Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Thinking about getting a sport bike ! have few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I have to take an Army course otherwise they won't let you drive on post...

How many of you guys laid down your first bike ?

Do any of you even had a problem stopping ? Have any of you ever locked up your brakes and went into a slide or skid on the bike ?
The reason i want to know is to justify if it is worth getting a bike with ABS or regular brakes are just fine ?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey guys, what do you think about choppers ?

Check out 2010 Honda Fury. I think it's a great looking chopper and it does not cost as much as other choppers !
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
I have to take an Army course otherwise they won't let you drive on post...

Do any of you even had a problem stopping ? Have any of you ever locked up your brakes and went into a slide or skid on the bike ?
The reason i want to know is to justify if it is worth getting a bike with ABS or regular brakes are just fine ?
Don't get ABS, they have a tendency to grab alot harder when you don't want them to. My uncle has a BMW with ABS and it damn near throws me off everytime. The learning curve to use them might be alot for a new rider.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

First and second. The first one was at the MSF trsining course, early morning the second day, warming the bikes up and hit a wet patch on a turn.

Second was on my own bike. Riding to work and the turn to go to the gate is at a road that is angled, so it's like a hairpin turn. Tried to beat the light and ended up too fast in the turn, went into the ditch. I was fine but needed a new headlight, turn signal and gauge bezels. Expensive lesson but learned it well.

Now I don't ride in the AM if I'm not up for at least 30 before getting on the bike. Riding tired is like riding drunk.

Do any of you even had a problem stopping ? Have any of you ever locked up your brakes and went into a slide or skid on the bike?

Never had a problem stopping, if you ride the same distance from the guy in front of you like you're in a car, it won't be an issue since the bike will stop sooner. I've got front disk but rear drum and it can still buck me if I slam on the front. At the MSF course, they'll teach you to do a panic stop, and how to keep the bike up when braking hard.

Go with regular brakes. ABS won't stop you sooner, they just take a bit less skill to operate. I heard a lot of good reviews about the Fury. The main complaint was that the engine was too smooth, it had no personality (personality mus mean finicky starts, vibration and noise). Not sure what the Harley guys think of it, but at the core the engine is a Honda, they're bullet proof.

I have an '80 and an '81 CM400 that can attest to that. The '80 was a rat bike when I picked it up, exhaust rusted through, blown head gasket, even spiders in the canvas seat cover (vinyl had rotted away). Picked it up in a strong rainstorm, had been stored outside and not ran in a year. Got it home, put in gas, jumped the starter with a screwdriver because the ignition lock was busted, and it fired up.

Also check out the Harley XR1200. It'sa Harley sport bike, if that makes sense.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Checked out HD bikes.. some are nice.. i like V-ROD nightrod edition, but it's close to $15,000 which is more then i would like to spend.

As far helmet i decided not go with Icon but instead i will go with Arai or Shoei helmet because they are considered to be the best on the market, especially Arai helmets.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

I bought my first street bike the same time i got my tc, a 2007 r6.

if i were a starter, i would either rock an r6 or a cbr600.

welcome to your new money pit..
Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks man.

Well i narrowed it down to 2 bikes.

CBR600RR or VFR800.
so one of them i will get. When i get back to US and will go to the dealership if i'm comfortable on CBR600 i'll take it home. The reason why i picked cbr over r6 is because cbr is considered to be the most comfortable in 600 class and also as far as design i prefer under seat exhaust design.
I don't know about money pit bud, lol...

i'm only planning on adding exhaust so i be louder then stock.. i think it's a safety thing as well so people can hear me in their cars.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

VFR is a GREAT bike.

A bit weird lookin' but it's VERY comfy yet still pretty darn sporty. plus single sided swingarm exhudes "cool".

VFR more grunt, CBR more speed/more responsive(in a way).
I see bikes like I see cars.

Bikes;

Buy a Honda or a Yamaha and you'll be set.

Cars;

Buy a Honda or a Toyota and you'll be set.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

unless that toyota will accelerate somewhere randomly, lol.. or unless the engine brakes...read it in start&stripes ( the only newspaper we get here ) that some toyota and lexus model were sold with faulty engines, lol...

I talk to the salesman over the email and i asked him about 1L bikes and he told me to stay away from them, lol..

he did say that VFR is THEE most comfortable sport bike on the market and cbr is the most comfortable out of 600 sport bikes..

i did some research on the exhaust sounds and i dig the cbr600 with 2 brothers exuast and hyperflo exhaust sounds niceee...

VFR unfortunately does not have too many options for an exahsut ..but i guess if i get VFR i will go with 2 brothers..
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Read whatever newspaper you want, all these Toyota "problems" are bs or HIGHLY exagerrated.

there are TONS of exhausts for VFR's and they sound sick, to me a 4cyl twin is an awesome sound! D&D makes a pipe for it, yosh makes a pipe for it, two bro's makes a pipe for it, and there's TONS of slip ons that could be very minorly modded to fit.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

maybe i'm looking at the wrong sites or something...

well i cant read what i want here,lol..
yes they might be a little too overplayed but i think it's funny, lol...
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey guys does anyone know how much bigger VFR800 is when compared to CBR600RR ?
On honda website for some reason lenght is not listed.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a bigger guy like you would probably be more comfortale on the VFR only because i know the cbrrr is a true sportbike... pretty cramped, but then again u should check it out in person. idk when u get the chance to go to the dealer and sit on them and see how u fit. some bikes just feel right while others youll know right from the start they dont suit you.

as for a helmet... depends on how much u wanna spend. the arai are top of the line and shoei is next in line. u will pay top dollar for these but u will notice they are lighter and they have better features such as vents that are worth it. a lot of ppl start off with an hjc, cheaper but still good helmets. again, you should def go to a dealer and try them on, some people hate the shoei fit. arai has many diff helmets that fit oval/round head types. and make sure it fits!