Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

under-seat subwoofer, version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default under-seat subwoofer, version 2.0

I posted a while back when I installed an 8" Premier slim sub and enclosure. It was nice but didn't sound as big as I wanted. I also used 2 10" CDT MS100 subs for a while. Of course those sounded best but it took up too much trunk space. I wanted a stealth installation that sounded like a big box. I scored an unused eD 9kv.2 8" woofer on ebay for $50. I tested it in a 0.3 cu ft box and the little thing sounded great - much like a 10" woofer. So I designed a box to fit under the passenger seat that would be ideal for the 9kv.2 and fit perfectly. I sent the design to eD and had them build it. Cost was about $85 plus shipping. It took longer than I wanted but it's here and I'm happy. The finished product is 0.31 cu ft and does not protrude into the passenger foot space. There are 2 things you must do in order for this box to work. First you have to cut off the portion of the floor vent that sticks out into the floor space. You also have to relocate the sensor that hangs down from the passenger seat. It was simply moved above the bracket and the bracket was bent up to clear the way. It's a tight fit with about 1/4" side clearance between the seat rails and maybe 1/2" (or less) of clearance above the woofer. I tested many loud songs and there are no problems with excursion. The seat can also move front-back without bumping into anything.

old 8" sub

new design

old amp under driver's seat.

new Alpine 300 watt mono amp to replace the old Blaupunkt - much better! Also under driver's seat. This amp fits very snuggly in between the 2 humps on the floor.

Feel free to use this design for yourself if you're interested. A great thing about having a sub up front as opposed to the trunk is that it sounds ideal in ALL seats. I usually find that trunk-mounted subs sound boomy in the rear seats when the front is balanced. And the bass is weak up front if the rear is balanced.

btw, the amp is putting out 190 watts RMS. It's a Blaupunkt THA275PnP . It's hooked up with a LOC tapped into the rear speakers. Main speakers are Polk db6501 up front and db651 in the rear powered off of the head unit. The whole package sounds great and gets decently loud. ...and I got my trunk space back.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 PM
SL Member

Thats sweet, so you made the box huh? That's awesome.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remember the pioneer on you did, that was sweet, but this is even better! Nice job dude! (although I have other plans for under the seats)
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. ...and I did not build the box. just took all the measurements and designed it. I had the nice folks over at Elemental Designs build it for me.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Like an extra battery, lvbitwiz?

Teehee!!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Like an extra battery, lvbitwiz?

Teehee!!
a shocking find for your passengers eh?

(ok, I admit that was horrible)
Old 03-30-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice job, roasthebeef!!!!!ololol!!!!........ good ingenuity, R&D, design, & construction completed within budget!!!!! way to go!!!!... jh
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good I wana do somthin like that soon nice setup
Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
Nice job, roasthebeef!!!!!ololol!!!!........ good ingenuity, R&D, design, & construction completed within budget!!!!! way to go!!!!... jh
heheh. Now I'm going to think "roastthebeef" every time I see my screen name.

xseveredveganx, pardon my ignorance, but what's the extra batt for? Sound system? bags? Ever worry about a short in that spot?

Anyway, I'm loving the new enclosure. It's got all the punch the old 8" had and then some! ...and it can get lower. It's got plenty of headroom to match up with the main speakers too. I was able to bring the amp into 'protect' mode, but it was waaay louder than it should have been.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Extra battery is for my sound system. My profile has a picture of my box. I won't clutter your thread with my own personal pictures. Sorry about the prior one. I'm not trying to threadjack, I SWEAR!!!

I have a rather large amplifier. I'm a bass head and I'm planning on doing a little competing. Just something fun to do on the weekends.

I have worried about shorts, but I never really carry metal around in the back seat. I've had a can of window cleaner rolling around from time to time and it freaks me out! I'm planning on building a cover for it so you can't see the battery or anything.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice enclosure! i bet the laidies LOVE that seat!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UNOHxB
nice enclosure! i bet the laidies LOVE that seat!
lol. It's a special chair for sure.

but honestly, I need to sit on it and check it. I think the sound pressure is pretty evenly distributed all over the car.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Dude...that looks sweet.

I didn't even realize it was for an xB.

Telling them how to put that together = an exercise in not fun
Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
Dude...that looks sweet.

I didn't even realize it was for an xB.

Telling them how to put that together = an exercise in not fun
Chris. Wow I'm slow! So you're the Chris over at eD? I see I see... Just to let you know I'm really impressed with the 9kv.2! The thing sounds great and wants a little more than the 190 watts I'm giving it.

Now you guys have a proven design if anybody with an xB2 asks for an under-seat enclosure. It just takes a hacksaw, a screwdriver, maybe some pliers and a little elbow grease to get it all to work. I wish I could have big nubs in it like a lego brick. The enclosure fits in just like a lego piece!

----------------

vegan... no worries. your post was totally cool with me.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can i buy this setup you have? you said ED did it but i cant find it on their site.... and how much?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AMAN
where can i buy this setup you have? you said ED did it but i cant find it on their site.... and how much?
It's all in the original post my friend. Then Post #4 sums it up in 1 sentence. I even have a picture of the box I designed and am basically giving the design to anybody who wants to use it.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
It just takes a hacksaw, a screwdriver, maybe some pliers and a little elbow grease to get it all to work.
= The exact reason I couldn't design it with a loaner car ;)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

edesignaudio.com. This box was a custom order so I doubt it's on the site although you could talk to Chris or Alex and they'll give you a quote. eD has a live chat on their website, or give them a call, or email. They're very responsive since they only deal direct to the public.

I'm doing an underseat design that will work under both seats. I'm going to use a 4" PVC halved longitudinally to "extend" the box under the seat rail and out the front/back. Should be built by the end of the month. Look for a build thread soon.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
edesignaudio.com. This box was a custom order so I doubt it's on the site although you could talk to Chris or Alex and they'll give you a quote. eD has a live chat on their website, or give them a call, or email. They're very responsive since they only deal direct to the public.

I'm doing an underseat design that will work under both seats. I'm going to use a 4" PVC halved longitudinally to "extend" the box under the seat rail and out the front/back. Should be built by the end of the month. Look for a build thread soon.
Wow. That sounds awesome. Are you the guy doing 2 9kv.2 subs? I remember that from another thread. I know it's going to sound awesome! Can't wait to see the build.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, 2 9K's. I've got all the materials including 5-minute epoxy for securing the PVC to the MDF. The boxes should be 0.41cf sealed. I need to get the xB into the garage to do the final measuring on both sides and do the math. I'm fairly certain I can make it fit under the drivers seat, I just need to determine if I need to relocate the sensor. As I said, my goal is to create one design that'll work under either seat. As the driver's sensor is bolted, it's the passenger side that's probably going to be the biggest obstacle. In the end, I think the sensor will be mounted elsewhere on both, but we'll see shortly.

I forgot to mention earlier, great design and box, Rock. The dimensions on the pic are great for anyone wanting to build it. Very clear.

I calc'd the interior volume to be 0.32cf. Is that right Rock? I just wanted to include that for reference in case someone wants to build your box for another sub (there are plenty of 6" or 8" subs out there that this would work for.)

Quick Reply: under-seat subwoofer, version 2.0