General driving and racing...

Hard to Heel and toe with tC

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hard to Heel and toe with tC

I've been trying to do the heel and toe technique but it seems like i always encounter the space problem. There's isn't enough space when I rotate my foot to step on the gas while I'm pressing the brake, i always ended up hitting the pad on the right side of the gas pedal. Can anyone tell me how to do it with a tC and a picture would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm rather proficient at heel toeing with stock pedals and regular shoes in a TC. I'll see if i can make a little video of it with a description.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pedal arms can also be bent if ever need be;)

Just takes practice and I have to admit I have never been a good dancer or heel and toer either but I am prety quick nevertheless
Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i actually have the OBX pedals and I wear my sparco sport shoes regularly, for some reason I just can't do it due to the space problem and it seems like the gas pedal isnt long enough for me to press on. Then i try a different method instead of rotating my heel to the gas pedal while pressing the brake with my toe: I used my left edge of my foot to press on the brake while sliding my right edge of my foot to press the gas, then i realized i can't slide enough to press the gas, instead, i slided off the brake when i finally pressed the gas. so frustrating..
Old 11-11-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have size 15 feet. It's super easy.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:37 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

the ball below my big right toe goes to brake, and right side of foot slides to gas.... if you're having space issues, a good set of pedals can make it easier.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please please excuse the newb question, i know i know i cant believe it either, but what does using heel toe technique do? Im new to driving, but plan on going to the tracks after a while. Sorry for jacking your thred im not meaning too, just curious. Oh and please if you feel like making an **** outa urself and cuting me down go for it itll catch up to ya, thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my opinion, heel and toe is a fast racing type downshifting technique that is commonly used by race drivers but it's also very beneficial to street drivers as well.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it saves the tranny a bit by rev matching so the clutch doesn't have to jerk as much and things like that. I got a set of carbon fiber pedals at pep boys, and my brake pedal and gas are real close together, it doesn't really matter where the clutch is so its cool. Just buy a pair of formula d shoes and you can heel toe like ken gushi... or do what i did and get farrari shoes in italy. They add about 10whp too. just in case you were wondering.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do u actually use your toe on the brake? if u do, i think there would be a space problem. i use the ball of my foot which i thought everyone did (maybe u do), but maybe its a lot easier for me because i have small feet. using the ball of your foot is the only thing i can think of and it seems easier to me than actually using your toe.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I hate the feeling of rubbing your hell off the padding when trying to heel toe. Im new to manual so im still learning but another thing that agravates me is that you can't feel anything through the pedal. Its hard to determine how much gas you are actually giving it so its always to little or too much.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

practice x 10!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If someone can provide me some pics it would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I dont have any space problems with obx pedals and size 10s.BELIEVE ME you do NOT need sparco shoes or any such nonsense. there is no hard and fast right way to do this.Practice (in a straight line)and mix it up a little until you do get the feel for it and if you cant do it one way then dont do it that way!!!

I personally cannot use my heel to control the the throttle.I brake with the left side of my foot and tip the right side onto the gas, blip the throttle change gear and grin but I mainly use it in cornering to minimize the upset to the driving line.

IF anything is true about driving stick it is PRACTICE.
15 years of it and still learning and improving.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive every day with heel-toe because when you hit he track it becomes second nature. Really and truthfully heel-toe has alota benefits and it's an essential technique that you basically must learn if you ever plan on driving a real performance car with high horse power. Heel-toe for one thing gives you an edge on a track because it gives you instant torque and hp in your peak power band. Your heel-toe technique should keep the car smooth and within it's peak power band so that if that power is needed it's there instantly for your exit from a corner or grabbing an inside line on another opponent. When you drive a real high horsepower car with a stage 3 or higher clutch trust me if you can't heel-toe you'll wish you could or you'll be jerking your ____ around like it's a bull. The high horsepower requires the need for a higher quality and higher pressure clutch which of course if you've ever driven one is either on or off there is no clutch slipping to smooth into the gear. Basically it's preparation for the future if you ever plan on driving a boosted car and it's essential to drive a track properly.

This weekend i'll go ahead and do a tutorial on performance driving with some pictures and possibly a video if i can figure out a way to mount my busted ___ camera near my feet.

One thing you must learn is to forget about that tach, you don't have time for your eyes to transmit to your brain and then your brain process the reading and you drop the clutch on the gear. Use your ears and yoru ears only, roll down the windows and the sun roof and listen to the engine, if you can't comprehend your engine then you can't heel-toe. You must be able to guesstimate where to drop a gear audibly or you'll end up jerking it all around. This comes with practice and experience and there is really no other way to learn it than to drop a gear or two and take into account what happend and what to chang next time.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best shoes for heel-toe: RAINBOW SANDALS.

Plus they're oh-so comfy and the feel of leather on feet is just so nice and.. what? Not from Cali? Bummer.. Well, try importing some Rainbows; it'll be the smartest decision of your life.

And think about it, Rainbows are trendy upscale sandals right? If you don't have a BMW 3 series, the next best thing to match the Rainbows and the iPod is a tC!

Anyways, I've found that heel-toe doesn't get very much easier between shoes and sandals and pedals. The biggest help is the pedal size but on the tC as well as my Saturn (my first stick that I learned on) the space between the brake and the gas isn't too big for my size 9.5 feet.

if you're having problems with space, the easiest solution (from what my size 13 friend says) is to cover the entire brake pedal with your foot and depress all three pedals at once. Unless you have wide feet, heel-toe is easiest if done with the heel and the toe. People with wider feet or people with really close sports pedals (real sports pedals, not the OBX ones offered from the dealer. Real sports pedals would be pedals that extend the width of the pedal) don't need to use heel and toe but instead can use both sides of the right foot - that is, the big toe on the brake and the pinky toe on the gas.

I haven't tried using this method because I feel that with my heel I can better modulate the amont of gas. A lot of people (like seriously everyone else) feel that the heel is not sensitive enough but I think it is.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a free set of Razo CF pedals.

Razo says RP104's are the best model for the tC and I got RP105's. The 105's are much bigger. Most people that drive my car get irritated b/c they're so big, but.....

I can heel toe with each side of my right foot...hah!

"Are you heel-toeing?" "I like to call it lefting-righting" lol

Here's a pic of the pedals.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
The best shoes for heel-toe: RAINBOW SANDALS.
Not sure if you were joking or not but truthfully that's about the worst suggestion ever to someone that hasn't even attempted heel-toe correctly. There are too many situations where you can hang the sandle or your foot on the pedal while in the process.

If you're new at this i'd suggest getting some shoes that has a very small to non existant leather to sole ridge, not neccesarily racing shoes but something that fits snugly and has a very smooth transition all the way to the bottom of the sole no bull____ like a big plastic nike swish coming off the side of a channel or a ridge that can catch the pedal if you misplace your foot.

Reason for this is you won't be perfect when you're learning and you will ____ up and misplace your foot and snag the pedal with the channel of the shoe or what not, using these types of shoes cuts down on that because if you ____ up just a bit the shoe will slide onto the pedal instead of getting caught in the channel between the sole and the upper suede or whatever.

Oh and as for the rainbows, I have a pair i've had for 3 years that I wear every day I don't go to work and I live in florida. Yes you can heel-toe just fine in them but it's a little more of a concious mind to make sure you don't cram th epedal between your foot and the sandle.

Good Example:

Bad Example:

Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have these in red white and blue...its like wearing socks, u can feel EVERYTHING that comes through the pedals, and sooooo comfortable...they get the job done
Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

OBX pedals wont help you with heel and toe shifting since the size of the gas pedal and the brake isnt that big. The thinner the sole, the better it is for driving. You really do not need to rotate your right foot. Just put your foot half onto the brake and half on to the gas.

You dont always want to use heel toe when you down shift. Only use it when you will significantly reduce your speed (meaning, the need to hit the brake). If you are just going to downshift then just rev the engine a little when you down shift. Personally I think heel toe shifting is not very safe for normal driving. When you are on the track you know there wont be a pedestrian or a car that will stop for no reason or a dog running around . all the cars are gong the same direction. What if you do hell to shifting then suddenly you really have to stop. Your foot will get caught on both brake and gas and if you slip you might hit only the gas pedal. I recommend people to learn the technique but please dont use it all the time. IT IS DANGEROUS! You dont want to be stepping on the gas when you want to stop right away do you? Keep it only on the track.

I only find it useful for everyday driving when I am exiting the highway and about to turn. Now how do I make sure I am not doing a complete stop before I turn? I hope people understand what I am saying. Here are my CF momo pedals.

Quick Reply: Hard to Heel and toe with tC