Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Do I need an antenna adapter for a new head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Do I need an antenna adapter for a new head unit?

Hi,

I installed a Dual XHD6425. Sometimes when surfing channels, the radio will skip a known FM frequency. It doesn't pick up anything AM at all. I'm convinced that the antenna isn't properly connected to the HU. I'm going to take it back to the car audio installers, but wanted to know, do I need an antenna adapter? Should the shop normally have one?

DJ
Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every car stereo I've ever come across always had the standard antenna plug in the back of it. The installer could have forgotten to plug it in, or your new head unit could just have a weak tuner. I think the tuner is pretty weak in my Scion NAV head unit... I know Duals are relatively inexpensive, so maybe they scrimped a little on the radio section, but I don't know.

If time is valuable to you, you can check this yourself in about 5 minutes without having to bring it to the shop. Just pull on the trim around the radio and the whole thing will pop out with the 2 round A/C vents attached. From there you unscrew the 4 10mm bolts from around the head unit and pull it out. Take a look at the back and see if the antenna is plugged in. If not, the plug should be floating around somewhere behind the dash.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The headunit has what I remember is something that looks like an RCA receiver that's labeled "Antenna Connector." I remember the plugs that came with the Scion don't have this RCA-like connection. Is it still possible to have compatibility?

In terms of doing it myself - no worries, I called my shop and they agreed to take a look at it.

DJ
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That RCA-looking connector is the antenna plug. Our cars definitely have this - all my cars have in the past (dating back to an old 1974 Mercedes). This is basically the other end of the lead that comes from the antenna itself.

The receptacle on the head unit looks like

the antenna plug looks like this

If you didin't see this plug then it probably is hiding behind the radio somewhere. It can easily be lost back there. It sounds like somebody just forgot to plug it in. Good luck man.