Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Whining sound in 2nd and 3rd gear while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 AM

Question Whining sound in 2nd and 3rd gear while accelerating

I have a 2006 scion tc with 178000 miles on it. I just put in a new clutch. When we took the transmission off there wasn't any gear oil or any drop of fluid that came out. Idk how I didn't sieze my transmission lol who knows how long I drove with no gear oil. Im not too good with cars but I know just a few things. My buddy is the master mechanic not me. Anyway, before I put the clutch in it never really made the whining sound at all but now its definitely noticeable. Is it just because theres no gear oil? What would u guys do in this situation? I need some good advice guys I just got my car fixed after it sat in the driveway for 6 months I don't wanna have to fix something else. Any advice/help is always helpful. Thanks. Everything is stock on my car. I tried looking for other "whining sound" threads but couldn't find one about my situation.

Today is Friday Nov 6, so later today after I cash the paycheck im putting gear oil in it which will most likely fix the sound. If that fixes the sound ill be happy, but if that doesn't fix the sound then I bet its a bad bearing or something and ill make a video so everyone can hear it. only put 10 miles on it since the new clutch was put on. if u need any more info just let me know. im trying to be as descriptive as possible

Last edited by tdh0085; 11-06-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 11-06-2015, 03:31 PM

damn 150 people read this and didn't reply...I figured id get at least 1 or 2
Old 11-06-2015, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, these forums are dead now, and it's only been a day. The only people that post are people in your situation that need answers. There's a few of us lurking around from time to time that try to help where possible.

Regarding your questions, any answers you get is going to be nothing but speculation. However, I can tell you this much.

1. Please refrain from driving your car until you have gear oil.
2. While adding oil may alleviate the symptoms you have, it doesn't address the root cause: Where did your oil go? I'm guessing bad axle seals (one or both)
3. Assuming your seals are bad, they need to be replaced. You need to replace them before refilling with gear oil. This unfortunately involves pulling the axles again. Probably would have been wise to change them out when the clutch was done, especially if you noticed it was bone dry.

Also, the sound could be from another source. I had a shop swap my trans after I put an LSD into a spare. I had a strange noise under load. Turns out the steering rack bolts were loose and vibrating. Tightened them down and the noise went away. Don't rule out this other stuff. A clutch replacement is a fairly large job considering everything that needs to be removed just to get access.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Honestly, these forums are dead now, and it's only been a day. The only people that post are people in your situation that need answers. There's a few of us lurking around from time to time that try to help where possible.

Regarding your questions, any answers you get is going to be nothing but speculation. However, I can tell you this much.

1. Please refrain from driving your car until you have gear oil.
2. While adding oil may alleviate the symptoms you have, it doesn't address the root cause: Where did your oil go? I'm guessing bad axle seals (one or both)
3. Assuming your seals are bad, they need to be replaced. You need to replace them before refilling with gear oil. This unfortunately involves pulling the axles again. Probably would have been wise to change them out when the clutch was done, especially if you noticed it was bone dry.

Also, the sound could be from another source. I had a shop swap my trans after I put an LSD into a spare. I had a strange noise under load. Turns out the steering rack bolts were loose and vibrating. Tightened them down and the noise went away. Don't rule out this other stuff. A clutch replacement is a fairly large job considering everything that needs to be removed just to get access.
thanks for the reply man. yea I shoulda changed the seals while the axels were out but I didn't have the cash... I just bought some cheap gear oil to put in it just to see if its leaking. if its not leaking then after new years im gonna put some good oil in it. the whining sound might be a bearing somewhere. I don't think its the carrier bearing its gotta be something internal. and idk how these forums are dead lol. in my opinion if theyre dead then the site should be taken down. its very misleading cuz someone could post a serious question that they really need an answer to but no one is gonna reply cuz A. either people don't care cuz its not relevant to them, or B. no one will see it cuz no one ever gets on this site anymore. not trying to bash anyone or the site this is just my opinion.. thanks again for the reply.