Notices
Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

tC Kill Zone | What have you taken down or what has got you!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Actually, in a Motortrend comparo, the Saturn Ion Redline outhandled the SRT-4
Old 05-09-2005, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stu Gotti
I've raced my buddy Adrians GTi 25th Anniversary Edition several times, and there is no way you are beating a stock GTi.. absolutely no way!
my friend has a '03 GTi VR6 (the 1.8T & VR6 run pretty much exactly the same track times), we race all the time.. all together I'd say we raced over 30 times, from a stop, from a slow roll, from a fast roll.. we even switched driver's a few times. the only time he ever will pull on me is if we're going 70mph or above.

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe, GTi's are mid-low 15 second cars stock. low 15s are VERY rare stock. the DBW technology is terrible on them stock and kills alot of performance in 1st & 2nd gear.

the best time I ran at brandenton was a 15.2, I normally run around 15.3-15.5 in my tC.

and I agree the R32 would destroy me, they're badass cars.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
I have the same issue that you're talking about, I don't think they tested the redline, only the cobalt SS (which is pretty much the same car)..

the redline would of beat it even worse, the redline is actually faster because the rims are smaller and less heavy.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
I have the same issue that you're talking about, I don't think they tested the redline, only the cobalt SS (which is pretty much the same car)..

the redline would of beat it even worse, the redline is actually faster because the rims are smaller and less heavy.
It's a different comparo. . . maybe it was Car and Driver, as I get both, but it was definitely an SRT vs Redline article
Old 05-09-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've raced my buddy Adrians GTi 25th Anniversary Edition several times, and there is no way you are beating a stock GTi.. absolutely no way!
my friend has a '03 GTi VR6 (the 1.8T & VR6 run pretty much exactly the same track times), we race all the time.. all together I'd say we raced over 30 times, from a stop, from a slow roll, from a fast roll.. we even switched driver's a few times. the only time he ever will pull on me is if we're going 70mph or above.

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe, GTi's are mid-low 15 second cars stock. low 15s are VERY rare stock. the DBW technology is terrible on them stock and kills alot of performance in 1st & 2nd gear.

the best time I ran at brandenton was a 15.2, I normally run around 15.3-15.5 in my tC.

True true
Old 05-09-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So many uninformed posts about 1/4 mile times. Here you go. Make it a sticky while your at it.
http://www.geocities.com/bluez2401/carstats.doc
Old 05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member

It's a different comparo. . . maybe it was Car and Driver, as I get both, but it was definitely an SRT vs Redline article
I believe it was actually Road and Track...
Old 05-09-2005, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wins:
93 Probe gt (exhaust, strait pipe, short throw, centerforce clutch)
V6 Firebird
V6 Camero
97 Camry
Integra
01 Cavalier

Loss
93 probe gt( i missed 4th gear ahhh)
Gts Elcipse
Srt-4 neon( had him in first gear, he was about 5 car lengths ahed of me when he hit 2nd, lol)
Corvette
Infinity G35
98 Z28 Camero(350 hp)
Ram 3500 turbo deisal
Old 05-10-2005, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

V6 Camaro's and Mustangs give domestics a bad rap. . . nothing (for them) to brag about. It's nice to see that the tC holds up so well against so many V6 cars
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True true
15.2 is damn good...how are you launching? Ive managed a 15.77 stock (TRD exhaust and 18" chrome wheels) and I range between 10.2 and 10.5 in the 1/8th (cant get the damn launch down, I know there is a few 10ths to be gained!!)
Old 05-10-2005, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fivepointnine
15.2 is damn good...how are you launching? Ive managed a 15.77 stock (TRD exhaust and 18" chrome wheels) and I range between 10.2 and 10.5 in the 1/8th (cant get the damn launch down, I know there is a few 10ths to be gained!!)
I lowered the tire pressure to 25psi, i just rotated the tires for the first time so they had pretty much off all the tread on them.. this was on the crappy stock tires, also.

i launched at 2,300-2,600 rpms, i feathered the clutch and got a 2.2 60', i had some great shifts, I even chirped 3rd.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I lowered the tire pressure to 25psi, i just rotated the tires for the first time so they had pretty much off all the tread on them.. this was on the crappy stock tires, also.

i launched at 2,300-2,600 rpms, i feathered the clutch and got a 2.2 60', i had some great shifts, I even chirped 3rd.
I've been launching right at 2,500.. slamming it into 2nd.. chirp... ride it for a sec.. and then chirp 3rd... usually at this point.. the cars I lose too are able to pull ahead on the lower RPM spectrum in 3rd.. as for those I've beat.. I jump them here.. and continue to pull away..

Launching in the tC is something that is defiently needed to be learned before racing... short shifter is a def too!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do you feather the clutch? I know how to feather the gas, but it seems that feathering the clutch would make it jerk a little bit. I dunno, I'm new to proper launching
Old 05-10-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Feathering is done by not dumping the clutch but actually riding it a little. This hopefully eliminates or decreases wheel spin for you.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

I've been launching right at 2,500.. slamming it into 2nd.. chirp... ride it for a sec.. and then chirp 3rd... usually at this point.. the cars I lose too are able to pull ahead on the lower RPM spectrum in 3rd.. as for those I've beat.. I jump them here.. and continue to pull away..

Launching in the tC is something that is defiently needed to be learned before racing... short shifter is a def too!
Before i went on my modding spree i felt it better to almost rev match the gears from 1st and second and third. if i slammed the gears it would be like lagg between the gears and would kill me. im still breaking the intake and exhaist in so i havent really gunned it that bad yet.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I killed a toyota matrix... I was driving normal when I see this car trying to weave in and out of traffic to get along side me... well needless to say he gets along side me and starts reving his engine. I dont do anything, I havent raced since long before I sold my camaro. We get to the stoplight and I was like, what the heck, this kid has a hard on for this so I'll humor him.. I wait for it and then...GREEN! he hits the gas, I take off normal at first because I wasnt really sure if he was going to go for it, so I slam the gas down now for a smooth take off, then second, then third and it was over before I got to 4th... I know it had exhaust because of the stupid fart can sound, not sure what else... well thats my story
Old 05-10-2005, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kills
04 Toyota Celica(buddies wit injen SHort Ram)
Base Rsx Still had temp plate
Intrega
3000gt SL(heavy ___ car)
95 prelude
04 Civic Si( pretty close considering i have an auto, but driver skill was involved i know that, but still a good race.

Loss to
Integra Gsr on highway 2am had him on the roll then bam vtec kicked in and bye bye

so far thats it dont race to much cause its barely getting nice out here in chicago and all i have is a CAI
Old 05-10-2005, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

gonna have to try that launch point, what do you guys think of a clutch dump at 2000?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gmoney

Before i went on my modding spree i felt it better to almost rev match the gears from 1st and second and third. if i slammed the gears it would be like lagg between the gears and would kill me. im still breaking the intake and exhaist in so i havent really gunned it that bad yet.
you rev match at the track? if you redline each gear doesnt it put you where you should be in the next gear?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

no not at a track. when you shift from second to third gear and slam the gear do you not feel a "lag". im sure its the throttle but i stayed on the gas, not to much, and shifted.it wouldnt bog down when i shifted.

Quick Reply: tC Kill Zone | What have you taken down or what has got you!