Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

FAQ: Debadge/Emblem Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default FAQ: Debadge/Emblem Removal

Okay this is the first of 2 that I'm doing. I'm doing this one first cos it's easier. :D

Darren: If you want, you can edit and modify this in any way that you want if you need to make a formal FAQ or something.

Legal:
I take no responsibility for your stupidity or professionality. If you screw up your car, don't blame me, Scion Life, your Scion dealer, or your uncle (unless your uncle screws it up). To add to that, this is not an instruction manual, this is a journal of sorts, so if you decide to, you are following this 'journal' at your own risk. Doing so may damage your vehicle, void your warranty, result in death, loose your job, have your family disown you, have people make fun of you and various combinations of the examples given.

Credits:
Randy West (Randode) performed most of it on DJFrost's (Ernesto) Black xB. I, nacy333 (Studly) helped with some gunk removal and some polishing/waxing afterwards and pictures..and Krickel (Kristal, Randy's Wife) sat around, drank a ton of beer and made fun of us (see the legal above).

Here is what you need:
Dental Floss (Randy West Recommends Mint Flavored)
Goo Remover/Bug And Tar Remover (

Optional/Recommended:
Rubbing Compound/Car Polish
Your Favorite Wax (Randy Uses Meguires)

Prep:
Begin by making sure that the surface paint and the emblems themselves are hot. This helps to loosen up the adhesive on the paint and emblem. You can do this by either using a blowdryer or by leaving it in the sun for awhile.

Removal:
First take the floss and using moderate force 'shave' away at the adhesive between the paint and the emblem. You will be going through several lines of dental floss doing this so don't worry. Disclaimer: You can loose your fingers if you wrap the dental floss to tight around your fingers (Randy lost his index finger on this occaision).

After you get off the Badge this is what all the goo looks like afterwards

Goo Removal:
The adhesive is pretty thick so it'll take some tender luvin car to remove the adhesive off the paint without scratching it to all hell. Gently peal away at it with your finger...if it helps, pour some gunk/goo but/tar remover on the adhesive to help get it off. Otherwise, use your fingers to remove the majority of the adhesive.

Once you got the majority of the adhesive off, take a rag with the Goo/Gunk remover and wipe away at it until it is visibly gone.

Post Emblem/Adhesive Removal:
Remember that your paint is pretty much stripped of the wax and you will probably have very fine micro scratches on your clearcoat when all is said and done. Take your polish/rubbing compound and go over the areas you worked on to remove any scratches on the car. Clean off the surface and go over it with a wax to keep your paint protected.

This xB was black and when we were done with it, it is nearly impossible to tell where the emblems were and any fine/hairline scratches on the clearcoat.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

who exactly is this "Randy" character?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

Randy? You mean Randy West, the actor?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Oh baby i like it rawwww

I would shy away from rubbing your fingers over the left over adhesive, I did and I ended up with about 5 major blisters, the price you pay when your too impatient to wait just get some rubbing compound...
Old 09-22-2003, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Prior to wrapping the floss around your fingers insert your hands into a hair of thick gloves. They saved me from losing the upper portion of both of my index fingers.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Thanks everybody!!!

Just finished debadging my Thundercloud xB. It looks soooooooo clean now! Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very good explanation. Step by Step and the whole 9. Thats how i would have done it. Good job.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i just did this today and i must have been smiling like a dumbass for 30 minutes after i finished.. it looks clean..

BUT...

now that the emblems are off, the rear wiper stands out a bit more. so for those of you who have taken the wiper off..... HOW? i thought i could get somewhere by taking off the nut underneath that plastic shell covering... but nothing budged.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

another neat trick....instead of using the dental floss, try it with a zip-tie too! If you slide the flat end of a zip tie into the badge (put the smooth side down so the paint doesn't scracth) it will pup out the other side...simply thread it into the other end and cinch it....then you have a nice little finger loop to use for pulling off the badge, and it doesn't scratch the paint.
word.
Very nice explanation with photos...well done!
drew
Old 10-12-2003, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i would also like to add that i've done this modification and it is not very hard. you can just take some dental floss and yank off the badge, and then use your finger to take off the adhesive stuff. it's really easy. i debadged my subaru and it was almost an all day event because of the different type of adhesive used or something. it's almost like scion wanted us to take off our badges....nah.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i debadged my subaru and it was almost an all day event because of the different type of adhesive used or something.
Yeah, it was really hard removing Subaru sign off of my WRX... Most of the letters were broken in the middle of removing them... Sigh... i wish I had it... It would be the onle thing left of my WRX... I actually have the Blitz Turbo timer, extra gauges and the gauges casing left...
Old 10-27-2003, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another way to debadge

Hey,

This method worked for me.

1. Warm up the badge with a blowdryer or let it sit in the sun for a while.
2. Squirt a little Goo Gone between the badge and the xB. (Too begin loosening up the glue)
3. Use a blockbuster id or other thin but strong laminated id and slide the corner under the badge to perforate the glue. Then perforate the glue around the entire badge until you can pop it off. (Warning your ID may be a little bent at the tips so use one you don't care about.)
Old 12-16-2003, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I know this is an old topic, but I just used the info to debadge my xb. THANKS! Looks really nice - i didn't even have to use any goo gone to get the glue off - i just sat my ___ in a chair and took a LONG time carefully peeling away the residue. Then i waxed and washed it and it looks nice. Thanks for the info fellas!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes an old tpoic but im bored and dont have anything to do today so im going to do this but my question is does this also work for the scion badge under the rear wiper?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

It's not there in the pic so I'm guessin yes
Old 01-10-2004, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that last pic of the rear up close didnt come up so i asked but thanx
Old 01-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Just watch out when you do it cuz I rubbed too hard with the goo remover and got scratches on a blue xB. I had to blend in paint and a buff job to get it golden again
Old 01-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

Some things to take into consideration, i have done this to the sides of my NEON, as well as removal of several emblems, and have made some mistakes when i didnt know what i was doing and in a rush....

1) I would recomend using the dental floss, rather then the zip tie, or Block Buster card theory. Keep in mind, your paint is relatively new, and the clear CAN scratch even with your finger nail!

2) Once the emblem is removed, SOAK a towel in the Goo Gone, and then soak the left over residue, wait a minute, and soak the residue again. Repeat this several times, and it may take a couple of minutes, but let the Goo Gone do its job and chemically break down the adheisive for you..... be patient!

3) Once the break down has begun, use your own finger ( not your finger nail ) and rub the section ( you may use another cloth, but make sure it is CLEAN! ) Any lil bit of grit WILL scratch and swirl your paint ( i know, i have a lovely spot of scratches in my door on my NEON because i was in a rush, and the rag fell on the ground ).

4) No rubbing compound should be necessary, just wash the area and re-wax.

To remove the xB emblem alone, i would think would take about 30-45 minutes. If your removing other emblems, do them all at once to speed along the process.

Treat it like a lady, slow and gentle, and you will be surprised at the results.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it have to be mint flavered floss?

JK
Old 01-11-2004, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the xB emblem was easy and floss did the trick as for the scion it was a little harder so i opted to use fishing line which did the trick i also recommend a blowdryed which serves as a double purpose for heating up the emblems and keeping warm since its cold outside

Quick Reply: FAQ: Debadge/Emblem Removal