Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Rumor of RWD Toyota coupe on the rise!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can somebody please convert some of those numbers for us, how much is 1.5 millioin yen in american dollars, how much is 1000 kg in pounds, and how much power is 120 ps?

however...right now my only fear is that this, like the honda s2000 will be too small for me to fit in...
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

1,500,00.00 Yen = 12,242.80 USD
2,000,000.00 Yen = 16,327.36 USD

120 PS = 118 HP
Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow. that is like cheaper than the old miata's were when they came out...if it really comes out around that price, count me in, unless ofcourse i can't fit in one...
Old 07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

They are saying that they are trying to keep it under 20gs....So the a 120 hp motor sounds to be a perfect fit...as long as there is room for mods!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCTaco
They are saying that they are trying to keep it under 20gs....So the a 120 hp motor sounds to be a perfect fit...as long as there is room for mods!
yeah, if they stick some pos engine in it and make it un mod friendly, i'm out.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Even if they did I bet you people would just throw in another engine like the old 4AG or 3SGTE
Old 07-13-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

and knowing toyota it'll probably be a bland motor
Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I Like the look of 7th gen Celica tails. Of course I own a 7th gen so it goes without saying. I love the way my Celie looks. If I had designed it though I would have done something different with the curve of the back finders and I would have shaved the fenders back a tad to be flush with the tires. To say anything negitive about the AE86 is sacreligous but the back side windows of the AE86 look goofy huge. The windows make the greenhouse look overly tall and wagon-like. I might be bias though because I think a lot of coupes look better as notchbacks than fastbacks. A good example being the Mustang.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM

good info
Old 07-17-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

So which will you buy if they both come to the states???
Silvia or "Sprinter Trueno/Corolla Levin

From 7tune.com
http://www.7tune.com/?p=70
The New Nissan Silvia? FR Compact Sports Concept

Nissan’s response to Toyota’s FR compact sports car.

Not to be outdone by Toyota, Nissan is expected to bring the basic concept of the Urge, which was first shown at the 2006 Detroit Show, to reality. Japanese motoring publication ‘Best Car’ are 60% sure we could see a new concept FR sports compact car shown to the public, possibly at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show. The car to be shown to the public would take on a more mainstream style compared to the Urge, losing it’s exposed motorcycle inspired design for something more befitting of the Nissan family of cars. A 2.0L powerplant is being considered for the new FR coupe, the details of which are still unknown.

Some might be quick to remark that this is indeed the new Nissan Silvia, although whether or not the Silvia name will be resurrected for this particular model is still up in the air. It wouldn’t be surprising for Nissan to use the Silvia name if Toyota were to announce their own upcoming RWD sports coupe as the ‘Sprinter Trueno’ or ‘Corolla Levin’ to link the new models with their (in)famous predecessors. Length, width and height are rumoured to be 3800 x 1700 x 1250mm with a wheelbase of 2300mm, some 250mm shorter than the (already shortened) upcoming Z34 Fairlady Z. These measurements are regarded as ‘just size’ in Japan, meaning it is only as big as it needs to be for its intended purpose, not a larger - and therefore heavier - version of the old S15 Silvia.

The new FR compact sports coupe is expected to retail for around 2,500,000 yen.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sprinter Trueno/Corolla Levin vote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

UPDATE
From 7Tune.com
AE86 Evolution or Revolution? New Toyota FR Sports

In a move that might worry AE86 enthusiasts, Toyota will consider targeting the BMW 1 Series with a wagon version of its FR Compact Sports Car. This wagon variation of its compact FR sports theme is being considered along with the aforementioned coupe, and even a sedan.

Three variations of the ‘Spiritual AE86 Replacement’ are being considered, with a coupe being the most likely to be chosen in a move that could help breathe life back into Toyota’s sports car line up. The wagon variation offers the most practicality and would compete directly with the BMW 1 Series and (to a lesser extent) Subaru Impreza, however Toyota is well aware of the popularity a compact FR coupe model would have over a wagon and will definitely take this into account. A sedan, rather like a smaller version of the superseded Toyota Altezza would be more practical than the coupe, although this outcome is the least likely at this stage.

Since our last report, a 1.8L engine is now being considered along with a top grade 2.0L engine incorporating Toyota’s new ‘Valvetronic’ valve control technology which will put to rest some concern whether the previously mentioned 1.5L engine could provide enough power to warrant a sports car classification. This is not to say a 1.5L engine will not be offered, as Subaru already offer the same capacity engine in its current Impreza line up. There is still little in the way of reliable information surrounding the power plant of the Toyota FR compact sports car but we can safely assume that the new engine will have some form of Valvetronic control, and no forced induction of any kind.

Toyota product planners are well aware of the appeal a proper AE86 replacement has amongst the younger generation of buyers, as this new FR sports car is being designed primarily for that section of the market. It is a little surprising though that it seems now Toyota is backpedalling slightly, putting more emphasis on competing with rival models rather than reopening a niche segment with a direct AE86 successor in the true sense.

Just as we reported earlier, it is now apparent after much research being carried out by Toyota that the FR compact sports car will indeed be sold at or slightly above 1,500,000 yen! We mentioned before that this was a virtual impossibility, but Toyota plans to use an ‘unprecedented amount’ of parts already used in cars in its current line up, therefore keeping production costs at a minimum. How this will affect the final outcome of the FR compact sports car is anyone’s guess at the moment, but we will have the news right here for you as it appears.

/Rezz
Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

going back to the original post, I read autoblog often, however, I read them less and less due to how pretty much every toyota post/subject on that site is filled with sarcasm, negativity, and just general bias against them. not good journalism.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

looks like the exahust from the fuse.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

wow the rear end of that fr is hideous.

interesting. i'd love if it comes out
Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCTaco
UPDATE
From 7Tune.com
AE86 Evolution or Revolution? New Toyota FR Sports

In a move that might worry AE86 enthusiasts, Toyota will consider targeting the BMW 1 Series with a wagon version of its FR Compact Sports Car. This wagon variation of its compact FR sports theme is being considered along with the aforementioned coupe, and even a sedan.

Three variations of the ‘Spiritual AE86 Replacement’ are being considered, with a coupe being the most likely to be chosen in a move that could help breathe life back into Toyota’s sports car line up. The wagon variation offers the most practicality and would compete directly with the BMW 1 Series and (to a lesser extent) Subaru Impreza, however Toyota is well aware of the popularity a compact FR coupe model would have over a wagon and will definitely take this into account. A sedan, rather like a smaller version of the superseded Toyota Altezza would be more practical than the coupe, although this outcome is the least likely at this stage.

Since our last report, a 1.8L engine is now being considered along with a top grade 2.0L engine incorporating Toyota’s new ‘Valvetronic’ valve control technology which will put to rest some concern whether the previously mentioned 1.5L engine could provide enough power to warrant a sports car classification. This is not to say a 1.5L engine will not be offered, as Subaru already offer the same capacity engine in its current Impreza line up. There is still little in the way of reliable information surrounding the power plant of the Toyota FR compact sports car but we can safely assume that the new engine will have some form of Valvetronic control, and no forced induction of any kind.

Toyota product planners are well aware of the appeal a proper AE86 replacement has amongst the younger generation of buyers, as this new FR sports car is being designed primarily for that section of the market. It is a little surprising though that it seems now Toyota is backpedalling slightly, putting more emphasis on competing with rival models rather than reopening a niche segment with a direct AE86 successor in the true sense.

Just as we reported earlier, it is now apparent after much research being carried out by Toyota that the FR compact sports car will indeed be sold at or slightly above 1,500,000 yen! We mentioned before that this was a virtual impossibility, but Toyota plans to use an ‘unprecedented amount’ of parts already used in cars in its current line up, therefore keeping production costs at a minimum. How this will affect the final outcome of the FR compact sports car is anyone’s guess at the moment, but we will have the news right here for you as it appears.

/Rezz
That is the FUGLIEST tail i've seen in a while..
Old 08-24-2007, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2
in regards to the taillights, they are simply furgly celica ghetto style ones (at least makem a lil closer to triangular inline with the front ones). The worst thing about celicas were their taillights - don't include that vehicles (celica's) bad features. I recommend something similar to the the Subaru's tail lights posted above ^

My $0.02, but I expect 10% total revenue of when it becomings a top seller
Good Luck Toyota!
R2D2, wasn't that you on that escape pod that jetisoned to Tatooine, a long time ago- in a galaxy FAR-FAR away Thanks for sharing !

Yo... thats a dope rear-end on that WRX-STI concept ... maybe by 2009 ?? So far, that might be my dream ride !