Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

Street racing is not a sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah...i can agree with all of that. While driving i've seen plenty of drunk drivers on the road, plenty of people talking on the cell phone and only a few street races. Never had a close call with anyone who was racing but i've almost been hit plenty of times by people on the phone or driving impaired...not condoning street racing but it seems to me that those guys are a hell of alot safer than 90% of the other people on the road!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 AM
SL Member

Phoenix area they are adding cameras because of street racing and speeding on highways. Did you guys see the video on the lambo doing 200+ on the hwy in Phoenix?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Link?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by WXMotorSports
Phoenix area they are adding cameras because of street racing and speeding on highways. Did you guys see the video on the lambo doing 200+ on the hwy in Phoenix?
Saw the video of that, but if you're talking about intersection camera's, those aren't due to street racing, those are because of the people who run red lights.

Interestingly enough, studies show that intersections with camera's have a higher percentage of accidents. Lots of people jam on their brakes to avoid a ticket and get rear ended.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not a sport... IT'S A FUN GAME!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:20 PM

It's "fun" until that 1/1,000,000 chance hits you like a brick-wall.

I always went above the speed limit, a lot of people do. Last Sept. I totaled my FM tC because some guy cut me off, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. He was DUI.

They're saying my mostly stock tC is a sports car and that I was speeding, so they say I was at fault. I have court later this month.

Mods I had on my tC: trd shocks & springs & rear sway bar, gfx & 18"x7.5" wheels. I don't really see anything sporty about my mods. Maybe it was the pedestal spoiler.

If anything, you learn not to speed to give people the satisfaction of making a "witch" out of you.

Be smart. It's not worth the hassle when it does happen. I've got lawyer fees that could've gone towards my car. I got credit card bills that I piled up putting ____ on that car, and I don't have it anymore. Not. Worth. It.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^You didn't have insurance on your mods? Pay cash for them next time.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mriches
It's not a sport... IT'S A FUN GAME!!!!!!!!!
my friend crashed his 350z racing a beemer, he was going 80 fishtailing and BAM. Lucky he was saved by a parked car.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats the crap that ____es me off. People who think they are the poo because they stomp on the gas and have a meaningless stupid contest that proves nothing on the street. It doesnt prove anything. Go to the track and see how slow u are.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^You can still suck at street racing too....lol.

But what amazes me is that this thread is STILL going!! Who the heck brought it from the dead?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
thats the crap that ____es me off. People who think they are the poo because they stomp on the gas and have a meaningless stupid contest that proves nothing on the street. It doesnt prove anything. Go to the track and see how slow u are.
That doesn't quite make sense though. That's like saying that the NHRA is bogus. It's still a competiton, and it does prove something.

I definitely agree that a day at the track proves MORE, but that doesn't mean I can negate another form of racing because it's something I don't like.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soulquarian
That doesn't quite make sense though. That's like saying that the NHRA is bogus. It's still a competiton, and it does prove something.

I definitely agree that a day at the track proves MORE, but that doesn't mean I can negate another form of racing because it's something I don't like.
no if u win NHRA then u've proved somthing. beating a honda civic on ur way to wendys for a snack...does not. You see my point?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

no if u win NHRA then u've proved somthing. beating a honda civic on ur way to wendys for a snack...does not. You see my point?
But couldnt the same (and I bet you've experienced first hand), be said of tracking an xA?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But couldnt the same (and I bet you've experienced first hand), be said of tracking an xA?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.
if anything tracking an xa, he has proved more than tracking say, an evo or m3.

So no, its not the same.

His point is: Racing a car on the street, all you have to show for it is a story. (setting aside its dangerous and stupid, we've established this) Racing on a track youve proved with skill and documented times (and trophies) how good your car and you are.

if that makes sense. out of it...damn flu.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 PM

I think everyone's goal here should be to have quick enough cars to settle street races prior to hitting the posted speed limit. At least I know that's my goal. No, wait, the real, sensible goal is to stop altogether ;)
Old 03-24-2008, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Save Lives at the Track!! Street race... j/k
Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member