Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brake advice/question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Brake advice/question..

This might be a noob question...
But whats the best way to check if i need to replace my pads.
I have almost 20,000 miles on the car and the brakes kinda screech when I step on them.

But is there anyways to tell just by looking at them if they need to be replaced?

Thanks guys.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-30-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, you measure how much pad material is left on the brake pads to determine how much brake life is left.

but 20k is pretty low to have to replace the brakes unless you really beat on the poor car and slam on the brakes or race it.

also, the parking brake light will start flashing at you when the brake pads start getting low.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

thanks a lot. but regardless i do not smash on the car, but the light would still come on anyways right?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

....saying even if i did slam on it.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brake light only comes on when brake fluid is low from my experience that light is not related to brake wear. U can take off ur tires and like thru the slot to see how much is left or if it screaches all the time
Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the brake pads are slow, the parking brake light will still come on becaue the car is detecting the increased amount of brake pressure needed to slow/stop the car so it sees the brake fluid level go down.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The brake light (it is not just a parking brake light) detects the parking brake being on, pressure issues in the brake system and low fluid level. As your pads wear, the pistons have to travel further for the pads to make contact, thus the fluid level in the reservoir drops. When your brakes are significantly worn, the level approaches the point where it triggers the brake light due to low fluid. So when you accelerate or brake hard it sloshes and causes the light to flicker. That is why it comes on as your brakes wear. The solution in that case is to simply replace the pads, and the fluid level will be back to normal.

So it does trigger the light when the pads are worn enough, but it only does it because of the fluid level. You are applying the same amount of pressure on the pads either way, the pistons are just extended more when the pads are worn.

For the OP, 20,000 is very early for them to be worn if you dont ride them or in some way beat on them. I would say they are probably at 1/2 life in front and 1/4 - 1/3 life in rear (rears wear less). But visual inspection will tell you for the most part. Sometimes, brakes will just squeal, even if there is nothing really wrong with them. You can try bedding them in a bit (you can look that up, there are instructions) or they make a few products to help it. The products are sometimes more successful and sometimes less. The ones that spray onto the BACKS of the pads seem to work best in my experience.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool

Originally Posted by mongiamc10
this might be a noob question...
but whats the best way to check if i need to replace my pads. i have almost 20000mile son the car and the breaks kinda screech when i step on them. but is there anyways to tell just by looking at them if they need to be replaced?

thanks guys.
The best way is to see how much pad depth is left. 1mm is the minimum allowed.

20k miles is soon but if there wasn't enough lube on the sliding pins from the factory the caliper could very well be sticking causing it to seize and then you'd be wearing your pads quicker.

If you need to lube up your sliding pins DO NOT USE SILICONE! I had this happen already and it caused the calipers to seize quicker after the silicone became gummy. THANKS TOYOTA DEALER!! ugh! I found the correct stuff, it's called Lithium Soap Glycol Grease. I got the right part it is toyota part number 08887-01206 Rubber Grease. <-- toyota's description is rubber grease.

Now let's say you have a lot of pad left, and that shows the calipers aren't sticking. Then you could add some disc brake grease (i posted this before in another thread, but i'll post again here) from toyota.. It's this thick, white stuff. needed gloves to apply it.
part number for this is 08887-80609 Disk Brake Caliper Grease it's not cheap though, works great. About $30-40 for a tube of it! but a little goes a long way.

- you would remove the shims and apply this sticky paste to the backs of the pads, then put the shims onto the pads. Also applying this paste to the ends of the pads where they install into the brake hardware.

and as I said (Same problem) in the other thread. could be glazed causing the screeching.

here's the link to the other thread

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...75#post3286375

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 09-04-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: put part numbers in bold, for those searching for this
Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

thanks again mich :D
Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mongiamc10
thanks again mich :D
no problem! let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Might want to add to check the inboard and outboard pads. The inboards will most likely show a bit more wear.

You can also buy a spray at most parts stores for the backs of the pads. Not quite as good as the grease mentioned, but cheaper and easier to come by. In my experience it works ok.