Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

What car for college?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What car for college?

I know I already have a thread in this section, but it's a completely different question so I thought it'd be better to start a new one.. For those that don't know, I'll be heading off the college in the fall =) Still waiting on UCI, but if that doesn't work out I might head over to SDSU.. Anyway, I was thinking what I should get after the tc? If I end up going to Irvine, I won't be driving much the first year since I'll be dorming there (or probably not at all) and just on the weekends that I'm back at home. If I go to SDSU, I'll end up driving all the time since I won't be home every weekend.

My main question was.. what would be reasonable for college? For a while I've been listing this and that, but it just hit me that these don't really seem reasonable for college.. or do they and am I just worrying? I'm trying to think more reasonable.. but nothing too boring? I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say but I want something fun for college.. and something that won't get keyed or window smashed. I was pretty set on an S2K for a while until I realized with the soft top, it could get cut into.. possibly keyed at school..

Can anyone that went to college with these kind of cars chime in? I don't know how bad theft rates are over there, or anything like that
Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

why get a new car before college? you will rarely use it if you live on campus. i think i put maybe 200 miles on my truck each semester while on campus because all bars and places to eat and stores were nearby
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Really depends on your financial situation. Sice you were looking at an S2k, I'm assuming that you're ok there, and most likely getting some parental financial help. Not gonna rag on ya, my parents bought my fist car when I was in college, though I was on scholarship and had a summer job.

The tC does seem to attract the hater crowd. While it doesn't seem to get stolen like a Honda, it does get keyed quite a bit, and windows smashed to grab what's in the car. If you're planning on being the driver for a group of friends regularly, 4 doors really help. I'd suggest a used 1gen xB, there are quite a few for sale here on SL and club xb, hooked up pretty nice already in SoCal. You could also look at the xB2, the RS7 is pretty nice.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you want to buy a new car going into college when you already have a basically new car? Save your money so that way when you graduate you can be that much closer to buying a house or something.

IDK what vettereddie is referring to as far as "haters" go..I've never had any issues.

That being said..if you're worried about an s2k getting it's top slashed or something again - not a problem I've heard of happening very much (I'm a frequent lurker on s2ki)

But yeah..keep the tC..there really is 0 reason to get a new car for college when you already have a new car...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you have your heart set on a s2k, then buy a hard top.
I'd assume if you can afford a s2k, you can afford the hard top as well.

But in my opinion, I wouldn't even bother buying a new car.
What's wrong with you car?
Will it not make it from point A to point B?

I still have my tC and I just started college.

If your looking for more fun, why not throw a turbo in it?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish I would have never brought my tc to college. I don't think it was haters, just late people flinging their doors open cuz they are late for class, just plain ____ putting their books on your car to unlock their doors, dumb ____ like that. Pretty good amount of cars get stolen at UCSD, so don't know if thats the same as SDSU.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha your worried about cars getting stolen and broken into yet your first choice is a Honda lolz just park far away thats what i do the extra walk to class want kill yah
Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Vespa
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 PM

i currently go to CSULB, and there are people who drive evos and bimmers and all sorts of sweet cars. have not heard of any incidences at my school. but besides that, i'd say if you're really that paranoid about getting your car messed up, then just buy a typical grandma car. but if you wanna be the "cool kid" with the nice car, then go for the s2k. whenever you do find that car you want, make sure to get it professionally inspected. small price to pay for quality assurance. companies like aim mobile inspections and carchex know what they're looking for. hope that helps, happy shopping!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GQQSE13
why get a new car before college? you will rarely use it if you live on campus. i think i put maybe 200 miles on my truck each semester while on campus because all bars and places to eat and stores were nearby
I put on almost 300 miles since sunday on my car. :o
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a sti spec c, nough said! =D
Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Xb Gen One 2006.5

You can get a 2006.5 (with steering wheel audio controls on the .5) tricked out with under 20,000 miles for $10,000-$12,000 or so in new condition, depending on modifications. Three people here go to UCSB with 0 problems on vandalism. This car is inexpensive to operate and will haul 4 or 5 people easily and you can go camping with it. This is one of the best cars and values around and cheap to insure. I bought a Polar White 2006.5 Xb1 3 months ago and love it. It was ready for tires at 18,000 miles (cracked sidewalls) and I put on 195 60 15 88H Michelin Primacy's on it. I am a PARENT of a college student and love this car! It is safe for a small vehicle and should be called "The Urban Utility Box!"
Good luck, this car would get you thru college and beyond, then you could keep it for a daily driver and buy a real weekend sports car...

Oh, I forgot to say that this car is fun to drive. Girls look at me driving it and smile, they are 18 -25 years old! Should work for you!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I wouldn't want to spend any money on a car in college. I'd save my money for what I need to focus on.

I did the whole "I'm building a Civic in my dorm room" thing and all I did was waste money. You have to park it, insure it, gas it, maintain it, etc., which gets expensive while on a student budget.

If you absolutely need a car, I'd recommend a total beater. When I was at school, I would park in some sketchy spaces sometimes, and absolutely no one else respected personal property, even when I parked in a decent spot. Door dings, parallel parkers, a professor hit my car and denied responsibility, etc. Get an absolute POS car, like a used Corolla or Civic, and just drive it into the ground in college. You'd spend too much time worrying about your nice car among a bunch of drunk idiots.

You'll probably have a friend puke in it too.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread died a week and a half ago there guy.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

^THAT.