Notices

Possible Rally-esque xB2

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Possible Rally-esque xB2

A little background: I've had my xB lowered for 5 years or so and I'm constantly unimpressed with my ScionPro coilovers. My box is an automatic and it is turboed and it spends a lot of time not running because college is time-consuming. Anyway, I hate the roads out here in Colorado and they hate me. We don't talk, it's cool.

But I'm really tired of not being able to drive places because my car will get 90% of the way there and then theres a dirt road or some ____ for the last mile. I still have my stock suspension at home and I really want to go for something of a rally-inspired look. I have 17" wheels that I want to put somewhat beefy tires on (maybe a 27" overall diameter), I have mudflaps sitting in my office already, I want a mild lift (or at least stock-ish height) possibly with some softer rate springs. Eventually a light bar might go on the front and I might modify my spoiler.

Before you get all uppity about this, know one thing: I don't care. I'm 21 years old and this is my car and I don't have to answer to anyone about it. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it! Just please don't jump down my throat for wanting something "wrong".

But, my biggest questions surround the suspension and tires. I've seen a lot of threads that say "maybe you can do this" or "I'm gonna try this" but no one ever freaking follows up! Has anyone put big tires on? How big? Do you just live with a slightly off speedometer? Has anyone successfully lifted their xB2? Was your camber all screwed up? How did you do it? What are our stock spring and valve rates? I'd appreciate any answers I can get while I decide if this is a route I want to go down.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try to get hold of "randode" for front strut spacers, he's made some for 2nd gen before. Best bet to get hold of him is on FB, he goes by Randall Randode West . For the rear it would just be longer shocks, custom springs, and shims to fix the tow and camber after raising it.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome! Thanks for that tip. I'll get ahold of him.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just be warned, he can sometimes take forever to respond and get stuff out but it is top notch quality.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the rear suspension to coilovers instead of separate springs and coils?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by STCxB
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the rear suspension to coilovers instead of separate springs and coils?
It is entirely possible. They make them for the AE86. The coilover just mounts to where the shock mounts.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by holdstumt
It is entirely possible. They make them for the AE86. The coilover just mounts to where the shock mounts.
Do you know of a kit to do this? Or would I be tackling this myself and doing some fab work?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 PM

The AE86 ones are an AVOxMCNSPORT collaboration so I'd say ask AVO if they'll make a set for you.

AVO - Performance Suspension
Old 01-08-2015, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm having a tough time finding any information on doing this, and no answer from AVO. Is it possible to just find a coilover that has the right mounting points for the top (I've seen a few for classic cars that utilize the single mounting point for the top) and use that where the shock is and not put in a spring? Maybe that's what you were saying and I just misunderstood.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 AM

Well the thing is you have to find a rally specific coilover setup. Normal street/track coilovers lower your car and stiffen up the ride and you don't want that on a rally style setup.... I'd say look into rear AE86 rally coilovers. They use the single hole shock mount for the top in the rear and the lower part bolts directly to the rear end.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found a number of rally coilovers from various manufacturers, but none make a set for the xB2. Many make a set for the xB1, and I've verified that the rear is exactly the same style (but slightly different specs), so I may try a frankenstein setup by cannibalizing my coilovers and a set of KSport rally coils since they use the same shock supplier.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by STCxB
I found a number of rally coilovers from various manufacturers, but none make a set for the xB2. Many make a set for the xB1, and I've verified that the rear is exactly the same style (but slightly different specs), so I may try a frankenstein setup by cannibalizing my coilovers and a set of KSport rally coils since they use the same shock supplier.
I would avoid anything KSport.. They are cheaply manufactured and if you want to do a rally setup, that is not the way to go. Those coils will explode.