Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Interest in Mid-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Interest in Mid-Pipe?

So I was on the hunt for an exhaust for the xB and i noticed that none of them were coming cat back. All are axle back. I wondered why this was so then Van told me that
the mid-pipe on this car includes the factory cat and resonator all in one piece. This is why no aftermarket company will touch it. I had a 99 Miata that was built much the same way.

The reason i even bring this topic up is because of what Van told me. He mentioned that the stock mid-pipe is extremely restrictive after the resonator and a lot of power maybe lurking in that kink.

Anyhow, long story short, i plan on doing what i did with my Miata and having a custom mid pipe built which will include a hi flow cat and resonator so it stays completely legal. I'm sure that with a nice muffler this set up alone can yield an honest 5 horses to the wheels.
Thankfully, I also have access to a Dyno so everything will be documented and printed. The nice thing about this is that it will be a complete bolt on affair so if you have a stock rear set up or another aftermarket set up, you will def notice the improvement.

Would anyone else be interested in something like this? I'm sure if we can get enough heads into this, the cost will not be much. So who is with me?????

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-29-2021 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-22-2003, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends for me, how similar are the exhaust piping for an xA vs. the xB? j/c, but definitely keep us all posted and goodluck

edit, edit!!

I had forgotten about Gabe's/Stylis' work, which is weird because I just talked to him this weekend about it. He has done a high flow resonator/catback system, I believe he has is installed on Roger's/Scionara's xB.. sorry, my mind slipped
Old 10-22-2003, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u might wanna talk to Stylis for cat back exhaust...
he did a couple of catbacks for scion...
Old 10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought a 5Zigen axel back from Van and Stylis made me a 2.25 piping with hi-flow resonator from the cat back to the rear axel. If I decide to change the axel back exhaust, it can be easily removed/replaced. I love it. I'm just wondering how much hp/torque gain from this but the xB seems to pull stronger.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Default Re: Interest in mid pipe?

Originally Posted by Docofmind
Anyhow, long story short, i plan on doing what i did with my miata and having a custom mid pipe built which will include a hi flow cat and resonator so it stays completely legal. Im sure that with a nice muffler this set up alone can yield an honest 5 horses to the wheels. Thankfully, I also have access to a dyno so everything will be documented and printed. The nice thing about this is that it will be a complete bolt on affair so if you have a stock rear set up or another aftermarket set up, you will def notice the improvement.
i heard that its illegal to replace your cat unless your car has X amount of miles, or the stock cat is damaged.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Interest in mid pipe?

Originally Posted by randode
Originally Posted by Docofmind
Anyhow, long story short, i plan on doing what i did with my miata and having a custom mid pipe built which will include a hi flow cat and resonator so it stays completely legal. Im sure that with a nice muffler this set up alone can yield an honest 5 horses to the wheels. Thankfully, I also have access to a dyno so everything will be documented and printed. The nice thing about this is that it will be a complete bolt on affair so if you have a stock rear set up or another aftermarket set up, you will def notice the improvement.
i heard that its illegal to replace your cat unless your car has X amount of miles, or the stock cat is damaged.
Technically, it may be illegal to change the cat if you are under a certain amount of miles. For me, it was never an issue. The police have a lot better things to do than to date your car and your mileage. If you have a cat, thats all that matters.

I didnt know that anyone else had this done. Im sure though, that it did pick up a good amount of oooomph. If you dont mind me askin, do you know what the cost of the midpipe was with the cat and resonator? Also, do you know if it was crush bent or if it was mandrel bent? You should dyno the car back to back with a stock scion to see your gains even though it wont be completely conclusive.

The midpipe i plan to make will completely reoplace the stock one so it will bolt up directly to any aftermarket set up regardless of what you have.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionara
I bought a 5Zigen axel back from Van and Stylis made me a 2.25 piping with hi-flow resonator from the cat back to the rear axel. If I decide to change the axel back exhaust, it can be easily removed/replaced. I love it. I'm just wondering how much hp/torque gain from this but the xB seems to pull stronger.

This sounds like a good idea but still is not optimal. Your set up was welded on correct? To really get the full potential of the set up, you need to open everything up. Even the inner diameter of the cat. The factory one is under 2". That is a big restriction IMO. Obviously, this set up would still benefit from a well designed header, but from the header back, this is the way to go. A direct bolt on set up with flanges that will hook right up to the header and be open all the way back.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:22 AM

Sorry brother, I had alrerady designed and priced it.
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:16 am Post subject: New Maniflod Back Exhaust System.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was bored the other day and decided to make my own exhaust system, Just like the one I made for Eric M. But on mine I installed a High Flow cat so the light doesn't come on. I used aluminized 21/4in pipe, Carsound high flow catalytic converter, 21/4in high flow resinater, and a MagnaFlow mirror finish Stainless Steel Muffler and tip. The sound is deep and only makes a little noise at 65 and up. Barely noticable, and I love it.
Here is a link to the exhaust system.
http://scionxb.net/index_files/styli...is_exhaust.htm
If you want I can make you one, I had a lot of factors before I made the system of course.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Sorry brother, I had alrerady designed and priced it.
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:16 am Post subject: New Maniflod Back Exhaust System.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was bored the other day and decided to make my own exhaust system, Just like the one I made for Eric M. But on mine I installed a High Flow cat so the light doesn't come on. I used aluminized 21/4in pipe, Carsound high flow catalytic converter, 21/4in high flow resinater, and a MagnaFlow mirror finish Stainless Steel Muffler and tip. The sound is deep and only makes a little noise at 65 and up. Barely noticable, and I love it.
Here is a link to the exhaust system.
http://scionxb.net/index_files/styli...is_exhaust.htm
If you want I can make you one, I had a lot of factors before I made the system of course.
Looks almost exactly like what i am looking to make except 2 things. I can see that you used a crush bend machine so in some places you are actually going down to 2 inches rather than the 2.25 you started with. Not much of a big deal but every little bit helps. Of course the mandrel bends will cost a bit more but thats why i m trying to get a few more heads to reduce the cost. The second thing that i coudlnt see in the pics was if your center section was actually seperate from the rear section. If its all one piece that means you would hae to use your muffler set up or design your own. What i want to make will bolt directly to the rear factory piece which means any aftermarket set up that is on the market will benefit from this. Yes it will require flanges but again, it becomes a true bolt on set up. This will be a huge benefit for the people across the country when the car debuts in other states next year. Shipping will not be so bad.

Im guessing that since you went ahead and replaced the cat that the xB is OBD-I and not OBD-II? Or is it OB1kanobe (sp?) ;)
Old 10-23-2003, 04:08 PM

I guess you didn't see the clamps on the back of the resinator and the muffler was a clamp on as well. Now if you use original flange in the back, then the you will actually bring the size back down to 1 1/2 for after market mufflers to bolt onto. Were as my setup is a complete system 2 1/4in with a muffler/tip and not something to add on to. And my converter set-up is OBD-II compliant, did my homework. (Did you?) Also I am using a mandrel machine, there are only two kinds of machines. Mandrel and crimped, and obivously it is not cripmed. Its ok man, you can build the flange set-up if you want, just remember the factors. Also where are you located? I don't see a profile or a pic. Are you in Cali?