Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

stock nav and address problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:56 AM
ckd
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default stock nav and address problems

anyone having trouble with the stock nav saying the address does not exist on the street you are trying to input? I tried to put in my home address and the unit will not take it. It shows the street and city ok but doesn't like my address. This also happened on a business i was trying to input. Both places have been around for years so its not like they are brand new and not on cd.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:50 AM

hmmmmm i don't have the nav unit but ive played with a few aftermarket units before, did you try to update at all? Maybe its a disc issue
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 AM
ckd
5 Year Member
SL Member

its all less than a month old and its shows my street but won't let me put in my address
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has happened to me when I had disconnected the battery. They NAV resets the region it's programmed for, making inputting addresses a a challenge. You can adjust it from one of the menus. Make sure that your region is set correctly and that might help.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
SL Member

perhaps the address numbering scheme is wrong. it may have the correct street, but it might not have the correct street numbers.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have that issue also even though I have the Gen5 Ver 7.1 Nav disc. There's nothing wrong with your Nav unit, it's the Nav disc that doesn't have your address. BTW, do you live in a new neighborhood development???
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM
ckd
5 Year Member
SL Member

My home is about 10 yrs old so thats not it. Oh well
Old 09-06-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming the SNS is pretty similar to the stock NAV in most Toyotas... on that assumption, here's a couple of common mistakes people make in putting in addresses.

When your main map screen comes up for the first time, make sure that its showing your correct area. It doesn't have to be exact, but it should be close. You can manual adjust it through the settings page if it isn't.

Make sure on the initial address screen that you're in the correct region - the region should always be the address you're heading to, not that you're currently in. If you are in Kansas and you're heading to Florida, Florida's region should be the one you're searching in.

When imputing the address, never use the North/West/East/South compass with your house number. A lot of people use the compass on this part, and it screws it up. They enter it as "1234 W" or "W 1234" and then go to the street part: Johnson St. In my opinion, one should just always ignore the NSEW compass in imputing the house number and really you don't need it on the street part either. Instead use the LIST function to choose what direction your street is out of the line up. If you feel you need to put in the direction, put it with the street name, like West or W Johnson.

ALSO, make sure you're not leaving a SPACE behind the house number or street name. That ALWAYS screws it up.

Like someone else said, sometimes a neighborhood isn't even in the system, usually because it's fairly new and needs to be added in. You can go to your houses location, mark it, and then register your house from your marked position/memory if I remember correctly. You can also at your house's location, hit the map button twice and it will display your address your car thinks it's at - you could see if it's close or correct that way.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 AM
ckd
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im sitting in front of my trying to set the "home" setting and it says that address does not exist on the street. It knows my street just doesn't like my address
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ckd
Im sitting in front of my trying to set the "home" setting and it says that address does not exist on the street. It knows my street just doesn't like my address
Will it accept your neighbors addy? I mean if worst comes to worst, you can select that or select a POI near you that you're familiar with to register as HOME. I usually recommend not registering your actual home address anyhow because if someone stole your keys, your car - now they have your address and directions to your home.... You know where you live once you get to your area - its just helpful if you're touring the actual neighborhood for some reason. If you select a POI, it'll get you to your general area fairly effectively and then you can take your own shortcuts home.

As a last ditch, I would take it to the dealership and see if they can help just to make sure you're entering it correctly (like I said, soooo many times this is human error - I help customers go through their NAV systems as part of my job, and I make them input addresses in front of me step by step - usually its some little thing they're doing and once that's fixed, the system works perfectly), but it sounds when making the map of your neighborhood they may have used the planners system of numbering rather than the actual numbering. It happens with these NAV systems rarely *shrug* - no map is perfect. You can ask your parts department when the next map update is coming out and ask for a list of what areas are being updated. If yours is on that list and having your actual home address is super important to you, that would be the time to buy it. But they only update various areas each year, so you'll have to check if your hood or an area that's of interest to you is included.

As the VERY last ditch, you could try the Toyota or Scion Customer Experience line and see if they can advise anything. I doubt they would, but they might be able to give you an excuse that helps you sleep at night. The number should be in the front of your owner's manual somewhere.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hav d same prob. My address shows up which was built in 2006 but some of the places i tried to search, which are as old as my granma, wouldn't register.
it's a piece of crap for $2k. Hate dat damn thing. I shoulda bought aftermarket nav.