Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audio system for ~$1000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 PM

Default Audio system for ~$1000?

I have a 2010 xB coming in the next week. I know I want better audio, bluetooth, and want almost 100% stealth. Does the new stock HU have preamp outs? Do the HU suck for amps? I really don't need loud, but I definitely want better sound. I like the Alpine unit looks as well, and I could keep the USB slot, which would be fantastic for USB drive MP3s. Anyway, what about the stock system needs the most improvement? I think I definitely want the 12" Elemental Designs sub and enclosure to replace the spare, and past that I'm overwhelmed by the options and lack of car audio knowledge .
Old 10-15-2009, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure the standard head unit doesn't have RCA outs, basic for all the standard head units that are made, but there's the premium option that does have RCA outs, then there's the super premium option that gives you the navigation head units and all those other features. Besides changing out the standard head unit, I think that's all that's needed. IMO, I think the stock door panel speakers are pretty good, they advertise them as full-range speakers and they don't sound half-bad. Of course, audiophiles would disagree with me as they change everything, the head unit, door panel speakers, and add big subs.

Other than that, choice of subs and amps are up to you, you can't go wrong by adding something you didn't have in the first place, just depends how much of it you want.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go aftermarket everything. if sound quality is your goal, $1000 is a real small budget though. it's doable, but you'll have to look around for some serious deals.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
go aftermarket everything. if sound quality is your goal, $1000 is a real small budget though. it's doable, but you'll have to look around for some serious deals.
Oh no. Ouch. That's not good. I plan on upgrading my sound quality and I came up with around a $500 price tag at Crutchfield.

I'm no audiophile nor am I proficient at installing car audio. The best experience I have is with home audio, which I EXCEL at, but it's much easier to hook up.

Basically I'm after a small powered sub (under the seat) and possibly four speakers (no tweeter upgrades necessary). Leaning towards Infinity basic speakers with no components, and then a bass blocker attachment to direct all the bass to the powered sub.

Don't know how to hook it up or anything like that, so I'm definitely going to do some research. But the fact that I got out with a $500 price tag is a little disconcerting to me, according to randomsuper. o_O

But then again, I'm just after the sound. No new head unit or bluetooth.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pyroman, you're gonna do all that with the standard head unit? If you do, let me know how it goes, I've been wanting to do something with the standard head unit but alot of my buddies and some guys at Best Buy have talked me into getting a new head unit, probably one with RCA outputs or even a remote out too.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh work at best buy for like 2 months then get it. The audio set up I was getting before I lost my main job was about 700 bucks with 3 screens and 4 12s.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just FYI, the base 2010 HU has RCA outputs for sub only. The upgrade Alpine unit has full RCAs for all channels and a "video in" RCA, but I think you need another piece to make the video work.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well what do I need in order to put this on my stock HU? Do I have all the outputs necessary to hook up this kind of system? Again, four main speakers (not components), bass blockers attached (I don't know where) to direct the bass to a separate powered sub, which will go under the seat. I understand the stock HU isn't the best and is restrictive when it comes to power, if not, I might have to go and purchase a separate HU. I'd rather keep the stock one though, if possible. How do I know that the stock HU can have this kind of system set up?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 PM

I think I'll do this, mostly through Elemental Designs (I've heard great things about them from home theater):

$475 - Alpine audio upgrade (not worth the money, stock HU does have 1 set of preamp outs, but I love the way it looks)
$130 - Blu Logic
$225 - e9.65i Elemental Designs front speakers
$225 - NINe.4 amplifier
$205 - subwoofer enclosure and front speaker baffles
$125 - e3.12 subwoofer
$100 - eDead sound deadener

All together it should be around $1500 with install and eD package discount. Hopefully it will look clean and sound great, with very little complexity. The new HU owner's manual is on the webiste, but unfortunately they don't have the Alpine one up yet:

http://www.scion.com/#referenceGuides

Last edited by sauroneru; 10-15-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by SanchezHacker
Just FYI, the base 2010 HU has RCA outputs for sub only. The upgrade Alpine unit has full RCAs for all channels and a "video in" RCA, but I think you need another piece to make the video work.
I saw the manual says subwoofer out only, but shows a picture of 2 RCA jacks. Isn't the subwoofer mono? Or is it still output with left and right, and they're just the same for the Alpine unit? Weird that they wouldn't just make it line out, but I guess it gives people a reason to upgrade or add the factory subwoofer without upgrading.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
Well what do I need in order to put this on my stock HU? Do I have all the outputs necessary to hook up this kind of system? Again, four main speakers (not components), bass blockers attached (I don't know where) to direct the bass to a separate powered sub, which will go under the seat. I understand the stock HU isn't the best and is restrictive when it comes to power, if not, I might have to go and purchase a separate HU. I'd rather keep the stock one though, if possible. How do I know that the stock HU can have this kind of system set up?
You can do all that using a stock HU, no problem.

1a. If your stock HU doesn't have preamp outputs, only speaker wires, then you can use an LOC (Line Output Converter). I'd suggest this unit;
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=2001
You connect speaker wires from the HU to it, and it gives you RCA outputs to connect to your amp.
1b. As an alternative to using an LOC, you can get an amp that has "hi-level" (speaker wire) inputs and go direct, a bit cheaper & easier.

2. "Bass Blockers" don't direct the bass to a sub. It's actually nothing more than a non-polarized capacitor, which acts as a filter to attenuate low frequencies at 1st Order (6dB/Oct.), so that your speakers are less likely to be damaged. They're easy to install, simply wire them in-line with the positive lead going to each speaker.

3. With an LOC or amp with hi-level inputs you can get the signal into the amp to power your sub. You'll want an amp that has a built-in low-pass filter (most amps have one) so that the sub isn't trying to play the content you only want coming from your main speakers.

HTH
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sauroneru
I saw the manual says subwoofer out only, but shows a picture of 2 RCA jacks. Isn't the subwoofer mono? Or is it still output with left and right, and they're just the same for the Alpine unit? Weird that they wouldn't just make it line out, but I guess it gives people a reason to upgrade or add the factory subwoofer without upgrading.
Many HUs have 2 sub outputs. Sometimes they're stereo, sometimes mono, it simply depends on what the designer implemented, as either is possible. I prefer to get one that's stereo in case I want stereo subs, as it's easy to combine them (RCA Y-adapter) to a mono signal. When they're both mono it's still nice to have 2, as some people like to use both inputs on amps that have 2 channel inputs, or combine them to increase the signal level.

I don't know whether the specific unit in question has mono or stereo sub out, but if you're not running subs in stereo, it won't matter.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
You can do all that using a stock HU, no problem.

1a. If your stock HU doesn't have preamp outputs, only speaker wires, then you can use an LOC (Line Output Converter). I'd suggest this unit;
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=2001
You connect speaker wires from the HU to it, and it gives you RCA outputs to connect to your amp.
1b. As an alternative to using an LOC, you can get an amp that has "hi-level" (speaker wire) inputs and go direct, a bit cheaper & easier.

2. "Bass Blockers" don't direct the bass to a sub. It's actually nothing more than a non-polarized capacitor, which acts as a filter to attenuate low frequencies at 1st Order (6dB/Oct.), so that your speakers are less likely to be damaged. They're easy to install, simply wire them in-line with the positive lead going to each speaker.

3. With an LOC or amp with hi-level inputs you can get the signal into the amp to power your sub. You'll want an amp that has a built-in low-pass filter (most amps have one) so that the sub isn't trying to play the content you only want coming from your main speakers.

HTH
Holy shiza. Man I wish I was a car audio guy. There's soooo many intricate details I have no idea about. I'm not going to lie to you. I only understood about... 1/3 of what you wrote here. And most of the words are "with", "an", "don't", etc. jk jk.

Anyway, should I go with bass blockers then? I think to be most protective of my system, I should. As for the amp, I have no idea how this works. I'm not planning on driving an amp to power the four speakers I plan on doing, but rather having a powered subwoofer to handle the lows at an acceptable level (I'm not looking for marginal performance, but I'm not looking for totally kick ___ performance either).

Looks like I've got some researching to do...
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
Anyway, should I go with bass blockers then? I think to be most protective of my system, I should. As for the amp, I have no idea how this works. I'm not planning on driving an amp to power the four speakers I plan on doing, but rather having a powered subwoofer to handle the lows at an acceptable level (I'm not looking for marginal performance, but I'm not looking for totally kick ___ performance either).
"Marginal" is a relative term, but maybe your expectation is reasonable, I just hope you're not disappointed in the end.

It'd really be best to skip the blockers and get a 4-channel amp to power the sub and front speakers instead. Using an amp that has a built-in crossover will prevent the lows from destroying your main speakers, and do it MUCH better and more efficiently than a blocker. Such an amp won't cost much more than one for the sub alone, and your entire system will sound a lot better, so you may want to seriously consider this. The cost could also be offset by leaving the stock rear speakers in place and powering them with the HU, as they're adequate for those people who feel the need for rear speakers, no need to upgrade them, especially in a budget system.
Here's an example of a small, inexpensive 4-channel amp with built-in crossovers and hi-level inputs (no LOC req'd);
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=267-902
There are many other brands & models to choose from in the same price range, so you could accomplish all this within your limited $500 total system budget.

But if you really want to use blockers instead of the above route, then you have to make sure you get the correct type for the speakers you intend to use. If you're using 4-Ohm speakers, then you'd want a "150Hz" blocker, like this;
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127BB15...f.html?tp=3216
That's nothing more than wires attached to a capacitor of approx. this value;
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=027-372
All they'll do is limit a small portion of the bass from getting to the speakers, it's still possible to damage them at high volume with the bass level on the HU cranked up, but I suppose it's better than nothing. They should work ok on the speakers you have planned (you stated "Infinity basic speakers" in your initial post, which I'm guessing means their low-end coaxials), which in themselves would likely only be a marginal upgrade (if that) from the xB2's stock front speakers. If you upgrade to a component set instead of coaxials, then blockers may not be a good idea because of potential implications with the set's passive crossovers, so an amp with active filtering (such as the earlier example) is highly recommended.

Last edited by nodsetse; 10-16-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great post nodsetse.

i personally would recommend a 5 channel amp with lots of power and adjustability and a high quality set of components for the front run active while leaving the rear stock with a small sub in the rear run in a sealed box. should give great sq if you pick good speakers and cross everything over correctly.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ That would be a fine upgrade too, but could be difficult to achieve within his stated $500 budget.

Edit: If he had a $1k budget like the OP, the system could be much better.

Last edited by nodsetse; 10-17-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the reason I'm at a $500 budget is because I'm not looking for extraordinary sound. I want the sound to be awesome and I like the price that I got at crutchfield. I am just a total noob at car audio.

Again, this is probably the last mod on my list. I like the performance of the stock system and could definitely use better sound, but it's not a priority for me.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Since the speakers you were planning on likely aren't an upgrade compared to stock, simply adding a 4-ch amp and sub might be your best bet.

2 channels would be bridged to drive the sub, with the internal crossover set to low-pass at 80Hz. The remaining 2 channels would drive the stock front speakers, using the amp's built-in high-pass filter at 80Hz. When you drive the stock speakers with a real amp (not HU power) and filter out the low frequencies, they sound MUCH better.

You could easily do this within your $500 budget, and greatly improve the SQ.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pawnshops are your friend, ive got on my shelf a kenwood double din navi, solo-baric l7 10" in box, kicker 450.2 amp, and 2 sets of kicker component mids u could have for 1000.00 but shipping would be a b*tch, just shop around at your local pawnshops and have in mind what you want to spend before you go in, and realize the price on the item is not the lowest theyll take, money talks
Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

easy $500 system

Hifonics ZXi 6.5C component set $60 per pair
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+ZXi+6.5C.html
Autotek SM4-800 4 channel 100 rms x 4 $90
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...k+SM4-800.html

2 sets of seperates and a amp for $210 of coarse i have the upgraded factory radio and not running a sub at the moment but even adding in another amp and sub would still be under $500

hope this helps a little and they have (how too's) and all your wiring needs