Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

2011+ Scion tC Bulb Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aisakura7
Hey that would be super helpful! Do you have any pictures of what your wife's look like at night? I'm trying to convince my husband this would be the way to go, I'm just worried about them over heating or shutting off while driving. Haven't had any problems with them? Thanks for your help!
I wish I had taken pics of the difference when I installed but I didnt. I can take a picture of what it looks like at night but I don't think it will really show how much brighter. If I had to say a number ide say about 50-60 percent brighter and about 30 maybe 40 feet further you can see. My wife and I drive a dangerous road here and she's really happy with how much more light there is now. There's also no overheating so far and she's had them for about a month now. Her typical commute is about 1-1.5 hours. Mainly it's the ballasts that you worry about overheating but fortunately where I mounted them it stays really cool and lots of air flow. The ones that over Heat are the cheap kits and by cheap I mean 70 bucks and under. Xenon depot makes really good stuff and they came highly recommended from everyone on the forums as well as reviews. One thing you will need to know is hid bulbs have a life expectancy of about 2 years so they do need to be replaced more often then regular bulbs. Honestly tho it's super easy to do the bulbs. I was thinking just to be safe I would replace after 18 months. I was skeptical about hids at first too but they are the better choice for our stock headlights. The LEDs will be bright but they won't travel very far, the cars that use them have specially tailored headlights to focus the light. For our stock set up they won't be as good as hids.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by jaden_c
I wish I had taken pics of the difference when I installed but I didnt. I can take a picture of what it looks like at night but I don't think it will really show how much brighter. If I had to say a number ide say about 50-60 percent brighter and about 30 maybe 40 feet further you can see. My wife and I drive a dangerous road here and she's really happy with how much more light there is now. There's also no overheating so far and she's had them for about a month now. Her typical commute is about 1-1.5 hours. Mainly it's the ballasts that you worry about overheating but fortunately where I mounted them it stays really cool and lots of air flow. The ones that over Heat are the cheap kits and by cheap I mean 70 bucks and under. Xenon depot makes really good stuff and they came highly recommended from everyone on the forums as well as reviews. One thing you will need to know is hid bulbs have a life expectancy of about 2 years so they do need to be replaced more often then regular bulbs. Honestly tho it's super easy to do the bulbs. I was thinking just to be safe I would replace after 18 months. I was skeptical about hids at first too but they are the better choice for our stock headlights. The LEDs will be bright but they won't travel very far, the cars that use them have specially tailored headlights to focus the light. For our stock set up they won't be as good as hids.

Awesome! I Just placed the order, they were on sale so I couldn't say no. If you can send pictures of how you set up the ballasts, like the spot you put them in, that would be awesome (and how you attached them, I'm assuming zip ties are probably a no go?) I'm super new to this, coming from a 97 wrangler where the whole lamp was a replace plug and play, so any bit of info or instructions would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully my husband can give me a hand
Old 03-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaden_c
Spend the extra money and get the Phillips too. They have a regular kit and a Phillips one. The Phillips is better. It's their extreme hid kit. 9012 bulbs | 9012 HID Kits | 9012 automotive bulbs
Did you get the CAN bus as well? ( i have no idea what that is )
Old 03-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Sure I would be happy to take pics, hopefully I can figure out how to upload them here lol. They come with super strong 3m adhesive and others have used it but I'm paranoid so I actually screwed it the ballasts to the frame and zip tied the switch on top of the ballast with an "x" formation to keep it secure. That was actually the first thing I did before i ordered them was scope out my wife's car and see how much room I had to work with before I committed to telling her I would do it ;) there is a really good spot below your washer fluid canister, nice and flat surface I was able to get 1 self tapping metal waterproof screw into and it holds really well. That's the side I zip tied the switch onto. The other side ( drivers side) right below the battery is another flat spot to screw the other ballast onto. The drivers side I had to zip tie the switch under a flange where the hood comes down (I'll take pics and you will see) it looks fine and everything is hidden. But the switch is light so I don't mind zip ties in that but the ballasts you really want to be secure. Some things you will need tho are an impact drill with a long extension bit and by long I mean like 12 inches or more so the drill clears all the hoses and things in the way. I'm an electrician so I had most of the things I needed so I'm hoping you have drills and things but if not you may have to go with the 3m adhesive unless you want to spend more money on the drill. That was about it for parts and tools I needed. Also you won't need the can bus it's for communication with cars that have special driving lights and what not. Our scions have driving lights but not fancy fancy ones lol so we don't need the can bus. I'll try and take pics tomorrow cuz my wife gets home too late to take pics.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Oh also you can check out this video on YouTube it helped out a lot for me understanding some things https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxb-S4wZzxc
Old 12-07-2016, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2015 Fogs

Are there any forums on how to replace the fog bulbs on a 2015 tC? My first time ever replacing fog light bulbs just wanna know the best way to do it.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 AM

For the 14 - 15 tC I have to strongly disagree with the hid bulb size. I have bought 4 different hid kits for my 2015 and they keep sending me that 9006 bulb and without fail the bulb (((((WILL NOT))))) fit in the headlight housing. Tabs on the bulbs are completely different. 9012 and 9006 are not the same so why are they shown as compatible....? 9012 halogen bulbs fit perfectly but even when I order a 9012 hid I get a bulb that looks exactly like a 9006. Extremely frustrated and would like to hear some good advice for hid shopping.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by simons122
Extremely frustrated and would like to hear some good advice for hid shopping.
The LEDs I purchased said 9006/HB4
Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 AM

Hi All,
I am looking forward purchase this LED low beams and high beams package . 9005 + H11 Total 1800W 270000LM CREE LED Headlight Kit High & Low Light Bulbs | eBay
My question is on the far left end of 9005 high beam light, there is not enough housing space to fit heat sinker of let light. Will this 9005 light fit into that ? Will I be having housing issue with these bulbs?
Some advise will be highly appreciated. Thanks