Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

doing some car shopping this summer...need car guy's input

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default doing some car shopping this summer...need car guy's input

Hey guys. Sorta a noob to this forum, made a few posts like a year ago when I was looking at the (then) new xB....some things changed and whatnot, but I am actually back on the car market looking for a compact (and affordable) ride. So far got it narrowed down to 10 models.... anywho..would appreciate input on any of them / anything I might have overlooked.

About my current ride: 1999 Nissan Altima...pretty basic package with a 2.4L and a 4sp auto...A/C...cd/radio...power windows/locks/mirrors. nothing fancy but a good ride.

NOTE: All prices in MSRP according to "Build and Price" on each company website.

sedans (my 2nd choice category)
------
1. Hyundai Elantra Limited -- $17,845
- 138hp 2.0L + 4sp Auto
comments: this will be the "luxury" if you can call it that...selection from these 10. the limited comes with leather and all that good stuff, which no other car in the $17k range does. I actually sorta liked the 2006 GT (5-door) more...so a bit disappointed they didn't make a 2007 5-door yet. otherwise should be a fine car.

2. Hyundai Sonata GLS -- $18,445
- 162hp 2.4L + 4sp auto
comments: straight out replacement for my Altima... again not a very fancy package, just your basic I4 family car with an Auto, A/C, and power windows/locks.

5dr wagon / hatch (first choice group, most usable space on compact platform)
-----------------
1. Kia Spectra5 -- $17,975
- 138hp 2.0L + 4sp Auto
comments: same as the Elantra pretty much...less the leather, but + the 5th door.

2. Subaru Impreza 2.5i -- $19,420
- 173hp 2.5L + 4sp auto
comments: most "upscale" car on the list, most expensive too. AWD is nice.

3. Nissan Versa 1.8SL -- $17,800
comments: little bit of Owner Loyalty playing a role here....not to mention the sexy French design. How its equipped it will have the most "premium" features out of all the cars including the key fob, and bluetooth integration.

4. Honda Fit Sport w/Auto -- $15,970
- 1.5L 109hp + 5sp auto
comments: its a Honda. good quality and fuel economy. probably the best (practical) bang for the buck.

5. Scion xB -- $15,410
comments: most of you here are box owners...you know. being 6ft+ i do enjoy the ample headroom.

6. Suzuki SX4 Sport -- $18,828 (price includes quite a few accessories)
comments: suzuki is improving in quality, thats why i tagged this car on the list. it looks kinda nice...so i haven't crossed it off just yet.

looking forward to any opinions and so forth

i guess so you could answer, my driving needs: typically drive alone (thus why looking for a compact) but occasionally take one or a few people along. i like ikea...so the xB looks tempting b/c its the perfect size and SHAPE for their packaging. most driving is urban (although not really heavy traffic), though once in a while i do get out on the freeway.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you will think I am saying Scion because I own one and that I am biased...which yes I am. :-)

My honest opinion, buy toyota/scion. Better resale, toyota reliability, stylish, fun to drive, attention getter.
Hyundai and Kia seem to dominate your list. May I ask Why? If it is pricepoint whichthe prices are very comparable rmember you are getting a toyota. When you look at bang for the buck, features, power, reliability Scion blows the rest of these away. Just my 2 cents since you asked.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why the hyundai/kia? well, in the last few years the brand has really improved in quality (and design) so whereas even as recently as '02 i would probably have not even considered them, now they are offering a few tempting options. if you break my list down further.... Spectra and Elantra are the same car, Tiburon is there for the same reason as the tC (most likely will not get either one), and the Sonata...to be honest, i just plain like that car.

I do agree with you that toyota has teh whole reliability and resale stuff going for it (although Hyundai is now up in quality, their resale, due to history, still suffers) ... the xB is also one of the most practical cars on the list. yet still i'd hate to restrict my self to only one brand.

note: edited original post for size / removed coupe group.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by munkymonkjr
why the hyundai/kia? well, in the last few years the brand has really improved in quality (and design) so whereas even as recently as '02 i would probably have not even considered them, now they are offering a few tempting options. if you break my list down further.... Spectra and Elantra are the same car, Tiburon is there for the same reason as the tC (most likely will not get either one), and the Sonata...to be honest, i just plain like that car.

I do agree with you that toyota has teh whole reliability and resale stuff going for it (although Hyundai is now up in quality, their resale, due to history, still suffers) ... the xB is also one of the most practical cars on the list. yet still i'd hate to restrict my self to only one brand.

True that Hyndia has improved on it's quality and designe on their cars. However considering the pattern that they have, for every improvement they make, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda has brought up or raise the bar in technlogy and quality. My co-woarker Fred has bought a Hyndia Tuscon, and already he's having some problems with it. (Went back to the dealer twice)

If the xB is not in the first choice, I would go for the Fit. It's still a practicle car, plus it's also relieable and it's resale value should hold as well.

The Nissan Verssa? Why not get the Sentra is not bad as well as it's one of the cars to offer CVT. (both are based on Renault platform BTW)

The Suzuki SX4 Sport , I would got for this too if you want 4wd.

Kia, Not sure as I'm not familar with this brand. Only 3 years ago Kia was introduce were I live so I'm not sure of it reputation. (Rumors I hear that it's a affiliate with Huyndia).

Bottom line, if Scion/Toyota is not your choice, get the FIT
Old 01-02-2007, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

psht the impreza for sure awd, fastest by far than any of your other choices. but if youre not looking for speedy, hyundai has a like 100k warranty on every part i believe.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my top cars on that list would be the xb and the fit
fyi, fit made one of car and drivers top ten cars of 2007

test drive them all, i'm sure that would help your decision
Old 01-06-2007, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i forgot to add a note i suppose.....

smart is talking about the new (larger) fortwo in the US for 08... extremely tempting option as well.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by munkymonkjr
why the hyundai/kia? well, in the last few years the brand has really improved in quality (and design) so whereas even as recently as '02 i would probably have not even considered them, now they are offering a few tempting options. if you break my list down further.... Spectra and Elantra are the same car, Tiburon is there for the same reason as the tC (most likely will not get either one),and the Sonata...to be honest, i just plain like that car.

i would have to agree with you on the sonata. i love the way that car looks. kind of like a cross with an audi and a honda accord.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

My choices would be the xB and the Impreza. IMHO the Fit Sport is overpriced for what it comes with (though my statement might be a bit blasphemous coming from a Honda guy).

The Impreza, being the most powerful of the bunch, and AWD, would be the most exciting to drive and best for bad weather.

I like the xB for its utility and looks, but the lack of power may or may not be a problem depending on where you will be doing most of your driving. I myself am looking at xA's and xB's among other possible choices for a daily driver, and my biggest concern would be with freeway driving... especially in Texas where a Dodge Ram 3500 tailgating me and breathing fire down my neck is not an uncommon sight.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If I were living in Illinois I would get the Impreza. All the other cars except the xB and the fit are crap cars. Sure the quality of Hyundai and Kia are going up but thats a slow up. And then think about it. When people ask what kind of car you drivie you say Kia or Hyundai. Suzuki is improving quality but it is still the lowest of the low right now. I'm suprised Chevy is using one of their suvs as the Equinox. I say Impreza because they last forever and are nice cars.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i resent you calling Versa a "crap car"

so far this year we had only 1 day of 12 inches of snow (and that cleared up in a week) so if global warming continues, there will be absolutely no need for a snow-capable vehicle in chicago within the next few years. i do tend to agree that the impreza is the higher-end car on that list.

and quite frankly..i don't know why you're insecure about saying "i drive a hyundai" when people ask you about the ride.. i have no problems with it. hell...there will always be ignorant people. i already got _______s on my nerves b/c i drive a nissan...and since the brand is japanese but under french management....you know.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Its not that I am insecure, its the fact that its a hyundai. Like I said their quality IS going up but thats like saying you're the smartest kid with down syndrome. I was also in chicago for 5 months at the end of 2005 in the winter for school in the Navy and it snowed quite a bit. Now I am saying the versa is crap for one simple reason. Its Nissan, sure its an import and its alot better than any american car quality, but Hyundai is starting to become more reliable than Nissan. They put out good looking cars but I have heard nothing but horror stories with Nissan. And thats from forum and reading into it. I was stuck between S2000 or 350Z. Did alot of research on Nissan (not just the 350)since I had a Honda before and know alot about the company and the reliablity. So don't just think I am saying the Versa is a crap car for no reason. Also the versa is hasn't been proven either. Its a new car. Its not like it is a remodel of a car they have had here. Now don't get your panties in a bunch because you are probably biased toward nissan since you own one. You came here for advice and when people give it to you, whether you like it or not don't jump on them.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not jumping on anyone... the "nissan crap quality" just sorta puzzles me b/c my altima has been really freaken great through all these years and 80k miles. some of my relatives also drive other nissan models (maxima, sentra, m35, etc) and none of them have ever had anything major going on either... i don't know if its just an incredible stroke of luck or what...but everyone's nissan is holding up really well. i also have some neighbors who drive exclusively nissan.. they have a 2002 pathfinder, 2006 altima, and a 1992 altima.... all drive well, the 92 has something like 180k on it and still going strong, their youngest kid is about to turn 16 and thats going to be his car. so again....i am quite puzzled.

one of my friends has a 2006 sentra, and his family also drives nissans exclusively... 2004 altima, and 2000 quest. he never complained about them either.

of course...other brands have their merits too in my eyes. my dad's old corolla lasted 135k over 11 years....2 owners.. before the tranny (and shortly after the engine) gave way. wish i could say the same for the Daewoo he now drives
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

out of those i would drive

1. Scion
2. Honda Fit
3. Versa