2005 xA slight buzz at 3,500 rpms - Scionlife.com

Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 02-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Default 2005 xA slight buzz at 3,500 rpms

Hello, just picked up a 2005 xA last week with 158k miles in great shape. I really love this little car!
I noticed at 3,500 rpms, there is a slight buzz in the engine....I can feel it in my seat and through the floor. It does it in every gear and at any speed as I am driving. If I keep accelerating, the buzzing stops at like 3800 or so.
Is this the VVT-i working? Maybe the valves need adjusting or is this normal?
Thanks for any help or info!

Last edited by Farnsrocket; 02-17-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #2

168 views and no ideas?
Old 09-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #3

Hello Farnsrocket,

I actually made this account specifically to reply to this post. Are you still having this problem or did you get it fixed? I purchased my 06' XA with 128k and it also had this issue, which was quite annoying because the car sits at 3500rpm @ 70mph, my normal highway speed. Like you this happened in all gears, regardless of speed, beginning about 3300 and ending about 3800 - and only when the car is in gear.

So just FYI these are the repairs I have made to date:

New rear axle and axle seals
New brakes and rotors
New wheels and tires
New control arms
Front end alignment
New belts (both)
Clean throttle body
2 full cans of Seafoam run through fuel system during several fuel-ups (premium fuel)
New Accel coil packs
Iridium plugs
Replace airbox with Injen CAI and TBS
Replace intake manifold with Weapon R model
Replace exhaust header with Weapon R model
New stage 2 clutch from Clutchmasters
New light flywheel from Clutchmasters

Theres more but I am losing track... the last part with the clutch kit and flywheel was specifically done to address this 3500rpm vibe issue, the thought being my pilot bushing might be shot - clutch needed to be done anyway. I completed that job today and the test drive seems to indicate some of the vibration went away, but I will need more time to tell. The next step is replacing the exhaust from the header back with 2.5" pipe, a high flow cat, and a Flowmaster DBX muffler to get some better flow - hopefully smoothing things out further and fully utilizing the header/manifold/CAI/TBS combo.

I hope this helps if you are still having the issue, I will post back in a few days after I've had time to test the new clutch out.

-Ian
Connollyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

Ok so I did a pretty good amount of highway driving today and I can confirm that the new pilot bushing/clutch and flywheel has lessened the vibration but not eliminated it. Its definitely better than it was but its not perfect, certainly livable considering the the car is almost 11Y/O.

Perhaps this is also the frequency that my exhaust is resonating at.... New cat and muffler are on the way - will advise once they are installed.

-Ian
Connollyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #5

This ended up being a bad water pump for me!