Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...
View Poll Results: Did you get a Scion No Hassel Car buying experience?
Yes, it was just lovely.
80.81%
No
17.17%
Yes, they even threw in a free underbody protection coating.
2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a Scion No Hassle car buying experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Paul
Originally Posted by evomind
hey come on, lets be real.....
this "no haggle strategy" is just the manufacturers way to protect their dealers by ensuring they get sticker for every scion they sell.....nice.
not many new cars see as much profit per car as the scion.....usually if a dealer makes 400 over list hes very lucky....hes making all his money on the car u traded in for 3500 bucks and hes selling for 6k....
Exactly All this does is ensure the dealership a 5% profit before any options or financing are taken into account. Factor in doc fees that can be in excess of $500 and the dealer is coming out pretty nice for 1 vehicle sold. I'll agree that it was nice not to be haggled when I went in to test drive a tc, but the no-hassle thing is just there to cover up a nice profit margin and make you feel good about it.

For a sophisticated buyer who enjoy's haggling IMO from what I have seen you would be better off buying a Scion under the Toyota sales process.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member

Default Finace Math Not Adding Up

I just made the deal on my TCM XB 5spd. I did have to order it to get what I wanted. They could not find any that they could transfer from any other dealerships. My only complaint is with the finace guy he tried to sell me the extended warranty and I know this is part of his job but it is the line of reasoning that was weak.
He said that modern cars have on average 13 computers and the average price is $2000. This sounds like a half truth to me, I said to him, do the math your in finance multiply 2000 by 13 that is 26,000 there is no way that makes any sense when we are talking about a $14,000 car. It just ____es me off when people like him try to take advantage of consumers who may not know much about cars. Anyway my car should be in any day now as well as the other aftermarket parts that I have on order.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all of these posts are dumbfoounding to me. hassle free??? bull____. my experience has been nothing but a big ____ing pain in the ___. i'm gonna make a thread about it i think. cuz someone's gonna hear about all the crap they pulled on me.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member

Default Depends on the Dealer

You can get ta hassle free experience if you go to the right dealer. At Charles Maund Scion here in Austin, hassle was the name of the game. However, at Champion Scion just down the road, I had a hassle free experience purchasing my TCM xB. It all depends on whether the dealer has their **** together or not.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xbchance
Originally Posted by JDMxB
I still hate those Toyo reps who try to cut you off at the pass when trying to get to the Scion portion though.
LOL So TRUE!!! :twisted:
even when all you want to do is go to the parts department.

I try to walk like I am on a "MISSION" and don't have TIME to waste. [and that is not easy when you use crutches ]

I like when you drive up with a car with paper plates and "so ya wanna trade that in?"
Old 10-09-2004, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

There is nothign "illegal" or "unethical" of dealers making profit/

What is unethical? Lieing, deception, and over promising.

What I like about scion is that I can shop EVERY local dealers best price in the region in 15 minutes by visiting their webpage and seeing their menu.

It's so easy.

By the way, my DOC fee is ON my menu @ scionofnaperville.com.

Anyways, my customers are happy. My Scion corp. regional, and customer all see value in what I do, and that makes me happy doing thigns.

Omer.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

no hassle...well minor hassle.

I first tried the online progams, not a single dealer came back with an actual quote.

called around to my local dealers, no automatics at Glendora, could not get an answer from Puente Hills

called Longo, talked to the Scion "girl" [she said she was NOT a sales associtate, gave me the name of the sales person I needed]

Arrived FOUGHT my way through the salesmen into the showroom floor and had the sales person paged THREE times

Then a regular salesperson arrived to the page [she said on the third page any salesman can jump on a Scion call]

From then on it was smooth, she only added options I wanted and could talk my wife into.

When we got to the finance maggot he offered the extended warranty and stuff but was not pushing them [ I would also like to point out that it was NOT as easy when we bought my wife's double cab at the same dealer, so maybe they have been told to back off on that end for the Scion sales]

the biggest hassles were waiting for a salesman to start and the finance dork to end the process.

as for the service department that is another story
Old 10-10-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have heard a lot of people say things on this thread and elsewhere on this forum about how pure price is just a way of making sure that the dealer is getting enough profit. Although it is true that the dealer is making about 600-700 profit on the car alone, that is not why Scion chose to go with the pure price structure. When scion was in its development stages they were trying to find out from gen y how they wanted their car buying purchase to be. Almost all of the people from Gen Y that responded stated in some way that they wanted a pure price system. They knew from the begining that this system was not going to be popular among the older buyers, but the whole basis for Scion was to attract a younger group of buyers. It has been my experiance that the younger people who buy Scion love that they know that they didn't get screwed or that they were able to get all the information that they wanted up front.

There are also those people that come on here and talk about how the $600-700 profit being more than enough and people would be better off on the buying a Scion the Toyota way.....this is in most cases false. The average profit made on a Toyota is about $1,400 front and back without including dealer hold back. Compare that to the Scion (which has no dealer holdback) and most people are better off with pure price. I am especially talking about people with less than average credit. Most dealerships won't even deal with a special finance deal unless the profit is at least $2,500. I know some of you are saying that "I bought my car at invoice" or "I always negotiate the deal below invoice". This may be true for you, but not for everyone. I see people try to trade out of cars all the time that payed way to much. And you have to remember if the deal didn't make the dealer a profit, you wouldn't get it!
Old 10-10-2004, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DanS
I first tried the online progams, not a single dealer came back with an actual quote.
This is my experience too, with both Scion and non-Scion dealers. The only thing that you get from an email or on-line inquiry is a come-on to talk with them on the phone. Even the so-called "Internet Managers" refused to give any useful information in email. It's sad, because if they had offered me a straight deal via email, including the out-the-door price, they would have had a sale.

What you do get is placement on spam lists. I still get emails daily from dealers I emailed only once a year ago saying "We're ready to deal if you are!" Word to the wise: Set up a freemail account before you contact dealers!

George
Old 10-10-2004, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

comeon people,the camo xb that i got in march was a good deal,as i have bought over 20 new cars in my day,and haved owned 12 toyotas,only one bad trip with toyota and that was a 92 camary v6.it was a model change that year and at purchase i got tha 100,000 mi. warranty, later down the line they screwed me on tha warranty,but i got over it.i traded it for a saturn.happy as pig in mudd about tha car,if you aint never owned one you cant talk ____ about them! if you dont like your SCIONthen get rid of it and buy tha other japanese crap. or buy american and really have a reason to WHINE!

bondobob
ga.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

I got a free lo jack, and free mats.....it was a easy deal