General driving and racing...

Wheels. Autox. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheels. Autox. Worth it?

So I was looking at some wheels lately and debating if I want to spend the $$. The ones I was looking at sold already (craigslist) and I've now been considering some Enkei RPF1s to replace my OEM wheels.

And considering the OEM wheels are something like 23lbs each.. and the RPF1s are just a tad over 15lbs... would I be able to really expect much of a performance difference for the $900 I'd spend on them?

Throw some thoughts at me... what do you think? Yay, nay?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on how competitive you get in your autocross.

to be honest, the first time i autocrossed, i was on all season kumho ecsta asx, and i did pretty darn good because they really let me know what was going on, i was very comfortible with then, and new exactly when they were at the limit of grip and were about to slip, INFACT i actually counted on it cuz i love to slide the car around.

then last summer i actually bought a set of wheels that were wider, and had summer tires on them, bridgestone kdw2's, and while they did have more grip than the asx's did, i never really felt confident in them, they didn't communicate with me, i just couldn't get a feel for their limits. by the time i realized i was going to exceed their grip it was too late in a corner to really recover.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kind of started out the same way... first few were on OEM tires and I was just figuring out wth I was doing. When I started to get serious, I jumped up to the same KDW2s - which were OK - like you said, they don't really give much feedback. And then the sway bars went on. And the lowering springs. And the front strut bar.

Last season I was running the RT615s and there was TONS more grip and a bit more feedback. And I changed brakes. And changed springs. And changed shocks.

I keep changing more things each year trying to find the right combination. I have a rear strut bar coming, front camber bolts on my desk, and will be switching to the Dunlop Z1s.

Wheels just seemed to be a logical thing to consider when I gotta buy new tires again anyway.

But I'm not going to bother if its really not worth the $.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd have to agree it depends on how serious you want to run but seems to me it must make some difference. as many of the ones who run every month have a dedicated set of wheels and tires. this can also help keep the cost of more expensive tires down depending on how hard you are on them too. one thing i found that helped me for auto-x was my seat and harness. you want to remember build to the class you want to be in. pax time corrects any advantage. so other thing is just seat time.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

less weight = lower lap times

just my .02
Old 03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally don't think it's worth it. If you're looking only for better time and only for auto-x, you're money can be spent better elsewhere.

I agree with dexter, and would love to spend the $900 on a seat/harness bar/harness setup.

Or hell, get a set of R-comps and put them on your stockies (depending on what class you're in) and that would be a HUGE improvement on your times :D
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as i'm always told you have to fix the nut behind the wheel first. you can have a full prepped car and a crappy driver all day get wiped up by a better driver with little to no mods.