Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Engine braking...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I've only owned automatics, so I don't really know much about downshifting, but I test drove a car that I was looking into buying that was a manual and the guy (who had only owned manuals) was trying to teach me to engine brake / down shift when coming to a stop or slowing down. His reasoning was that it gave me, the driver, more control over the vehicle. When you downshift, the wheels are still being controlled by the gears in the tranny, so if you have the foot off of the gas, the tranny is bringing the car back down, faster than it would if you were to have it in neutral. It didn't make much sense until after I tried it and got used to it. I felt much more in control when I downshifted than when I had it in neutral. Of course that is what brakes are for and you should not really be worried about wearing brakes (they are so inexpensive!), but for your own safety and the well being of the car, downshifting should be practiced so you don't lose control of the vehicle. I do it (I turn off overdrive) when I'm coming down a ramp or an incline and it decreases my stopping time/distance and gives me the feeling of more control. Neutral should only be engaged when the vehicle isn't moving (or isn't moving over 10 mph). But hey, it's your car; do what you will.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well said drizzle. I should have pointed that out too.
It's really a controll thing...plus when you are downshifted
for a turn or possible stop, you are already in the gear you
need to accelerate back up to cruising speed.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just remembered another reason I engine brake...

When I am moving a bit faster than the speed limit and I spot a police car (marked or unmarked), I either drop it down a gear and rev match, or just hit the OD Off button if I'm in one of my company's vehicles. This way I adjust my speed to "not so noticeable" without calling much attention to my car because this way I avoid iluminating the brakes lightsand the vehicle won't "nose dive"!

Old 05-09-2005, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member

wait, im a noob. So how exactly do you engine brake? You just downshift and slowly let out the clutch and force the rpms to go up?

For those of you who rev match and then downshift, how does that help you brake anyways?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

You should always always rev match. . . it doesn't help overall braking that much, but it can take some of the burden off the brakes. . .

Secondly, during high speed driving(or racing), less burden on the brakes means less heat, which means that you can save your brakes for when you need them. . . otherwise they would overheat faster.

No, engine braking does not hurt the engine. And yes, I use it all the time. But done correctly, it's not like I can stop without using the brakes at all.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by jackmott
engine braking will waste gas and wear out tranny synchros faster.

so, there is no rational reason to engine brake, unless you find it particularly fun.

Being in the right gear at the right time is very important, slow coasting in gear is not destrutive to the tranny. All truckers engine brake, vehicles with automatic transmissions engine brake and most motorcyclist engine brake, these engines and trannies don't seem to brake down any sooner.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikochu
Do you guys coast, as well? Like, I'll disengage the clutch, go into neutral, and just cruise...

Also, when you guys brake, do you guys disengage the clutch (if you're not in neutral)...?
Downshifting (engine braking as you called it) isn't bad for your engine or tranny if done right do not downshift at a higher rpm then the gear can handle (those speeds and rpms are in the tc's manual, this is done by the tranny in an auto), its actually prefered because going into neutral and dropping rpms so fast can be bad for your engine and tranny. When slowing down an automatic tranny downshifts automatically just as you should with a manual. The problem people have and the reason why most people will say they have their own of doing it is because most people dont tap the brakes to lower the rpms enough before downshifting and they get that huge roar when the rpms sky rocket. When done right downshifting is what you should be doing, trannys are designed for it.

hope that helps
Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I engine break all the time also. It doesn't do anything to your tranny or synchros as long as you know how to rev-match. only downside is it burns gas, woohoo
Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CorollasBest
I engine break all the time also. It doesn't do anything to your tranny or synchros as long as you know how to rev-match. only downside is it burns gas, woohoo
Could that be why I have such poor fuel mileage...?

I kinda knew that, guess I'm just a bit of a dunce!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have an auto and will typically use the o/d feature. Great way to slow down a bit, also to get started i leave it there untill I hit 45/50 then re-engage the o/d.
Works good in areas posted at 45 or below.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

saves brakes are people dumb???

price of pads vs. price of clutch
Old 05-23-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

man. . . some people never read
Old 05-23-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
man. . . some people never read
word
Old 05-23-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hahaha, you read my mind, djct...
Old 05-23-2005, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikochu
Do you guys coast, as well? Like, I'll disengage the clutch, go into neutral, and just cruise...

Also, when you guys brake, do you guys disengage the clutch (if you're not in neutral)...?
I coast in gear, give me that extra confidence as when I want to stop. Coast in neutral does not hurt as long as you have a manual, but don't do it when you're going down slope. WHen I brake, I step on the brake pedal only and will only disengage clutch at low speed (like 20-25 ). Again, engine brake play a role here.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:28 AM
mo2
5 Year Member

engine braking = rear ended
why your not telling the person behind you on a cell phone drinking coffe and change radio stations while trying to stay awake your slowing down why do you think its illegal to have busted tail lights
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by mo2
why your not telling the person behind you on a cell phone drinking coffe and change radio stations while trying to stay awake your slowing down why do you think its illegal to have busted tail lights
Then apparently if they cant see they are getting closer to you they need to do 3 things...
1> stop doing all that crap and drive.
2> Back the Fsk up, I'll engine brake on purpose if some Azz is tailgating me.
3> Pay attention to driving.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mo2
Don't drive to control the person behind you... If you need brakelights to tell if someone is slowing in front of you and/or you can't anticipate WHY that person is slowing, then there's a bigger problem on the road...