General driving and racing...

Turbo TC VS Cobalt SS Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cessblood
on street tuner challenge on the speed channel the cobalt dyno 196 whp stock. I think. I saw it last wednesday.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by miamibusta69
246 and like 144 somthing like that . off a roll they can hang with evo's 13.4 in the 1/4 mile .

that video has a very bad driver.. to get wooped that bad

Not calling BS or anything...but if you can point me in the direction of a video of a Stock Cobalt hanging next to an Evo, I would be thankful.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol hell no . did not mean a stock one ..... but for abut 2 grand there are some pretty good upgrades available.

rythme and smoke if u remember that guy with stage 0 turbo with the problems ... well he got it tuned injetctors and a intercooler on 5 psi . i went for a ride last night on a roll at 35 1st gear he smokes the tires and its an automatic lol crazy.

205 whp 198 tq he was wondering if a crank pully would bennifit at all?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

lol hell no . did not mean a stock one ..... but for abut 2 grand there are some pretty good upgrades available.

rythme and smoke if u remember that guy with stage 0 turbo with the problems ... well he got it tuned injetctors and a intercooler on 5 psi . i went for a ride last night on a roll at 35 1st gear he smokes the tires and its an automatic lol crazy.

205 whp 198 tq he was wondering if a crank pully would bennifit at all?

Awesome for him to get her up and rolling.. Good #'s for an Auto and only 5lbs. Crank pulley on an Auto, I would think would show some benefits, not sure exactly how much though, as I don't have any experience with Auto and Crank Pullies besides an old friend of ours has an A/T xA. And he put a ZPI crank pulley on it. He said he noticed some gains. On a M/T a crank pulley will show significant gains in 1-3rd gear.

They are pretty in expensive and deemed to be a "Best Bang for the Buck" type mod. So, tell him to pick one up and then re-dyno, so we all can see the benefits.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i have a zpi pully on my auto and i feel it. wondering if it will be more of a risk with a turbo.

should be 230 whp very shortly... hope he gets the valve body upgrade or bye bye tranny
Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

well i have a zpi pully on my auto and i feel it. wondering if it will be more of a risk with a turbo.

should be 230 whp very shortly... hope he gets the valve body upgrade or bye bye tranny

Well, Yes...and....NO on the "bye bye tranny". If he doesn't already have one, tell him to pick up a Tranny cooler. This will by him Ample time in preserving the Auto tranny while saving up for the valve body upgrade.

PS....so when am I going to see ZPI Turbo kit...in your Sig list of parts?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he has a tranny cooler... hope your right

sorry there will be no zpi turbo in my sig . My car is for sale and a 2007 bmw 328i coupe is on the way

ill still be on the loook out for your kill list videos ! keep em coming by the way
Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to be a nay sayer, but the guy driving the SS muct not have been trying too hard... my buddy has one... and has had all the stages... that bad boy can rip it!

Even a turbo'd tc's going to have a tough time with a SS stage 2.

I love my tc sc... but gotta respect Chevy's effort with the Cobalt.... even more, you gotta love GM for supporting and listening to the Cobalt's fans with stage kits....

TRD should be doing the same thing... have NST make the kits with TRD badging and remaps.... People would pay a premium for it to be offered by TRD and covered.

I would!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCtuner

TRD should be doing the same thing... have NST make the kits with TRD badging and remaps.... People would pay a premium for it to be offered by TRD and covered.

I would!
Well write TRD an e-mail and tell them what the Fanboys want. To bad you can't get a list of how many people that want a stage 2 s/c or some upgrades parts.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tCtuner wrote:

I would!

cessblod wrote:

Well write TRD an e-mail and tell them what the Fanboys want. To bad you can't get a list of how many people that want a stage 2 s/c or some upgrades parts.
Perhaps we should start a thread with sign ups for a stage kit... just to show TRD and Toyota some potential numbers of how many of us would be interested... Yeah they'll listen to that.... sure.... twenty or so folks on SL?

Nope. If they haven't done it by now, they won't. I was just commenting on the fact that Toyota is not supporting the tC (with power mods) the way GM is supporting the Cobalt....

Maybe that is why Toyota is now the leader and GM.... well.... isn't.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

he has a tranny cooler... hope your right

sorry there will be no zpi turbo in my sig . My car is for sale and a 2007 bmw 328i coupe is on the way

ill still be on the loook out for your kill list videos ! keep em coming by the way

Oh, you will. You will....we got a new tC in the group. Lets just say...it will make me look like I'm going in Reverse.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Not to be a nay sayer, but the guy driving the SS muct not have been trying too hard... my buddy has one... and has had all the stages... that bad boy can rip it!

I love my tc sc... but gotta respect Chevy's effort with the Cobalt.... even more, you gotta love GM for supporting and listening to the Cobalt's fans with stage kits....

I would!

Are you Serious...

Originally Posted by GM Website
The Stage 1 kit includes higher-flow fuel injectors and ECU calibration to provide a 31-horsepower boost to the Cobalt's 205-hp engine, for a total of 236 hp and 205 pound-feet of torque. The Stage 2 kit boosts output to 241 hp and 218 lb-ft of torque.

Dude, a turbo tC puts down 250+whp and 260+wtq at just 7lbs of boost. Sorry, you are going to need more than a Stage 2 SS to take out a even a Basic boosting tC.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

rhythmnsmoke Posted: 4/9/07 8:59AM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tCtuner wrote:

I would!

Are you Serious...

GM Website wrote:
The Stage 1 kit includes higher-flow fuel injectors and ECU calibration to provide a 31-horsepower boost to the Cobalt's 205-hp engine, for a total of 236 hp and 205 pound-feet of torque. The Stage 2 kit boosts output to 241 hp and 218 lb-ft of torque.

Dude, a turbo tC puts down 250+whp and 260+wtq at just 7lbs of boost. Sorry, you are going to need more than a Stage 2 SS to take out a even a Basic boosting tC.
rhythmnsmoke, I got lots of love for what you got in your ride, but you must not have seen any of these stage 2 SS in action... TRUST me when I tell you they are low balling the numbers! My neighbors dyno'd at 265 to the wheels (@ 18 psi) and he has the stage 2 kit and a dyno tune.... It is a monster...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

rhythmnsmoke Posted: 4/9/07 8:59AM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tCtuner wrote:

I would!

Are you Serious...

GM Website wrote:

rhythmnsmoke, I got lots of love for what you got in your ride, but you must not have seen any of these stage 2 SS in action... TRUST me when I tell you they are low balling the numbers! My neighbors dyno'd at 265 to the wheels (@ 18 psi) and he has the stage 2 kit and a dyno tune.... It is a monster...

You are going to have to convince me better than 265 though. And you can't just do a generally LUMP sum classification on "Turbo" tC's. Some of them are putting down 300+ with just 8 PSI on some of the larger turbo setups.

Now I'm not calling Cobalts SS slow. So, maybe I should have clarified it a little better. You will need more than a Stage 2 SS to take out ANY turbo tC we got here in our Club... except for one. And that's Louis in his Stage 0 tC.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they are good on a roll but ive seen my share of wheel hop disasters that they have ..... broken axle any one?

for the price of a stage 2 plus the sc cobalt id say spring for the mazda 3 speed now thats a monstor in wagon sheet medal
Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pics of your custom kit?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pshhh