Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket Head Unit while preserving Steering Wheel controls and iPod/Aux Jacks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default Aftermarket Head Unit while preserving Steering Wheel controls and iPod/Aux Jacks?

Hi everybody,

Is there any way to install an aftermarket head unit and still keep the steering wheel controls and also the stock iPod jack and Aux In jack?

Are there specific head units that i need to look for that support these features? are extra parts necessary to accomplish this?

Thanks!

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try searching PAC SWI Jack, only thing I've heard of that'll keep the steering wheel controls. For keeping the factory iPod dock setup and aux IDK.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member

I used a Metra Axxess ASWC instead of a PAC. Auto programs and no resistors to wire into circuit. The aux and usb will be useless though. I ran an aux cable to the center console for my mp3 player.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Thanks for that, I'm going to have to look into the Metra Axxess. Keeping the steering controls is one thing I like to keep, just need to search for double DIN headunit that will let me close the door cover(I have a tC).
Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monty
I used a Metra Axxess ASWC instead of a PAC. Auto programs and no resistors to wire into circuit. The aux and usb will be useless though. I ran an aux cable to the center console for my mp3 player.

I second the Metra piece, much easier to deal with than the PAC ones. I just put one in the xB and one in the Odyssey, almost plug-n-play. As for keeping the Ipod and AUX jacks you're not going to keep the stock Ipod jack but can keep the AUX one as long as you get a radio that has RCA or mini jack inputs on the rear. I took a meter to the stock jack and sorted out which wires were left, right, and ground for the jack and tapped male RCA ends to it behind the radio and plugged it in to my rear audio in. For the Ipod port I ran the USB cable for my deck to where the port is, removed the pins and some of the plastic, and pressure fit the USB plug into the stock housing. Now I can plug anything USB or mini jack based in just like factory.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Poe408
hi everybody,

is there any way to install an aftermarket head unit and still keep the steering wheel controls and also the stock ipod jack and aux in jack?

are there specific head units that i need to look for that support these features? are extra parts necessary to accomplish this?

thanks!
I already replied to this over on Scikotics, but here it is again !

I installed an aftermarket Kenwood and although the steering wheel controls don't operate as smoothly as with the OE receiver, my PAC-SWI/JACK (www.Crutchfield.com) enables them to work well enough.

My Kenwood supports AUX, USB, and IPOD, but instead of a dedicated IPOD connection, it uses a special cable that plugs into the USB socket. My guess is you will probably also need a USB jack. In any case, I studied the OE jack wiring and decided I was better off preparing my own jack panel and wiring -- AUX and USB.

Here's a photo:

Name:  XBblackJackPanel_3.jpg
Views: 3149
Size:  44.1 KB

Last edited by TrevorS; 01-30-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's mine. I finally took pics of it.

Name:  CIMG5718.jpg
Views: 5708
Size:  133.4 KB

Name:  CIMG5716.jpg
Views: 6999
Size:  183.7 KB

As you can see the mini-jack is stock, just figured out the wires behind the headunit, and the orignal Ipod plug was hollowed out and the hardwired USB cable on my Pioneer was pressure fit in it. Works great and I can jack either Ipod or USB bades MP3 players or thumbdrives in to it. Funny thing is I use neither. The wife plugs in to the USB with her MP3 player but I just us the SD card slot on the deck.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I used mine for a few days after install, kinda fun and a chance to see how they sounded (never had them before), but since then -- nada! Nice to know they're there though !
Old 08-30-2019, 11:50 AM

Hi Greg, I'm currently upgrading my 06 Scion xB to a Wireless CarPlay unit by Pioneer and I want to retain the stock aux input. I'm ordering from eBay the original iPod plug and there's a space on my middle console for it where the previous owner didn't get the upgrade. I want to put in both and was wondering frankly how did you do it. I'm a bit new to self installing upgrades on my car. If it's not too much trouble I would sure appreciate a mini guide. Thank you