Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

PT546-00140 installation on '11 tC

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default PT546-00140 installation on '11 tC

Hey everyone,
I'm currently trying to install the HU PT546-00140 on my 2011 tC.
I got all the adapters needed for the switch from the stock basic model I had (cant remember the Pt number).
I do not have the Bespoke Premium audio.
After plugging in all the cables, the radio turns on fine everything works except i get no sound of out it.
Do I need a new amp or something else i might be missing
Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I replaced my Pioneer HU with another aftermarket Pioneer HU. You may want to make sure you have the amp turn on wire properly wired up. Its been sometime since I did my install, but I believe it was a blue wire. If I'm no mistaken, it should be wired to an accessory power source so it would on when the key was turned to the ACC or ON positions. Also make sure all the connections are secure. The best method is solder and heat shrink.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member

I see the blue wire, where would I plug it too?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member

This is what the back of the new HU looks like. I have the blue wire sticking out from the antenna adapter.
Attached Thumbnails PT546-00140 installation on '11 tC-image.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by FrankieD
This is what the back of the new HU looks like. I have the blue wire sticking out from the antenna adapter.
Did you ever get this problem resolved? What was the fix?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Check the gray plug to the right. The stock unit has that plug connected.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default PT546-00140 install in 2010 xB

Hey everyone,

im currently trying to install the HU pt 546 00140 on my 2011 tc.
i got all the adapters needed for the switch from the stock basic model i had(cant remember the pt number). I do not have the Bespoke Premium audio.
After plugging in all the cables, the radio turns on fine everything works except i get no sound of out it.
Do i need a new amp or something else i might be missing
any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!
I'm having the exact same issue... everything works but no sound. Used OEM wiring harness adapters, OEM bluetooth kit, OEM backup camera kit.
I have searched several scion club sites... haven't had any replies to posts. I've seen others post about this issue but haven't seen any answers... but a lot of guys have this deck installed in their xB... ANY HELP???
Old 05-29-2019, 11:57 PM
SL Member

I recently installed the exact head unit as the OP and ran into the same issue with no sound. For reference, my car is a 2011 Canadian model tC. My issue was resolved with the installation of the antenna harness (part #: PT546-00120-AD). When I initially installed the unit I only plugged in the 28 pin harness (part #: PT546-00120-CH) which produced no sound but the unit powered on and connected to Bluetooth just fine. Once I installed the antenna harness everything worked. So for those of you who have a similar issue, you need to make sure you have both the 28 pin harness (PT546-00120-CH) and the antenna harness (PT546-00120-AD). I believe the cause of this "no sound" issue is the fact that the antenna harness also supplies power to the amplifier.

As an aside, I've read in several places that Canadian model tCs came equipped with Toyota's BLU Logic system as standard. I noticed when I had the head unit removed that the BLU Logic system intercepts the main harnesses on the tC. The regular OEM harness plugs into the BLU Logic harness, which then connects into the radio. So for those with BLU Logic systems installed you will need to unhook these connections (2 plugs) and ensure you plug the OEM harness into the new head unit. If you leave them connected you will still get sound but you will have two Bluetooth connections now and it can get confusing. Although the microphone appears to be the same design as the OEM Toyota microphone you can buy separately, the BLU Logic microphone does NOT plug into the new radio or the new 28 pin harness (you will notice the 28 pin harness has 2 ends, one large end for the main connection, and the second smaller end is for a microphone).

Hopefully this helps someone in the future as I was unable to find any threads with a solution to this issue.

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-30-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:28 AM

Hey everyone,

I know its been a while for most on this post but what parts did people use to get the Bluetooth to work, microphone, USB connection (if needed) and conversion harnesses for the swap. I bought a 2011tc for a back up car and the current radio is driving me nuts! Lol
Old 02-23-2024, 03:01 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chand5999
Hey everyone,

I know its been a while for most on this post but what parts did people use to get the Bluetooth to work, microphone, USB connection (if needed) and conversion harnesses for the swap. I bought a 2011tc for a back up car and the current radio is driving me nuts! Lol
If you are looking to retrofit an OEM head unit from a later year tC or FRS/GT86/BRZ the part numbers are all there if you just need the head unit functional. If you want to get the microphone to work, you will need the OEM microphone which is located in the map light dome. Assuming you are buying a used head unit, I'm certain you could get the microphone part from the same supplier. the USB connection is already supplied in the 2011 and plugs right into the retrofitted head unit.

At this point, these are fairly old cars and few Toyota dealers even know what a Scion tC is anymore. I would actually suggest you buy an aftermarket head unit which would have all the functions you are looking for without the need to source rare and hard-to-find parts. Crutchfield has a good selection and incredible support, that would be the place I recommend you shop if you end up going aftermarket.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:40 PM

The parts place gave me the head unit and all the speakers for cheap cheap which is why I decided to do this route instead of aftermarket. I'm not looking for great quality just that it works and I can connect via Bluetooth haha.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:52 PM
SL Member

Ahh, gotcha. So the microphone that is standard in 2012+ models (and I'm sure other Toyota/Scion models) is located in the map light/sunroof switch trim located on the ceiling. The microphone has a built in amplifier so you are stuck having to source the OEM part if you are looking to retrofit bluetooth voice functions. Aftermarket microphones will NOT work because they are not amplified. If you are handy with electricals/circuitry/soldering I'm sure you could build your own wiring to connect the OEM microphone to your head unit. Your best bet, if you don't want to get into making your own harness, is to locate a tC in a self-serve salvage yard. That way you can rip open the trim and get the microphone and harness yourself.

If you manage to get it done, make sure to let the community know how it went. This stuff is pretty uncharted territory and would be nice for future users to have something to reference if they decide to do it themselves.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:58 PM

I'm still working on getting the back up camera to work but I'll provide a detailed description of what I did for everything 👍