Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission fitment question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Transmission fitment question?

I recently acquired an 05 camry 5 speed transmission, and planned on tearing it open and putting the gears in an xb 5 speed transmission.

It occurred to me that I might just be able to bolt the camry transmission in though.....any way I can check this without taking off my auto and "checking"?

Is there a website that might have the dimensions/compatibility of each?

If so, it will save me a good bit of money, and the time of disassembling both transmissions and swapping the gears.

Could someone post up some pictures of an xb2 manual tranny for comparison's sake?

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 08-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB2 manual transaxle is an E351 and was previously used with the Camry, though I don't know if that includes the 2005 model year. If your Camry trasnsaxle is that, you're probably OK for a direct install. There's a PDF dealing with the E351 in the rev2 techfiles I uploaded to File Factory -- it's in the Camry folder.

PS. Just checked the 2005 Camry manual transmissions and they're supposedly the E351.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
It occurred to me that I might just be able to bolt the camry transmission in though.....any way I can check this without taking off my auto and "checking"?

so your xb2 is auto right now? or is it manual? if it is the auto 5 speed i know the mounts and ecu are differant. and maybe the axels.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm -- OK, I guess I'm a little confused. Why would you want to move the gears from a Camry manual transaxle to an xB2 manual transaxle. What's the goal here?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ TrevorS

where did you reply go? you quoted me and said this:

"It's auto and good point, he'll definitely need to replace the mounts and ECU."
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by r2d2michael
@ TrevorS

where did you reply go? you quoted me and said this:

"It's auto and good point, he'll definitely need to replace the mounts and ECU."
Sorry dude! I think he has an automatic, but it suddenly (belatedly ) occurred to me that if he has an xB2 manual available, why would he want to move the Camry gears to the xB2 transaxle? So, I edited my post to reflect that. Didn't mean to leave you high and dry !
Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ its all good! i dont hink you could take gears out of a manual and put in an auto. they both have differant drive ratios. even if it was a 5speed auto i dont hink it would work. would do better just to swap out the tranny and costome make some stuff.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ trevorS: well, even if I already had a 5 speed, I would be trying to do this swap. My concern was that the trans wouldn't fit, and I would have to swap the gears into the xb2 5 speed.

My reasoning is the vastly different gear ratios. The xb2 has extremely close gears, while the camry's manual transmission is much more spaced out.

There is a thread in the tc1 section where they compare gears, final drives and achievable speed in each gear for the tc1 tranny and camry tranny. The camry's 5th gear can "theoretically" reach 190 (I'm never going to break 90 in the car,but just to show you how big the gear is) while our close ratio trans can reach 125-130.

Basically I'd like bigger gears in general since I spend ALOT of time on the highway.

If the transmission wouldn't bolt in, I would just swap the internals!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see, well it appears to me it probably bolts on given they're both designated E351, though as mentioned, you'll need to change mounts and ECU. Looking at the front half axle assembly numbers, the same ones are used on both manual and auto xB2. Of course, you're also going to need the clutch and gear shift components.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

soooo...inside the bell housing...im seeing "E350"...not "e351"......is it facepalm time, or can I phenaygle it in there?

Name:  IMAG0440.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0441.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0442.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  64.0 KB

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 08-17-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Camry appears to have used the 30300 5spt MT to 2001, then the E351 from 2002 through 2009, the EB62 6spd MT was also used in 2009 depending on model and fully replaced the E351 in 2010. I see no mention of an E350. My best guess is that might be a sub-designation that points toward the specific setup.

PS. It's been awhile since I had a good look at the top of the transaxle, but your photo appears to match pretty closely to what I remember when fussing with the shift bushings.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(Whew). Good to know!

Right now I'm thinking about installing an LSD while its just sitting there. I've been doing a LOT of searching, and am torn between buying the OBX lsd, tearing it apart and rebuilding it for $375 so I know what I have...or buying the trd/quaife (that I can't and will probably never be able to afford :/ ).

NOTE: all of the disassembly/reassembly will be done at a transmission shop who deals with these items on a regular basis :D.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't OBX the brand Descendent is using with their Scion mods? I looked into LSD earlier and concluded between cost, installation, and the uncertain improvement it would make, it's not a good move for me (yet to have TRAC kick-in due to spinning tires on pull out even when turning, though snow/ice conditions can make it flash if I'm not using snows). However, if you're going that route, OBX probably makes good sense and now is surely the time !
Old 08-20-2011, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe they are the brand Descendent is using actually.

Random question to the guru's...Will the wiring harness, clutch components (clutch, slave and master cylinder, shifter) from corollas work on the xb? I would think so, seeing as its the same engine/transmission...but I wasn't sure, and neither was the seller on fleabay.

If so, I'll be buying everything from one seller (trans ecu, ecu wiring harness, trans mounts, flywheel, clutch components, etc).

There are tons of wrecked corollas (08-10) on ebay, but only auto xb's (of course )
Old 08-20-2011, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Isn't OBX the brand Descendent is using with their Scion mods? I looked into LSD earlier and concluded between cost, installation, and the uncertain improvement it would make, it's not a good move for me (yet to have TRAC kick-in due to spinning tires on pull out even when turning, though snow/ice conditions can make it flash if I'm not using snows). However, if you're going that route, OBX probably makes good sense and now is surely the time !

After reading quite a few DIY OBX diff rebuild threads, I think im quite comfortable with buying it, taking it apart and deburring/rebuilding it for under $400.00.

My main reasoning for putting it in is that the "long term" plan is to put a hairdryer on the xb, hence the need for the larger gears (besides a much nicer cruising rpm of course).

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556
Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you've a pretty major project there ! I'm not meaning to dis' installing an LSD. My interest was specifically associated with winter driving, but having found the car to be pretty tractable with the OE tires (just a few TRAC flashes) and solid with snows, it just doesn't make sense for me. Keep us posted on how it goes !
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just ran across this post in the nearby LSD thread.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...86&postcount=3

Indication being the E350 is actually a tC1 transmission. I then verified the E350 was indeed the tC manual transmission prior to the tC2. I expect the difference is purely gearing, but it means your transaxle isn't from a Camry . Hope that isn't a major problem.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

. .

Well, so much for that project. Guess I'll put the trans up for sale and look for an xs650!

Thanks trevorS you saved me from being the world's most angry man had I actually gotten everything installed, only to find I had the wrong transmission.

EDIT: The other reason for me giving up is that I have been constantly emailing ebay sellers who were parting out xb2's, but refused to email me back when I would ask about any of the parts I needed. After a solid 2 weeks of that, and no answers when calling junk yards, etc, I'm about done.

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 08-25-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Major bummer dude and I'm really sorry to have had to bring you bad news ! By the way, feel free to call me 'Trevor' or even 'Trev'. You've been of great assistance to me (the header) and I much appreciate it. Best wishes with your further endeavors !
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, no need to be sorry trevor! You literally saved me from having steam come out of my ears the first time I drove it!

Im wondering if I can swap the final drive gear or not....

updates when I figure it out!

Quick Reply: Transmission fitment question?