing the wiring should be there....
Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i'm guessing not.

it's easy for the factory to build one without those particular wires... (esp. for the radio controls)

radio controls, you'd probably need to make a harness yourself...

but the cruise control... very, very iffy. i'm thinking no.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my past experience... it's better to start with what U want than it is to add it later. I'm thinking the manufacturer made it impossible to add cruise ... I read somewhere that you'd need a different throttle body/electronics. With this drivebywire stuff, I'd also not be surprised if this mod would req. an ECU.

Interesting to know how this turns out, goodluck & please let us fellow Spec ownrs know, k?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM

thanks for the info so far. It looks like this topic has been posted in other areas now... Any one made any headway on finding a wire diagram? And yeah yeah i know i shoould have got the normal tc but i got it used (with 10,000 miles) and it was the only one in the color i wanted (FM) and you know what? Im totally over not having the normal tc. I wish i had known it was going to be such an issue to add cruiz so i would have saved some time and money buying the the other wheel but over all i think it was a good purchase. I figured it would be possible for a few hundred bucks but i still really think i can get the controls to work. Even if its only when i replace the radio with an aftermarket. but i probably will have to do some fancy wiring to get it working. oh well.

sorry for the rant.

Wire diagram?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Has this been installed yet?

Otherwise if too risky, maybe just keep what you have now and keep that airbag. May prove to be a pain

I was thinking of addin a paddle shifter system to my auto tC. But then the tranny has to be reprogammed and that will will cost to much money.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 PM

yeah i already have the new wheel with controls and cruise stick installed with the new airbag. i found someone on ebay to trade me my old airbag for the new one plus 150 bucks.

anyone know if the radio is different? i think im going to try and wire up the controls atleast.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM

yeah i already have the new wheel with controls and cruise stick installed with the new airbag. i found someone on ebay to trade me my old airbag for the new one plus 150 bucks.

anyone know if the radio is different? i think im going to try and wire up the controls atleast.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i kno its been a while but hows this goin? any new info im def interested?????
Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

you could probably talk tot he toyota dealer, most of the time Toyota makes 1 main wiring harness, and just doesn't plug in whatever options the car isn't going to have