General driving and racing...

Autocross/track day helmet, what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Autocross/track day helmet, what to buy

Is it ok to get a snell approved m2005 helmet for track days/autocross or should I get a SA2005? I really don't want to spend an extra $110 for the SA2005, but if I need to then I will. I was thinking about getting either the Pyrotect Helmet - Full Face M2005 or the Pyrotect Helmet - Full Face SA2005 from http://www.soloracer.com/pyrotectlids.html. let me know what would be the best. thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They both look nice. However, do you need the SA certification on your helmet? What does the SA certification have over the M?

I personally went the eBay route and bought a used motorcycle helmet for under $100. I have been to autocross and track days and have had no problem.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The SA cert gives it a fire rating I think. I got mine at saferacer.com g-force open face.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kuo34
The SA cert gives it a fire rating I think. I got mine at saferacer.com g-force open face.
OK. But do any venues requre the fire protection? At least for non-professional racing?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

SA = automotive use
M = motorcycle use

If you plan on doing autocross only, and never a single track day until 2015 (when the helmet expires), then get the Motorcycle one.

Otherwise, ANY reputable track day organization should require a SA full faced helmet. No M helmets.

All SCCA autocrosses will require a legal SA or M rated helmet.. but track days make the difference. It has to do with the actual amount and quality of padding and fire protection.

Personally, I use that exact same Pyrotect full face SA helmet, and it's been great for the past few years. Track days, autocrosses, go karting.. etc
Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by InjectedPer
SA = automotive use
M = motorcycle use

If you plan on doing autocross only, and never a single track day until 2015 (when the helmet expires), then get the Motorcycle one.

Otherwise, ANY reputable track day organization should require a SA full faced helmet. No M helmets.

All SCCA autocrosses will require a legal SA or M rated helmet.. but track days make the difference. It has to do with the actual amount and quality of padding and fire protection.

Personally, I use that exact same Pyrotect full face SA helmet, and it's been great for the past few years. Track days, autocrosses, go karting.. etc
Thanks for the help. Looks like I will go with the SA one. I love track days so much but I hate using the loaner helemts and gettting other peoples head sweet all over me. hahaha
Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its not to late: We are a Pyrotect dealer, so if you still are in need hit me up, I can give you a great price on your helmet of choice!

Also, while all track day events will require an SA rated helmet, a full face version is not required for most. I do HPDEs with NASA/NEmotorsports and have been using my Open face SA05 Pyrotect for two years now.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
SL Member

here you this may be of some help to answer your question

this was posted on the LVRSCCA forum by Chris Barth a fellow autoxer when i asked the same question:

all rules and car classing can be found here

http://www.scca.com/Solo/Index.asp?reference=rules

4.3.1 Helmets
Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on
course: All helmets meeting the current or two immediately
preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA, K, or M), or SFI standards
31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A are acceptable.
For maximum protection, helmets must fit securely and should
provide adequate peripheral vision. The chin strap must be securely
fastened. Loaner helmets should be available to vehicle occupants
not having their own.

basicly has to have a snell sticker with the letters sa, k, or m on it and be 95 or newer
if you do go to the website above, there's alot of material that maybe able to answer almost every single one of your questions regarding autox

feel free to browse around on the www.lvrscca.org site or the forum

oh yeah and here's the direct link to the pdf for the 2007 edition of the national solo rules from the scca website

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2007SoloRules.pdf

you can use this link http://www.scca.com/Solo/Index.asp?reference=rules too and click on the pdf links if you want. happy reading! hope this is enough to answer any questions you have or if anyone else is curious about rules and regulations regarding autox/solo

as long as your helmet meets requirements, its all good! its just up to you, i have a full faced kbc helmet, i forgot whether it was SA or K...its in my car ill have to check and post it up later
Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
SL Member

oh yeah btw if you havent seen it or clicked on it already, this may help

http://soloracerdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/helmettech.html