Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

weird clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default weird clutch issue

Hello Scionlifers,

I Have a Weird issue,that I'm Wondering if anyone of you Experienced before.

I"m Running the Act Street Clutch....Every few weeks,The engagement moves,I have it Where Stock use to be,give or take,I've noticed,it moves Closer to the floor,By itself...

I know a leak would Do this,cause I've replaced my master Cylinder a few times,But When the seals were toast,And i ajusted the push rod,The Engagement itself,would'nt make a difference,But in this case,it does...Does the Computer Have anything to do with the clutch...

I was thinking,Maybe There"s Air in the system..

Would like to get your gies Opions
Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you have in in the system if the engagement point is moving around on you. Adjust the rod back the the original starting point. Re-bleed the system and tweak the adjustment from there. If after locking the nut down, the engagement point moves again, I'd say you probably have a bad internal seal on the master.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, if after adjusting the push rod and you are for sure that it's locked down and its still moving, then yes, a seal must be bad, allowing air in and out.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your feedback,

I Actually bleed the system,Seems to be better,saw Some bubbles come out,see in the coming weeks,
I actually Rebuilt,my Master Cylinder in April of this year,Which Normally last me a year,before the seals give out again...
I usually do my slave at the same time,but didnt have them in stock at the time,i ordered the master,been over a yr,Since the slave was rebuilt...
Also got the extended push rod,which i herd,it decreases the life of the slave
Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely sounds like air in the system. Could be either the clutch master or slave cylinder that's causing the issue.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

This Morning,The clutch was Fine,it Engaged Where I had Placed it, Few Hours later,I could feel a difference within the clutch,meaning less traveling,of the clutch,the engagement point,went back to like lil over a inch from the floor,no where near,where i originally had it...Im gonna see if any more,air is in the system,if not,i picked up a slave cylinder,Repair kit,gonna do that,I'm Hoping,its not the master,
Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's more likely to be the master over the slave. If you're buying refurb from autozone (most vendors only sell refurb units) it's very plausible that the refurb units are the problem. Once I got three bad units in a row (yes it was bench bled first), installed a used one and the issue was rectified immediately.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kruso
It's more likely to be the master over the slave. If you're buying refurb from autozone (most vendors only sell refurb units) it's very plausible that the refurb units are the problem. Once I got three bad units in a row (yes it was bench bled first), installed a used one and the issue was rectified immediately.

Im Buying the Toyota genuine Master/Slave rebuild kits,I been through the Autozone crap,lasted me a few days..

Rebuilt my slave,Didnt Solve my issue,Guess Gotta rebuild the master again uughh...

I dont buy the actually master and slave,i just buy the seals and replace them,cheaper and makes more sense
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gp1817
Im Buying the Toyota genuine Master/Slave rebuild kits,I been through the Autozone crap,lasted me a few days..

Rebuilt my slave,Didnt Solve my issue,Guess Gotta rebuild the master again uughh...

I dont buy the actually master and slave,i just buy the seals and replace them,cheaper and makes more sense
What you're doing is what Autozone and stores alike do... the rebuild kits only give you the seals, they don't give you a sleeve (because there's no such thing, has to be remachined). You're going to have the same luck with these rebuild kits as with refurb units. If you don't want to spend the money for a new oem one, a used oem one is a better option then these rebuild kits.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What you're doing is what Autozone and stores alike do... the rebuild kits only give you the seals, they don't give you a sleeve (because there's no such thing, has to be remachined). You're going to have the same luck with these rebuild kits as with refurb units. If you don't want to spend the money for a new oem one, a used oem one is a better option then these rebuild kits.
What has to be Machined ???,Ive Bought a Actually new master before i knew about the rebuild kit,and still lasted the same as when i actually just replaced the internals.comes with the piston w/the seals on it w/ a new spring..Still the samething,All your paying for is the actual Housing,Why would i buy another one,when all i have to do,is replace the internals...the seals is what gives out...

Ive bought the autozones ones,and they dont even last a few weeks,w/any problems,

A used oem would give out,just as if i bought a new one,we just need stronger master cylinder,thats all,no matter if its,used or new...ive herd someone say about the mr2 master cylinder seals...idk,might give that a try,
Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What has to be Machined ???,Ive Bought a Actually new master before i knew about the rebuild kit,and still lasted the same as when i actually just replaced the internals.comes with the piston w/the seals on it w/ a new spring..Still the samething,All your paying for is the actual Housing,Why would i buy another one,when all i have to do,is replace the internals...the seals is what gives out...

Ive bought the autozones ones,and they dont even last a few weeks,w/any problems,

A used oem would give out,just as if i bought a new one,we just need stronger master cylinder,thats all,no matter if its,used or new...ive herd someone say about the mr2 master cylinder seals...idk,might give that a try,
What do you think those seals travels in?? That rod which holds the seals is effectively a piston and it travels inside the sleeve. Naturally both parts wear down. You keep replacing one of the two things. I don't know how much more of a plebeian way I can break this down for you further. The thing you're referring to as the "housing" contains the sleeve. I've operated on thousands of cars, if you're having to take apart either the master or slave cylinder... either there is something chronically wrong with your setup (ie... much higher rated pressure plate than what the slave/master can handle) or you're working with defective equipment.

Kruso
Old 08-12-2014, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you think those seals travels in?? That rod which holds the seals is effectively a piston and it travels inside the sleeve. Naturally both parts wear down. You keep replacing one of the two things. I don't know how much more of a plebeian way I can break this down for you further. The thing you're referring to as the "housing" contains the sleeve. I've operated on thousands of cars, if you're having to take apart either the master or slave cylinder... either there is something chronically wrong with your setup (ie... much higher rated pressure plate than what the slave/master can handle) or you're working with defective equipment.

Kruso

nothing wrong w/ mysetup, i have the act street clutch w/ heavy duty pressure plate,which is %40 more pressure and stiffer then stock,ive read on other forums where,others scions owners w/ this clutch setup,actually keep the master/slave kits on hand as its regular maintenance...cause they go out pretty quick,the seals break down alot quick,

All i know is that replacing the whole master cylinder vs just doing the internals,from my experience and others people,theres no difference...i understand what your saying,but doesnt make sense as far as the actual sleeve being defective or needing machine work,cause the seals has the fit in there snug..

Actually is was recommened to me that rebuilding is better off vs replacing the actual unit..idk...
Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing wrong w/ mysetup, i have the act street clutch w/ heavy duty pressure plate,which is %40 more pressure and stiffer then stock,ive read on other forums where,others scions owners w/ this clutch setup,actually keep the master/slave kits on hand as its regular maintenance...cause they go out pretty quick,the seals break down alot quick,
Then I'm not sure what the purpose behind your original post was.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

All i know is that replacing the whole master cylinder vs just doing the internals,from my experience and others people,theres no difference...i understand what your saying,but doesnt make sense as far as the actual sleeve being defective or needing machine work,cause the seals has the fit in there snug..

Actually is was recommened to me that rebuilding is better off vs replacing the actual unit..idk...
Obviously the clutch setup you have is to strong for your stock master cylinder if you're rebuilding this unit every year, so either go back to a stock clutch or rip out your existing hydraulics and replace it with aftermarket equipment.

Last edited by Kik; 08-14-2014 at 04:26 PM.