Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LED Tails

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
SL Member

Default LED Tails

I want to get some LED Taillights, what brands are people uising? OEM>? also i wanna smoke them, film or spray?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OEM Toyota LED tail lights were discontinued. You may find some dealerships may still be able to get them but the once option is no longer sold.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
SL Member

TRD sparks, have them
Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJTonkas_xB
TRD sparks, have them
uh, ok? Still doesnt change the fact that Toyota has discontinued them. I did say you can find them or possibly someone bulk purchased them beforehand and might have them in stock to buy.

Id stay away from film on lights. Get an actual good body shop to clear/black them slightly and you're good to go. Film fades and peels with wear.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
SL Member

thanks for the input!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anzo
Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by emrules2001
Anzo
im guessing thats a brand>
Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're smoking your tails, just make sure to spend a good time on them that way you don't have to worry about peeling. If you do a perfunctory job, you'll get orange peel. But LOTS of people have tinted tails and they generally last for years. My buddy's tC has had tinted tails for 5 years with no problems at all. And he used a knock-off of the popular VHT Nightshades.

Anyway, a really cool tail light to use is Longo Toyota LED Tails. I have these and they look amazing at night:

Name:  IMG_3350-1jpgpicturebydietter.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  68.3 KB

ThuMar04161543AmericaNew_York2010.jpg?t=1306471377

If you're going to tint your tails, have you considered tinting your stock ones first? To me, it seems kind of pointless to buy new LED tail lights and then cover them up with black tint so you can't see them as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SamCarroll
Id stay away from film on lights. Get an actual good body shop to clear/black them slightly and you're good to go. Film fades and peels with wear.
Just playing the devil's advocate here: If you spray the exterior of the lens, wouldn't it get just as much wear as a film and if anything be MORE prone to chipping? If you used a film it would be a contiguous application and I would THINK that it would be less prone to chipping and peeling. However, if you were to spray the INTERIOR aspect of the lens, then you have to deal with breaking the seal on the housing, and run the risk of getting moisture in the light housing itself after re-sealing it. Another question to be asked is how much wear and tear do the tail-lights see other than weather, they don't come in contact with rocks and the proverbial what not like our front end lights do.

Like I said, not trying to start anything here, just posing some questions...
Old 05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
SL Member

pyro! yo im diggin thos tail, are XBs are the same color so i think i may go with those! whats the the 5axis lip kit on there as well?

LT- thanks for you input but im gonna use the film
Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LtBradleykins
Just playing the devil's advocate here: If you spray the exterior of the lens, wouldn't it get just as much wear as a film and if anything be MORE prone to chipping? If you used a film it would be a contiguous application and I would THINK that it would be less prone to chipping and peeling. However, if you were to spray the INTERIOR aspect of the lens, then you have to deal with breaking the seal on the housing, and run the risk of getting moisture in the light housing itself after re-sealing it. Another question to be asked is how much wear and tear do the tail-lights see other than weather, they don't come in contact with rocks and the proverbial what not like our front end lights do.

Like I said, not trying to start anything here, just posing some questions...
very true, with the vinyls i just see the weird angles on our tail lights and would think that it would have chances to peel rather easy. I know my friend had his tails painted and they look flawless and hes taken his off road and been coated in mud and whatnot and been to Pismo with me a few times so the salt factor and it hasnt changed the gloss nor chipped any. Either way i think if you go with a quality place and quality product itll turn out nice.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sam, This is very true. And DJTonkas, I actually have a film tint on mine. Like Sam mentioned it was a bit tricky and the guy did have to do a lot of manipulation to get it to sit properly, but they came out very well. I guess I will see in time what the life of the film is like, but like you said, if you go to a professional that does quality work it should all turn out well.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hows the vinyl holding up in that WA weather? I have family in Sedro i need to go see sometime soon im waiting for the nasty weather to finally stop first.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far so good! I have only had them on for like a month, so we will see in time. LOL And it's funny that you mention family, I actually have an aunt down in Vacaville! When I get the chance I will try to post pics so you can see my tint.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Pyro: How are those LEDs holding up?? Have you noticed if any of them flicker or go out?? Cause I have e-bay knock off versions and they are doin that... considering getting replacements in the future.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJTonkas_xB
pyro! yo im diggin thos tail, are XBs are the same color so i think i may go with those! whats the the 5axis lip kit on there as well?
The first one is Digon's xB and the second picure is mine. These tails look great with our CSM xBs. Digon has the 5axis Lip Kit, which just looks amazing no matter what color. The LED tails look great with our cars and I highly recommend the ones from Longo Toyota.

Originally Posted by xbaholic
@Pyro: How are those LEDs holding up?? Have you noticed if any of them flicker or go out?? Cause I have e-bay knock off versions and they are doin that... considering getting replacements in the future.
I've had these tails for over a year now without any problems at all. I bought them because I'm scared to buy the knock-offs of functional parts, especially with high price tags. I liked the price of the eBay ones, but I knew they wouldn't last long, so I went with these ones instead. Plus when I bought them they came with a free 2-year warranty - extra incentive.

The closest thing to a functional knock-off that I bought was HIDextra's HID kit (back when MobileHID made car kits) which ran me at most $60. They come with free 2-year warranties, so it was a no-brainer. But for headlights or tail lights? Nope. Get quality ones.

My knock-offs:
- AVS Slimline Vent Visors (eBay)
- Shark Fin Antenna
- OEM-style spoiler (eBay)
- HIDextra HID Kits
Old 05-28-2011, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I almost forgot! You can find their tail lights available on eBay auctions.

Here's a link for you to peruse:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...-/190352758168

They go for generally $280. I'm not sure if they still offer 2-year warranties, but it is worth inquiring.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres also these
http://www.carid.com/2008-scion-xb-t...hts-92026.html
they're the cheapest for this style and can more than likely be found cheaper if you look around. I have been running them for almost a year and have never had a problem