Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

I know its been discussed but, Towing with a tC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I'm guessing it's because the FWD platform just isn't great for towing in general. That along with the fact people are confused and think tCs are precious sports cars. With a stock tC I would understand towing a two-seater jet ski or the smallest U-Haul travel trailer.
This is only with the right equipment and and educated driver that also won't overlaid the vehicle or trailer. My sister's '98 caravan has a 3.0L V6 and is a FWD platform yet has the capability to tow.

My T100 truck has a 2.7L 4-cylinder. It's not that the tC lacks power...more so lower gearing, lack of structural frame, suspension, and being "wrong wheel drive".

Love Lake Belton...Temple Lake Park has gotten a little too busy for my tastes though. Been launching our boat near McGregor Park (Must have a truck to do this).

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JahJosef
Love Lake belton...Temple Lake park has gotten a little too busy for my tastes though. been launching our boat near McGregor Park(Must have a truck to do this).
Hey bud, Temple Lake has been less busy lately, on Saturday and Sunday. Most of the knuckle heads must be going to Blora.
TLP is not like it was last year, where you had to wait inline just to get in.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So Reviving! Anyone have any input since last year? A friend of mine is selling a Jet Ski and trailer and I'm thinking about buying it, and I know my DD Civic can't tow it.

Was wondering if anyone has towed a ski with a tC? A friend of mine had a trailer hitch and trailer w/a Jet Ski on it he towed with an SRT-4 Neon and he never had any problems.

Just Curious

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've towed a Seadoo Xp on a tandem trailer for a 4 hour trip. At the time my Cherokee was torn apart so I managed with the tC. Total loaded trailer weight was ~800 lbs. If you drive like a sane person and have experience towing it isn't noticeable behind you. Tongue weight wasn't more than 75lbs.

My local U-Haul has always been very stringent on their policies, but still approve me to tow their 400lb(trailer's weight) "Sport", and still be able to squeeze nearly 500lbs payload into it. I would not feel comfortable towing anything over a Seadoo and trailer. And be careful...I hear the new larger Skis are heavy as sin.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the input. At the MOST I'd prolly have to tow it 30 miles. Luckily I live close to the Chesapeake Bay . If the price is right on the ski, I'll post pics and input
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tie a rope to the antenna and tow away.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Why are people soo touchy about 'towing' and 'tC' being in the same sentence. Ain't it possible to atleast tow a jet ski? We have good torque, OK horsepower, we can make it up a non-steep boat ramp.
I can roll a jet ski trailer in the water with my own hands. They are very balanced.

I wouldn't be worried about putting the boat in the water its getting it out. The Jet Ski could take your tC in the water with it.

When we take our boat to the Lake when we pull it out of the water we always put the truck in 4 Low. I would be careful.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm not a expert with towing but i have been doing it for some time with my Ranger. I'm interested in putting a tow-hitch on my tC. I have a small 6ft trailer that I'm gonna start loading up to put my car show supplies on for my club
(Tents, coolers, etc...) If I'm not mistaken. You cant have no more than 800lbs in the vehicle (max weight) but class one hitches can only hold 200lbs directly on them. The rest of the weight has to be on the trailer wheels.

Me personally i pull 40ft trailers with 3 cars, luggage, tools, and tires to different events. Depending on how you load a trailer, is what determined if your vehicle can handle it. as long as the heaviest part is loaded on the trailer
closest to the wheels but offset toward the vehicle. You car will barely dip down once the trailer is on. I have loaded a trailer with about 400lbs of cement blocks on to a lowered Sentra. The car hasn't dip at all.

This just my .02 cents but me honestly I will tow with the tC as long as the trailer is loaded correctly.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2020 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default How 'bout a small sailboat just up and down the ramp?

I am thinking of purchasing a 350-lb. sailboat with a trailer of similar weight. I just want to use a 2007 tC to pull the boat in and out of the water. It will be parked 100 feet away in a little boat-only parking area. Does that seem like an okay plan?

No warranty to worry about.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:33 PM

I've pulled a pair of jet ski's (1350 lbs) over 600 miles, and done some steep hills and through the mountains in TN. I never put them in or pulled them out of the water. If you're OK with using the tow hook on the rear of the car, you should be fine with using a hitch, because it mounts to the tow hook spot and the equivalent structural support on the other side of the car. There's more than enough power; the auto trans does well; there's more than enough brakes. My biggest concern for watercraft would be traction at the ramp, if I was going to use them for that.