Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

feels like my 5spd is on downers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default feels like my 5spd is on downers...

thought i would share cuz i am board at work, the day before a holiday..
feels like my 04 5spd is running sluggishly.. seems that my non-modded 06 auto is much quicker and smoother off the line and through the rpm range..
plugs are new and gapped properly, air filter is clean and properly oiled, maf is clean and my mileage is still 20+city 35+highway, tires inflated properly.. motor revs up quickly, but seems like i am all noise and no go, power isn't being transfered to the wheels..
i wonder if i should be thinking about replacing the clutch, but it doesn't feel like it's slipping at all.
Plenty of power at highway speeds 3k-6k rpm, but damed if i can jog faster then my box off the line..
anything i can do to boost my low / mid range?
I am n/a, and no longer have a/f management, would it even be worth it to take to a dyno shop and try to have them do a tune or a couple pulls to see what my numbers and a/f ratio are?

I dont want a race car, thats why i got rid of my v8 and went econo style but i still find myself wanting more just a little pep after cia/4-1header/exaust/irridium plugs/lightened pulley. I don't want to go forced induction, do i even have any options left? Is it possible that my dynamat, speaker box, and wide tracks have added soo much weight as to rob me of my pep? Would a slipping belt be the culprit? Could it be that my cat is getting plugged up after 48k miles?

I kinda just think that after all the mods i have done i should be at the least quicker then my stocker... Or am i living in a dream reality? Do you others feel the same or do your n/a boxes fly

What do you members think? lets keep the comments constructive and informative..
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think my 5speed flies, in xB land, but honestly, I am still WAY faster than a stock auto

Slight clutch slippage may be to blame.. you know, just that very first sign..

Or you happened upon poor fuel..

Something like the MAF could be reading funny

Not sure
Old 02-13-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

P.S. to actually dyno tune with management on a n/a box has been goal of mine as well.. one day I will find out
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: feels like my 5spd is on downers...

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
thought i would share cuz i am board at work, the day before a holiday..
feels like my 04 5spd is running sluggishly.. seems that my non-modded 06 auto is much quicker and smoother off the line and through the rpm range..
plugs are new and gapped properly, air filter is clean and properly oiled, maf is clean and my mileage is still 20+city 35+highway, tires inflated properly.. motor revs up quickly, but seems like i am all noise and no go, power isn't being transfered to the wheels..
i wonder if i should be thinking about replacing the clutch, but it doesn't feel like it's slipping at all.
Plenty of power at highway speeds 3k-6k rpm, but damed if i can jog faster then my box off the line..
anything i can do to boost my low / mid range?
I am n/a, and no longer have a/f management, would it even be worth it to take to a dyno shop and try to have them do a tune or a couple pulls to see what my numbers and a/f ratio are?

I dont want a race car, thats why i got rid of my v8 and went econo style but i still find myself wanting more just a little pep after cia/4-1header/exaust/irridium plugs/lightened pulley. I don't want to go forced induction, do i even have any options left? Is it possible that my dynamat, speaker box, and wide tracks have added soo much weight as to rob me of my pep? Would a slipping belt be the culprit? Could it be that my cat is getting plugged up after 48k miles?

I kinda just think that after all the mods i have done i should be at the least quicker then my stocker... Or am i living in a dream reality? Do you others feel the same or do your n/a boxes fly

What do you members think? lets keep the comments constructive and informative..
How much dyna-mat you use? Adding weight to the box will slow it down at launch, same with wide tires and heavy rims. How much weight is in the speaker box ?

I would think it is more of a weight problem, when I add my sons ( all BIG BOYS) take off gets slower but highway speeds are good.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same issue with my kids in the car.. huge difference ^
Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all dyna matt and speaker box totaled up may be about the weight of 1 passenger if that(full car dynamat, doors, hatch, headliner, floor, firewall - speaker box is constructed of 3/4'' MDF @ 1.5cubic feet internal airspace takes up the back of the hatch but not outrageous), not really enough to make it feel that sluggish.. I am leaning twords early signs of clutch slippage and the staggerd widetracks(they are pretty heavy). I have ran a few tanks of fuel (chevron from different stations) so i know thats not really the culprit.

I just think that i would have noticed it more when i got new rims if the added weight was slowing me down.. Just figured all the members here may have suggestions and comments.

Thanks again for the feedback..When the rain stops in CA i'll try swapping rims out with the ones on my other xb and see if that makes a noticable difference, if so I may consider selling the axis rims and getting some 15's and coilovers, but damned if them wide tracks dont give me wood every time i see em
Old 02-14-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

your rims and tire weight will make a large difference. 10 pounds of rotating mass is equal to 100lbs of dead weight. i know just adding 5lbs pre tire becuase i went from a 50 to a 60 sidewall, and the larger diameter messed up my accelartion alot, and im auto. if the rim swap doesnt fix it. then id inspect your clutch bot alot of miles but you never know. us cali drivers deal with alot of stop n go, and thatll kill a clutch lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM

just need some advice.. not sure if this is the right forum... just got my first box, an 05 manual... bought some tyfun rims and 215 45 R17 87V federal tires... first time ive owned rims.. i live in upstate NY.. should probably wait until at least late march to put them on? how would they handle with a little snow? also want to make sure they will fit correctly... i read that 45 is the biggest you can go without rubbing... any input? also is there anything else I should do before mounting them? the tires came mounted on the rims but should i get an alignment too when i put them on? thanks a lot..