Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Light Oil in Air Intake (not tC but dad's civic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Light Oil in Air Intake (not tC but dad's civic)

MODS: Please move to appropriate forum, didn't know where to post.. thanks

Figured all here could help me out on this problem.. I have a tC, but it's not the one with light oil in the intake..

My dad has a 96 Civic and I was driving it, noticed an idle problem, so I pulled off the air tube (from the air filter) to see if there were deposits on the throttle plate, nothing there, but further in there is light oil splattered on the walls of the intake area.. I can see it when I open up the throttle plate and look in.. (engine off, of course)

There is a tube that comes from the valve cover and hooks into the air tube to the throttle body, it has put oil down in that plastic air tube (from air filter to throttle body) as well.. The engine is only a year old, dad had the dealer drop a new one in after the old one just died at 130k miles..

So after telling all of that, here's my question.. what is causing the oil to be coming back through the valve cover into the air tube and into the air intake?

My thought was that PCV system not ventilating the crankcase vapors.. am I on the right track here? I know it's not a tC problem but thought I'd ask some of you here.. thanks!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oil in the Intake is normal, people usually add a Oil Catch Can to resolve it though. Its not big deal for a Daily Driver.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yes , he should be ok. It's normal to get a little into the intake tract. Just keep an eye on it to check that it doesn't get worse. Once the engine is full broken in it may lessen or stop. It could also be that the oil level was too high at one point and cause it.
I say clean the TB with some spray cleaner made for TBs and see if the idle improves. The idle problem might not even be related to the oil in the intake.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well there is a wet oily coating on the inside of air intake, the throttle body is actually okay, it's the rest of the air intake that has an oily wet residue. the engine has about 6000 miles on it already so it's definitely broken in. I do wonder if the oil was over filled. But also going to have the pcv system checked out, might be drenched in oil (breather chamber) that's why the oil is backin up..

He had the engine replaced, when I had it, I never had any oily residue in the air intake, that's why I couldn't understand what was going on. They did transfer the old PCV system when they put the new engine in.. I was thinking they should've replaced it with new..

Any other thoughts, as I have never seen this on a new engine before..