Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD RSB stiffness vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD RSB stiffness vs stock

Considering getting the Hotchkiss kit because of oversteer on TRD RSB sport setting. I need the stiffness comparison to stock that the TRD RSB provides. Anyone know?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
Considering getting the Hotchkiss kit because of oversteer on TRD RSB sport setting. I need the stiffness comparison to stock that the TRD RSB provides. Anyone know?
Your question is confusing...Lets see if I am reading this right, so your saying that because you have too much oversteer with the TRD Rear Sway Bar you want to get a hotchkis sway bar set?

Problem is that the hotchkis set is just as aggressive if not more aggressive than just having the TRD RSB. Also the front bar is a total PITA to install and this bar will also promote oversteer by making turn in more sharp. So going this route is not really the right answer...

If your looking to keep the stiff but not oversteer you need to go back to the stock sway bar, and upgrade to coilovers or a sport shock/spring set such as the TRD Sport struts and springs.

Maybe something like this: TRD Sport Struts and Lowering Springs Special at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

FSB creates understeer, RSB oversteer

already have aftermarket suspension

to answer my own question, the tRD RSB has 2 settings, with values of

*39% more anti-roll than stock
*64% more anti-roll than stock
Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are partially right about the FSB creating understeer. It depends on the chassis setup as a whole and the relative size and strength of the front bar compared to the rear. There is A LOT of information on this topic on Google...I'm not looking for an argument just stating that for outsiders looking in.

Last edited by Taintstick; 09-04-2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: deleted question, realized that he answered his own question.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats your opinion on matching stiffness settings btwn front/rear?

I got the hotchkis set which provides 40%/69% stiffer in the front, but their rear provides 273%/304%/338%.

That rear is markedly stiffer than the tRD
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a tough question, it has been well covered in other forums.

My opinion is that if you go more stiff in the rear than the front you will oversteer.
More stiff in the front than the rear and you will understeer.

BUT there are a ton of variables, for instance, if you are too weak up front the car will kind of roll over on the front outside tire causing a positive camber type effect...resulting in the car pushing through turns.

(These are hypothetical situations results may vary)

Another would be a perfectly even set up with rock hard suspension. All four tires will maintain full contact throughout the turn resulting in maximum traction. However the front will have much more weight (Front engine car) keeping them glued to the pavement while the rear may have issues holding contact without added weight.

It is a balancing act IMO...Thats where I'm going to stop, The best way to find what works is research and testing.

Last edited by Taintstick; 09-04-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2014, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm at 69% stiffer on the front hotchkis and 273% on the rear hotchkis.

I'm not getting much oversteer and don't want more. I guess I'll try medium or full stiff on the RSB to see how it is but am really happy with this upgrade. Between the lubrication and fresh bushings there is a significant difference.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to ask what you thought of the set as a whole, nice review...that huge hollow bar in the rear is what steered me away from hotchkis b/c I have the energy polyurethane bushings. I went with the TRD RSB set to full stiffness and stock FSB.

There was a lot of oversteer at first, it was a little wicked and unpredictable. I didn't want a front sway bar b/c i liked the oversteer it just needed toned down. I decided to install TRD shocks and springs for more stiffness. The shocks and springs made a worlds difference, made the car more predictable but i was still having some inconsistencies. Oversteer was reduced but still more than I wanted.

My most recent and final addition to suspension was the TB Performance front and rear underbody braces. Those braces took out the inconsistencies and tightened up the front end. I love it, all together it handles on a freakin' rail. Ride is a little stiff for my liking but i deal with it, oversteer is minimal and when it does step out I can control it.

Let me know what you think of the different settings if you ever test them out. It seems like we have a similar end product but a completely different approach to get there. Kinda crazy