Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

i am so glad we bailed them out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionBoy86
Honda and Toyotas have their fair share of recalls so stop bashing on dodge and all US products... Move out of this country and stop corrupting our economy by bashing them for something so little
lulz, sumthin so little? causing a fire and burning up possibly resulting in injury or death to any1 is not jus "something so little"
Old 04-04-2009, 02:08 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^ yep. (shaking head)
Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota, Nissan and Honda are just as "american", if not more so, than any of the big 3. Lot of Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas are made in America. Lot of Ford's, Chevy's, GMC's parts are made in Mexico.

Government is as good as the people you vote to run it. Medicare and Social Security work well as long as the people running aren't purposely running it badly to cause it to fail.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You're right, Couper2; there really aren't any car manufacturers, anywhere, who can be tagged as having 100% of their parts, production, & vehicles as coming from only one nation.

I'm not sure of the current laws governing cars which are allowed to be labeled as "American-made," but even as long ago as 1985, up to 30% of the parts for those cars could be imported.

As I've said before, DH's income for several years came from running a brake plant here in TN which was the exclusive producer of brake pads for Toyota. The Japanese are not any more opposed to importing parts than are Americans.

Nissan has a plant about an hour from me; VW is building a new one about 20 minutes from me.

As far as cars are concerned, it's a worldwide network and system of manufacture.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackberryPie
You're right, Couper2; there really aren't any car manufacturers, anywhere, who can be tagged as having 100% of their parts, production, & vehicles as coming from only one nation.

I'm not sure of the current laws governing cars which are allowed to be labeled as "American-made," but even as long ago as 1985, up to 30% of the parts for those cars could be imported.
AFAIK, xB1s were pretty much made all in Japan. Even the Goodyear brand tires were Japanese-made. There may have been a few bits and pieces from elsewhere, but nothing major.

"American Made" is a pretty broad term when you consider that Canada, Mexico, and even Brasil are in the Americas. "Made in Japan" is quite a bit more specific.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

"AFAIK" is not a basis for fact. American Made is not the same as North American Made (and NAFTA was and continues to be a bad thing).

You are actually reiterating what I said. Goodyears being made in Japan are a perfect example of a world system of production.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackberryPie
"AFAIK" is not a basis for fact. American Made is not the same as North American Made (and NAFTA was and continues to be a bad thing).

You are actually reiterating what I said. Goodyears being made in Japan are a perfect example of a world system of production.
OK, I'll be more specific. The "percentage content" sticker on my xB was in the high 90% range. That's about as close as you can get to a "one nation" vehicle. Even in the heyday of Detroit they had to import a certain amount of raw materials from abroad.

Made in Japan Goodyear tires are Japanese parts on a Japanese car. A better example of globalization of production is a set of Michelin tires I purchased a few years back. By random chance the four tires were made in France, Canada, the USA, and Japan.

"American Made" is certainly not the same as "North American Made", but I didn't make that assertion. I've never seen "North American Made" on an advertisement.

I do recall seeing a prominent "American Made" in a Dodge advertisement a few years back, for SUVs made in Hermosillo Mexico.