General driving and racing...

help with the straight line

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default help with the straight line

ah guys I'm so frustrated. I do not know wtf I am doing wrong but I can not get my 0-60 below 9sec nor can I get my 1/4 times out of the high 16s... I honestly don't know what to do. I don't see how I can launch any harder or shift any quicker. Can anyone help me out?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A timeslip would help. I suspect the problem is in your shifting, though. Your 0-60 should be at least in the high-7's.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres some of stats:
0-10 mph: 1.21 sec
0-30 mph: 3.77 sec
0-60 mph: 9.00 sec
0-80 mph: 14.72 sec

60': 2.95 sec @ 25.8 mph
330': 7.41 sec @50.4 mph
1/8 mi: 11.05 sec @ 69.0 mph

So judging from that 1/8 mile run, do you think my problem has more to do with my launching or shifting? thanks for the help :-)
Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
heres some of stats:

So judging from that 1/8 mile run, do you think my problem has more to do with my launching or shifting? thanks for the help :-)
launching. even with stock tires a 2.3 60 foot time is common
Old 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
heres some of stats:

launching. even with stock tires a 2.3 60 foot time is common
nice, thats what I'll focus on then. I think I'll try hold the engine at a higher RPM and slipping the clutch more... thanks. If anyone else has tips, please throw em out there :-)
Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) I wouldn't trust the iPhone thing 100% It's neat for comparison, sitting in different cars and comparing to butt dyno... yet, I wouldn't bank on it's accuracy.

2) Launching is your problem. get it down to sub- 2.4, and it's amazing how much time you'll shave off.

And a repost from the iPhone dyno thread---

---------------------------------------------------
There is a whole section dedicated to power, but there are plenty of things people overlook, or try to downplay the significance of :

Oil changes
Dirty air filters
Last time fuel injection cleaner was used
Tire pressure
Tire make/model/condition
Amount of fuel (weight)
Weight of driver
Weight of anything else in the car, floormats, spare tire, etc.
Elevation of testing ground
Uphill / Downhill
Relative humidity of that day (yes, it matters)

yadda yadda yadda.

Though, acceleration isn't everything. If you look at what the NEW cars these days are putting out, then you might be disappointed, but, if you consider what people ACTUALLY drive, the tC is certainly quick enough.
------------------------------------------

Try lowering your front pressures and pumping up the back. This tends to do well for straight-line. Not recommended for autoX though.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
1) I wouldn't trust the iPhone thing 100% It's neat for comparison, sitting in different cars and comparing to butt dyno... yet, I wouldn't bank on it's accuracy.

2) Launching is your problem. get it down to sub- 2.4, and it's amazing how much time you'll shave off.

And a repost from the iPhone dyno thread---

---------------------------------------------------
There is a whole section dedicated to power, but there are plenty of things people overlook, or try to downplay the significance of :

Oil changes
Dirty air filters
Last time fuel injection cleaner was used
Tire pressure
Tire make/model/condition
Amount of fuel (weight)
Weight of driver
Weight of anything else in the car, floormats, spare tire, etc.
Elevation of testing ground
Uphill / Downhill
Relative humidity of that day (yes, it matters)

yadda yadda yadda.

Though, acceleration isn't everything. If you look at what the NEW cars these days are putting out, then you might be disappointed, but, if you consider what people ACTUALLY drive, the tC is certainly quick enough.
------------------------------------------

Try lowering your front pressures and pumping up the back. This tends to do well for straight-line. Not recommended for autoX though.
Oh I definatly dont trust the app as much as a dragsrip, but the times match very well with one time I went to a strip. I was annoyed with my times then, but I let it go, but now I've started thinking about it again and I want to do something about it.

thanks for list of little things to consider but I'm good about my oil, filter, pressure etc... so I dont think all those would make too big of an impact.

Funny thing is I dont even really like drag racing lol. Its entertaining but AutoX and Roadracing are much more fun and interesting. The thing about it is I feel like I should be able to use my car's full acceleration potential so pretty much once I get a time I'm happy with I can stop caring about the numbers again hah
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh I definatly dont trust the app as much as a dragsrip, but the times match very well with one time I went to a strip. I was annoyed with my times then, but I let it go, but now I've started thinking about it again and I want to do something about it.

thanks for list of little things to consider but I'm good about my oil, filter, pressure etc... so I dont think all those would make too big of an impact.

Funny thing is I dont even really like drag racing lol. Its entertaining but AutoX and Roadracing are much more fun and interesting. The thing about it is I feel like I should be able to use my car's full acceleration potential so pretty much once I get a time I'm happy with I can stop caring about the numbers again hah
It's all good.

Just curious, still on stock tires?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup. I have a second set of stock rims in my room though. Next season I'm going to put Azennis on them for AutoX use only :-)
Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Next season I'm going to put Azennis on them for AutoX use only :-)
I'm opening Pandora's box with this, but might I ask why?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was not impressed with my dynolicious times at all. Then again I had just filled up a full tank of crappy gas and the car was just driving like crap + the weight of gas. My car HATES Sunoco gas apparently. It drives so much better with the cheap stuff from FasTrac or something. I probably need a container of injector cleaner too.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
Next season I'm going to put Azennis on them for AutoX use only :-)
I'm opening Pandora's box with this, but might I ask why?
Well Azennies (as far as I know) are pretty much the AutoX tire of choice, and using them would be a great improvement over stock. I wanna keep them on a second set of rims and only use them for AutoX because I will wear through them much sooner if I drive them on the daily than if I just use em every few weekends. Also I dont need that much grip for my daily driving purposes so stock is fine around town

Originally Posted by ack154
I was not impressed with my dynolicious times at all. Then again I had just filled up a full tank of crappy gas and the car was just driving like crap + the weight of gas. My car HATES Sunoco gas apparently. It drives so much better with the cheap stuff from FasTrac or something. I probably need a container of injector cleaner too.
Sunuco gas is crap. I know prices are high but I am very picky about what goes into my tank. I trust Shell the most and Mobil and Marathon are also good. But the likes of BP and Sunuco will never see my car haha. Also I've never used that injector cleaner stuff... how well does it work and how often should it be used?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Azenis = best budget, or bang-for-buck.
RE01R's = Best... period... for street classes. Expensive.
Hoosiers = The only way to go, if you can.

In my playing around with the dynolicious, I think it's pretty decent. Got to be realistic about the weight factor, though. If you're riding around, and you weigh 200lbs, then you START at 3100lbs, and add a guess of what's in the car.

I did a little sprint up the interstate onramp... granted, it was uphill, and I let off at 60... Reported 19.xx quarter at 62... which, would have been precisely right, since I let off. Only reported an average of 120 whp, but that's probably due to wheelspin. The graph was really jagged.

I find that I can wedge the thing in the cubby right in front of the radio. (Got a rubber case around it)... Fits well, doesn't move, and it's in a good spot to see it.

When I have more time, I'll go bounce around some deserted highways and parking lots (for G meter)... Curious to see what it comes out to, when I really try for it.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes I suppose thats how I should have worded my comment about the azennies hah, well put.

The weight entry will not affect the times or G forces calculated by the app, the weight you enter is merely used to calculate hp, I took a run with no wieght added and the times were consistent but it said N/A for hp.

whats unfortunate about the G meeter is that if you pic it up and turn it at all it could affect the results so I havent touched that feature yet. I have an airvent cell phone mount coming in the mail, once I get that I'll play with the other features of the phone.

Also you probably already know but when your going to take a straight run, after you press the start run button you cannot move the phone again untill you have finished your run, other wise your tiems will be off.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are no Shell stations around me... well, there is one down the road, but it's like a 30 mile round trip... and is usually cheaper (in PA, vs NY where I am), but not cheap enough to justify the trip. I usually put the generic stuff b/c my car seems to like it.

Not sure about the injector cleaner though. I read a lot of things saying that the OTC stuff doesn't work or doesn't do anything. I put a bottle in every once in a while (10k miles?) just for the hell of it.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant hurt I suppose, I guess Ill pick up some next time I'm at Murrays yay spending money hah
Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not able to wedge it right in front of the radio?

Mine wedges right in... kills functionality of the radio, but it's ok for short-term. (Has rubber shell). Lets me see it without turning it or messing with it.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
Not able to wedge it right in front of the radio?

Mine wedges right in... kills functionality of the radio, but it's ok for short-term. (Has rubber shell). Lets me see it without turning it or messing with it.
I tried that actually, but I couldnt... maybe its because I dont have a rubber shell
Old 08-02-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What rpms are you launching from?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
What rpms are you launching from?
I think I never held the rpm at any higher than 2k.....

Im thinking Ill start at 3k and play from there. Do you have any tips, I'm pretty much starting from scratch...

Quick Reply: help with the straight line