Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Voltage Regulator for 2011 xB

Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 AM

Default Voltage Regulator for 2011 xB

Hey all, so I'm treading on new ground here and I'm hoping someone has some input they could offer. I'm wanting to adjust the output voltage of my alternator to around 18-18.5 volts.
I know it can be done on some vehicles and others not so much. Specifically GM and Ford trucks its very easy as well as any car more than 20 years old. Not so sure on this xB.
Any thoughts?

Also before anyone jumps the gun I already know that the factory electrical cant run on this. That part of the plan is already taken care of. Just need to figure out how to get my stock alt to charge a 16v battery.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-18-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Nope. Hit up Mechman or DC Power for a new alt to charge at that voltage. Hell, Excessive Amperage could probably do it too.

My alt charges at 13.8 if I'm lucky. Kinda irks me.

Good luck on your 16volt charging setup.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Nope. Hit up Mechman or DC Power for a new alt to charge at that voltage. Hell, Excessive Amperage could probably do it too.

My alt charges at 13.8 if I'm lucky. Kinda irks me.

Good luck on your 16volt charging setup.
Mechman has one, I'll also check with DC power and Excessive Amperage too.

I wonder has anyone pulled apart the alt to see if there is an adjustment screw on the regulator?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I have not. The OEM alternator has a clutch of sorts on it. The tC unit, does not. The alternator that I purchased had an OEM sized tC pulley on it. Needless to say, the belt did not fit with said pulley. I then had to purchase an NST aluminum unit, and the alternator works great.
I could have one of the guys at work pull my OEM alternator apart to see if there's any way to adjust the voltage, but I kind of doubt it.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
I have not. The OEM alternator has a clutch of sorts on it. The tC unit, does not. The alternator that I purchased had an OEM sized tC pulley on it. Needless to say, the belt did not fit with said pulley. I then had to purchase an NST aluminum unit, and the alternator works great.
I could have one of the guys at work pull my OEM alternator apart to see if there's any way to adjust the voltage, but I kind of doubt it.
If you get a chance that would be pretty cool. On the top if it there is the harness that connect the regulator to the computer of the car. it would be on that piece if there was one. If you dont I'll pull mine off to see. Many cars had it. Those that are external are much easier to do.