Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

What kind of audio wiring will I need for a 2009 xB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What kind of audio wiring will I need for a 2009 xB?

Hi,

First let me say thanks to everyone who has helped me pick out what I think will be a great system for my budget. I just ordered the following parts today:

(Alpine)
MRP-F600 4-channel amp (100 watts x4)
MRP-M500 monoamp (300 watts)
SPR-13s front speakers
SPR-13c rear.
10" S-type sub.

I decided not to go with a new stereo just yet since my car's been broken into in the past, and I don't want to send out any further invitations ATM

The question remains, what kind of cables will I need to hook them up? I'm assuming that I'll be doing something similar to the following:

Stereo->splitter->one split going into the 4-channel, another going into the mono block->the 4-channel runs to the speakers, the mono runs to the sub

Would that be correct?

Also:
1. Can I mount the amps under the rear seats?
2. How can I remove the stereo to get to the rear cables?

Thanks for the help,

DJ
Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd want a 4 channel LOC to run front and rear RCAs to the 4 channel amp. Then you'd run a RCA cable from the 4 channel amp's output to the mono amp. You'll probably want to run 4 gauge power and ground wires.

I'd go for the Alpine PDX5 amp. It's 75 watts x4 + 300 watts mono all in one incredibly small package.

You can mount amps under the back seat. Just search for it. It's been documented here.

Check out the Scion Navigation installation instructions on trdsparks.com. That will tell you how to remove the radio. You just have to pull off the bezel around the radio, pull out the little trim under the radio, then undo the 4 10mm bolts and pull the radio out.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I did consider the PDX-5. However my speakers have an RMS rating of 90 watts. Also it was a bit cheaper to get the two separate amps as opposed to one.

Forgive me but I don't know much about LOCs. I have a whole bunch of RCA cables at my house. Does the Scion factory stereo have RCA outputs on the back? This will be my first hands-on install. I assumed that I would run two separate signal cables from the stereo to the amps (the kind with exposed copper on the ends). Then run another set of the same cables from the amps to their specific speakers.

I looked up a 4-channel LOC and the price is pretty high. Can I get away with the mentioned configuration?

Thanks

DJ
Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The only factory Scion headunit with preouts is the "Premium" unit.

Do yourself a favor and just buy a better headunit. Pioneer has a double din (it'll fit the openning in the dash better than a single din) and it's very reasonable in cost.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJrepresent
Forgive me but I don't know much about LOCs. I have a whole bunch of RCA cables at my house. Does the Scion factory stereo have RCA outputs on the back? This will be my first hands-on install. I assumed that I would run two separate signal cables from the stereo to the amps (the kind with exposed copper on the ends). Then run another set of the same cables from the amps to their specific speakers.

I looked up a 4-channel LOC and the price is pretty high. Can I get away with the mentioned configuration?
I think the price of a 4-ch LOC can range a lot. Probably from $30-$100. I'm actually using whatever generic brand Best Buy carries. It's only a 2 channel converter because I only have one subwoofer amp that I needed to get signal to. It was something like $20.

I finally just understood what you're trying to do. You can indeed run speaker level inputs to the amp. That would be fine. The amp has its own LOC for that purpose. It'll work. Then I'd run an RCA cable from the 4-channel amp to the subwoofer amp.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. So all I need then is a set of copper wires to run from the stereo, then between the 4-channel amp and speakers, and one RCA from the 4-channel to the mono block. Do you know what outputs I should expect to find on the back of the stereo? I'm assuming either a single copper output / RCA or a series of 4 outputs.

Thanks for your help!

*Edit: Forgot to ask, what king of wiring should I get to power the amps? I'm assuming that I can run two separate wires from the car battery to them.

DJ
Old 11-02-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The speaker outputs are not obvious when you look at all the wiring coming out of the back of the head unit. Everything in the back of the stock stereo will be harnessed into a bunch of plugs. So you'll have to figure out what wires go to what speakers and then splice into them to run those speaker level outputs to the 4 ch amp. So... there is a bit of surgery to do. Hopefully you're comfortable with that.

I'd go with a 4 gauge amp wiring kit for your amps. You'll have to run the positive cable directly from the battery and through the firewall to the amp. The ground cable will not run from the battery. You want it to be as short as possible so you will run the ground from the amp to a nearby bolt. Also don't forget the remote turn on wire that will tell you amps when to turn on. You'll have to splice into another wire that turns on when you have the key in the ACC or ON position. That wire can also be found in one of the plugs in the back of the stereo.

You're asking some really basic questions as far as installing amps go so please make sure you're comfortable with everything before you begin.

Have you read any articles like this? http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...ion_guide.html

You might want to read through those and might also find some good useful info here: http://www.bcae1.com/ Good luck!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Beef,

My friend's dad owns a body shop and he agreed to help with the install so I'm pretty confident in that respect. The tools he has, however, may not be all the ones I need.

So then let me ask, what tools do you think I'll need on top of what he would probably have? For example, I have to check each cable so I'm assuming I could use a multimeter. As far as the plugs, I'm assuming that they will go to each speaker, so the approach I'm thinking of taking would be to run new copper from the amp to the speakers, and run the existing cables of the head unit to the amps. A lot of cabling and electrical tape. I have the appropriate wire cutters.

I'll read those articles.

Thanks!

DJ
Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DJ,

Having a body shop doesn't equal expertise in car audio, but I understand that your friend's dad might be one of more valuable resources you have to get this done. He's probably good with his hands which is always a good thing.

You don't need a multimeter to test every single wire. Each wire is color-coded and there is information out there (on this website) as to which wires are what. You just have to do a little research. If I remember correctly the wires for the front and rear speakers are on 2 differecnt plugs (I could be wrong).

Most people would install a LOC behind the radio and run RCAs to the amps. If you want to fish out the stock speaker wires from each door and run them to the amps, by all means knock yourself out. I don't see that as being very fun at all. It might be next to impossible if the wires are taped up. Or like severedvegan suggested, get a better head unit. You'll be miles ahead. But I know sometimes the hard way is the fun way...

Check out the "The End All Sticky" thread at the top of this forum. You'll find some valuable information there. They're are pdf documents that schematically show all the audio wiring to the xB2. They're somewhere on this forum too but I honestly can't remember where. Perhaps I can send you a copy to help you along...

But before I do that, have a look at this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ght=nav+bypass. There is a ton of information in there that would be helpful to you.

As far as tools, you just need the basics: Wire strippers, wire taps, electrical tape, etc.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck on this project. All I can do now is to suggest that you do more searching/reading and less asking questions .
Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Skip the electrical tape and make the leap to a soldering gun and heat shrink. Much more solid, positive connections. Takes a bit longer, but it'll save you the trouble of going back and finding the lose wire, or worse, the short. A hot car parked in the sun isn't so friendly to the adhesive on electrical tape. If you must use electrical tape, go get the 3M stuff, none of that dollar store crap.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Beef,

Thanks a lot! I saw the back of that stereo I thought, "holy ____ good thing I got this information." So now you say that I do need a LOC? I thought earlier that is wasn't necessary. One of the posts you referred me to shows a four-channel line output converter. So I can imagine that I'll definitely need that.

Yes, enough question asking. I got my first shipment of gear and am waiting for the second, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

(*Edit: I didn't write "poop")

DJ
Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too want to add extra boom to my oem radio, but fear running, cutting, splicing wires.

Can I buy the bazooka sub harness and use that for signals for an amp, both speaker, amp turn on, then run a dedicate power line tothe amp and wire the speakers to the amp??
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an entire wiring kit for an entire install if you're interested, its just lying around in my house.

I'm down in OC and would sell it for $40 if you want... its Memphis Audio.