General driving and racing...

AutoX - Event #2, Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AutoX - Event #2, Yesterday

Yesterday was our second event of the season - I was event chair.

We had some rain in the morning, but it cleared up and the course (thankfully) dried before runs started. We were running at our mall course, which is by far the smallest lot we use. This course was a figure 8 but with the center point pushed to one side. Kind of fun and was different from our usual courses there and we still got 8 runs for the day!

I only got 2nd out of 2 cars in ST.

Here's the kicker, I lost to my own car. Only by .15 seconds though. I let one of our "veterans" run in my car for the day b/c he sold his Prelude earlier this year and is currently building a Lotus kit car (super 7) which is far from race ready.

I honestly don't mind that I lost... b/c he's been doing this a little longer than I have and I consider him to be pretty good. So even though he was getting used to my car, I'm happy to be that close. Of course I would have rather beat him... but that's OK.

I think I ended up 6th in PAX out of 45 cars. Something like that... so ya, not bad.

VIDEOS!

Only have my best run posted so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vVB5lXBfIo - Run 4 (can watch in HD!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euTe6pj5994 - the rest
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice vid!

Since the event is at the mall, do you get a lot of people watching with dumbfounded looks on their faces? Haha
Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, we definitely do. Some old lady even pulled on to the course... unknowingly of course.

But it's right on a corner too and people drive around around it and slow down or stop in the middle of a live road. Our course workers try to move them along to keep it safe, but people are dumb.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Awesome, I'm hoping to get out to an event next month. I'm just hoping that it's not going to make me want to upgrade some stuff .
Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I'm just hoping that it's not going to make me want to upgrade some stuff .

Let me know how that works out for you. I'm already looking at getting a second set of camber bolts to bump up to -3*. If I can get them cheap anyway.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Yeah I've been wanting to do AutoX for sometime, but just never got around to doing it. They have one event this Saturday but I won't be able to go and the next one isn't until July. I have a feeling I'm going to finish in dead last because of my class (I think I'm going to be put in extreme modified or w/e the highest is) but w/e, I'm doing it for the experience and fun. I've only got TRD springs, Hotchkis rear sway and some Kumho tires to help me out.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member

Fun spoiler here ;)

Thanks for the ride Ack! I was suprised to be able to beat you, your allways very fast and smooth.

If anything Ack i would beg borrow steal a pyrometer and find out if any more camber is needed. I KNOW that i see a few members running around with them at the event... And if your outsides are hotter than the inside then you could use more camber.

THANKS!
Ken
Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure you'd be in SM (Street Modified). The turbo is one thing, but the rear seat delete would also put you in that class... as would any carbon fiber body parts.

The class is pretty open actually. Could be just about anything in there. I've seem some REALLY well prepped Hondas run in there, as well as a 350Z with some light mods.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Yeah I figured with the turbo, weight reduction, tires, and some suspension mods, I'd have to run with the big boys lol. I'm still not really sure though. If I really like doing AutoX (which I know I will) I might get some light wheels, coilovers and brakes during the off season. I want to get rid of my car, but at the same time...I just want to keep it to use as a race car/weekend driver.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, thanks Ken. Now get back to work!

Coilovers and some RPF1s are still tops on my list. Beyond that I'm kind of at the limit of my class for the simple stuff. I think. Some Corbeau A4s would be nice also.

I've at least debated keeping the tC as a "fun" car after it is paid off. But it will really depend on what comes out and if I find something I really like before it's paid off.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Get some CR1's, the A4's aren't supportive enough IMO. I LOVE my CR1's. And from what I've been reading, aside from tires...seats are one of the biggest improvements you can make to the car for AutoX.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Oh, and I know it could depend on the track, but what gear do you stay in, second or third?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting. I'd just always heard the A4s make good "starter" seats. Then again if I'm going to be spending a few hundred $$ for seats and then more for brackets, might as well get something nicer, right.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member

Alan there is a set of A4's sitting in my garage, if you wanna take them for a test ride let me know. I felt secure in your car with the harness, but hey it could be some weight loss too, and might bring the seat lower too.

Personally i would look into a LSD, before more suspension work, exp for a Daily driver. I LOVED mine you can get on the power earlier out of the corners, and we were lighting up the inside at this event...
Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and I know it could depend on the track, but what gear do you stay in, second or third?
Rarely ever in third. Almost all courses are just second gear. Occasionally I'll stay in first for a few seconds - like that vid above, I'm in first around the sharp right and then the sharp left right at the start - then it stays in second.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KENLUDE97
Alan there is a set of A4's sitting in my garage, if you wanna take them for a test ride let me know. I felt secure in your car with the harness, but hey it could be some weight loss too, and might bring the seat lower too.

Personally i would look into a LSD, before more suspension work, exp for a Daily driver. I LOVED mine you can get on the power earlier out of the corners, and we were lighting up the inside at this event...
Ya, I figured those were what you had from those pics before. The LSD just seems to complicate things for me though. It's $1000 for the tC + install, and even then I end up in STX.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Rarely ever in third. Almost all courses are just second gear. Occasionally I'll stay in first for a few seconds - like that vid above, I'm in first around the sharp right and then the sharp left right at the start - then it stays in second.
Figured that...my second gear is damn near useless . Once boost hits at about 3500RPM, bye bye traction.

And trust me on the seats. The A4s are great, but the CR1s are much more aggresive. I got mine for a steal. If I didn't find this set for $300, I would have went with the A4s.

Then again, I don't actually have CR1's...mine are the Carrera's, which are the last-gen seats. They're made for up to 32-34" waist, where the new CR1s are 34-36".
Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member

Well let me know if ya wanna sit in them. They are "narrow"

Yes a LSD is not cheap and not easy, but SOOOO worth it, and hey there is usually good competation in STX.... But hey do what makes ya happy

I'll butt out now.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What harness are you running ack?

I just do the "lock trick" with the stock seat belts and it does just fine for me :D
Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KENLUDE97
Well let me know if ya wanna sit in them. They are "narrow"

Yes a LSD is not cheap and not easy, but SOOOO worth it, and hey there is usually good competation in STX.... But hey do what makes ya happy

I'll butt out now.
Ya, I actually beat John this last event. So that was kind of nice. But there isn't much other STX competition. I'd probably do OK in STX with the LSD and then maybe go to a wider wheel/tire. I think that just ends up coming down to the $.

I have the Scrothe Rallye 3. It was attached to the upper rear seatbelt mount. But just last night I changed it to the child seat mounting bolt in the rear. It is up higher than the actual rear seat mounting points (which are the common spots) so the angle is much better than it would be otherwise. I know anything less than 90* is baaaad. This looks much better than that.

Quick Reply: AutoX - Event #2, Yesterday