Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

Hard to Heel and toe with tC

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been practicing for some time now and yeah, i agree on not doing it in traffic. I find that my foot is barely on the brake (big toe basically) and the right side of my foot is on the gas. it can slip either way i gues...just dont want it to happen in traffic.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I have Celica GTS/IS300 pedals...

The tab on the gas pedal helps :D
Old 11-11-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice i bet that does some. might have to look for those
Old 11-11-2005, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

He's absolutely right about not doing in traffic at first, you'll have alota anticipation at first about the entire process you'll be thinking really hard about dropping the gear correctly so you don't snap the clutch on the flywheel. You need to master this on a straight road with little to no traffic on it at first and then move on to shallow curves and once you're proficient you can move onto being comfortable with it in traffic and taking 90' turns.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:16 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dp-_-
I got a free set of Razo CF pedals.

Razo says RP104's are the best model for the tC and I got RP105's. The 105's are much bigger. Most people that drive my car get irritated b/c they're so big, but.....

I can heel toe with each side of my right foot...hah!

"Are you heel-toeing?" "I like to call it lefting-righting" lol

Here's a pic of the pedals.

hey.. i got those pedals too.. the GT-spec ones.. but i got the recommended RP104's.. lucky butt, how'd you get them for free? i think i got them for $55 after tax... and also... you switched your clutch and brake pedals around (notice the brake pedal has that little thingy on the bottom right corner... to match the gas pedal's bottom left corner)... i also "heel-toe" with each side of my right foot....

since the tC has that drive-by-wire system, it's hard to really control the gas, so i just blip it and then listen to the engine for when to drop the clutch.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biGhuK
Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
The best shoes for heel-toe: RAINBOW SANDALS.
Not sure if you were joking or not but truthfully that's about the worst suggestion ever to someone that hasn't even attempted heel-toe correctly. There are too many situations where you can hang the sandle or your foot on the pedal while in the process.

If you're new at this i'd suggest getting some shoes that has a very small to non existant leather to sole ridge, not neccesarily racing shoes but something that fits snugly and has a very smooth transition all the way to the bottom of the sole no bull____ like a big plastic nike swish coming off the side of a channel or a ridge that can catch the pedal if you misplace your foot.

Oh and as for the rainbows, I have a pair i've had for 3 years that I wear every day I don't go to work and I live in florida. Yes you can heel-toe just fine in them but it's a little more of a concious mind to make sure you don't cram th epedal between your foot and the sandle.
Hahahahaha, Im so sorry! It was a joke. It's definitely harder in sandals, for sure. But I manage to not snag the pedals wearing sandals. I used to but.. I guess I figured how to not snag the sandals. But my point still remains, it doesn't get substantially easier with shoes or sandals or racing shoes or anything else really. The pedals, I've found, help the most but even then it's really what is the most comfortable that is the setup that helps the most. To me, my kungfu shoes are the easiest to use followed by my chucks and then by Addidas. I haven't used racing shoes yet though.. they don't match anything I have. I've driven some cars with sports pedals, even the sports pedals that extend the sides - In my experience, which may very well differ from anyone elses, they don't make very much difference.

My Cali statement is a little bit of .. regional prejudice against Californians. We're so full of ourselves, I swear.

Oh man, I hope no one went off to try and learn how to heel-toe in Rainbows! Again, I have to apologize because I assumed that people would look at my reasoning that they're good for heel-toe and realize it has nothing to do with anything.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
Originally Posted by dp-_-
I got a free set of Razo CF pedals.

Razo says RP104's are the best model for the tC and I got RP105's. The 105's are much bigger. Most people that drive my car get irritated b/c they're so big, but.....

I can heel toe with each side of my right foot...hah!

"Are you heel-toeing?" "I like to call it lefting-righting" lol

Here's a pic of the pedals.

hey.. i got those pedals too.. the GT-spec ones.. but i got the recommended RP104's.. lucky butt, how'd you get them for free? i think i got them for $55 after tax... and also... you switched your clutch and brake pedals around (notice the brake pedal has that little thingy on the bottom right corner... to match the gas pedal's bottom left corner)... i also "heel-toe" with each side of my right foot....

since the tC has that drive-by-wire system, it's hard to really control the gas, so i just blip it and then listen to the engine for when to drop the clutch.
Mine would have been that much, but I dropped $2200 that day at a particular shop. You get the idea. Also, a good friend of mine has known the shop owner since he was 5...that also helps

I switched the pedals on purpose. Yeah, it "matches," but I felt that putting it on the outside made it bring it together more. As in, the two outside ones have those thingermajigs and the middle one doesn't
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

woot! this thread rocks. I finally mastered heeltoeing! well not really but im getting there =P I was doing like 45 in 3rd when I was coming up to a yellow light so I thought id try heeltoeing to stop a little quicker. I did what someone posted in this thread and just listened to the engine and didnt look at the tach. It was absolutely perfect =D. The trick is to just blip the throttle. Don't bother trying to regulate how much gas you are giving it and just blip it a little.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right now i'm trying to get comfortable with double clutching since it seems easier to me, moving to heel n toeing soon tho.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Double clutching is useless in modern day cars. The only time it's useful in our car is when you put it in reverse and it seems to not want to go in.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know, but i feel that i should get comfortable with that before i tackle heel n toe
Old 11-12-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heel toe is essentially double clutching mnus hitting the clutch twice. All you should be practicing is rev matching. Heel toe will come after you've learned how to match revs.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, that's what i'm trying to get comfortable with, match reving, but I just feel so nervous and usually messed up when i'm doin heel n toe (also called single clutching) Anywayz, matching revving such is a pain in the butt, I just have quite a bit of trouble matching the rev b/c it varies so much and I dont know if i can do it w/o looking at the tach.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:36 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

learn to listen to your car.. it takes practice... don't be afraid to do it. you're gonna have to learn sooner or later, right? it takes abit of trial and error, but you'll get there.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been practicing heel toe shifting for a few months now. Personally, I have the obx pedals and I'm a girl so I also have small feet. My problem is that I either can't blip the throttle right or my foot slips off the brake, depending on which way I try it. I have yet to make a smooth attempt but I think I'm getting better. Practice is key. ;)
Old 11-13-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miraclecreator
Yup, that's what i'm trying to get comfortable with, match reving, but I just feel so nervous and usually messed up when i'm doin heel n toe (also called single clutching) Anywayz, matching revving such is a pain in the butt, I just have quite a bit of trouble matching the rev b/c it varies so much and I dont know if i can do it w/o looking at the tach.
When rev matching, think of where the tach would be on the lower gear down. i.e. when going 30 mph in 2nd, you might be at 3000rpms. So when you're rev-matching from third gear, you might be going 2500rpms or something. You blip the throttle and you should get something like 3500 rpms from the blip. As the tach is coming down to 3000, you should be letting the clutch out at about the same time.

Also, I would recommend downshift to 4th or 3rd only. Our 1st & 2nd gears are so useless it makes it incredibly hard to rev match and downshift. Especially when you're trying to power out of a turn b/c your revs are usually higher than hell already.

I learned best when I forgot about downshifting into 1st and 2nd. I now only downshift to third....
Old 11-13-2005, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

if any of you have wrestled in high school or whatever then youd know what im about to talk about but anyways i like to use my wrestling shoes when i drive sometimes... they look like race shoes, they fit like a sock, and the sole is a 3mm flexible peice of rubber

Old 11-13-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

try driving barefoot. i learned to heel-toe over the summer, i always wear flip flops and would take them off while driving to avoid getting them caught on the pedal. with no shoes on it came pretty naturally to me. now i can do it in sneakers too.

i dont really use my heel, i put the ball of my right foot on the brake and then twist so that the lower right edge is on the gas. its more the side of the foot than the heel.

also, i dont try to hold the throttle at the right position to match the revs. with the clutch in, the throttle is too sensitive to do this. just blip the throttle (sort of stab it with your foot) and then either play it by ear or watch the tach to see when you should drop the clutch. you can either do it quickly while the revs are rising or let them peak and start to fall again. its more about timing than how hard you actually hit the throttle, IMO.

i use stock pedals btw, ive never had problems with space or anything like that. size 11 shoe, so i figure im pretty average.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blastedat9
try driving barefoot. i learned to heel-toe over the summer, i always wear flip flops and would take them off while driving to avoid getting them caught on the pedal. with no shoes on it came pretty naturally to me. now i can do it in sneakers too.
Haha, I can't drive barefoot to save my life. But I can drive in four inch heels, still can't heel-toe though.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cadre
Originally Posted by blastedat9
Haha, I can't drive barefoot to save my life. But I can drive in four inch heels, still can't heel-toe though.
thats is so hot

Quick Reply: Hard to Heel and toe with tC