Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

Do I really need to leave a deposit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default Do I really need to leave a deposit?

My wife and I were going to buy a tc around February or March, but, because of my wife getting a promotion at work, we are looking at November or December instead. I've been in contact with two dealerships in Houston (Mike Calvert Scion and Gullo Scion) about buying one from them. Calvert is asking for a check to "hold" one for me (Gullo has yet to get back to me).

Is this standard practice for a Scion dealership to ask for a "hold", or deposit check? My wife and I are both very skittish about writing a check and then having them cash it out of the blue. If they were to hold the check until the car came in, I would not really have a problem with it, but I've heard horror stories about deposits being wrongly cashed.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:59 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

When I ordered my xA i had to leave a $500 deposit. The Dealer told me that this was required by his dealership because I had had some of the Non Dealer installed options and my car wasn't due in for another week.(I chose mine off of the allocation they had coming in.)
At the very least you should not have to place a deposit until you have decided on if you are buying there and actually picked a car. Otherwise it would be like you going to a car dealership and asking to look around and being told to leave a deposit while you looked around.

If you are getting a car there, then of course is pretty much customary to leave some deposit, however what you can do is find out when the car is due in, and then post date the check for a day or so after. Then if the car doesn't come in you have plenty of time to call your bank and have them cancel the check. If the car does come in, you do nothing and noone is hurt in any way.

However this is all something you should talk over with your dealer Rep. if they are on the up and up, then he should be able to alleve(sp?) any fear you have. You can also do what I did which is put your Deposit on a Visa(and I think other cedit cards do the same thing) and if you don't get the product for which you payed then you tell them and they refund your money and go after whomever charged you. Can't remeber what it is called tho.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

A deposit is required however if you were too weary of putting a deposit down, tell them to call you when its availible and in all honesty, be patient. Or order one online at www.scion.com.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Do I really need to leave a deposit?

Originally Posted by London Calling
My wife and I were going to buy a tc around February or March, but, because of my wife getting a promotion at work, we are looking at November or December instead. I've been in contact with two dealerships in Houston (Mike Calvert Scion and Gullo Scion) about buying one from them. Calvert is asking for a check to "hold" one for me (Gullo has yet to get back to me).

Is this standard practice for a Scion dealership to ask for a "hold", or deposit check? My wife and I are both very skittish about writing a check and then having them cash it out of the blue. If they were to hold the check until the car came in, I would not really have a problem with it, but I've heard horror stories about deposits being wrongly cashed.
It is standard practice at our dealership for two reasons. One; it shows your commitment to buy the car is real and not a passing whim. Two; it allows us to show Scion how many orders we have for the car, so that Scion can have a good idea what our demand is.
At our dealership we do not cash the checks. They are kept in a secured area and there is no way to unintentionally deposit them. Some dealers will cash them, but they should let you be aware that of it when you write the check. We want the customer to be happy and since the check is 100% refundable it doesn't make sense to have to write a check back, if you change your mind. I would ask the dealer if they are going to cash it. Depending on the local laws they may have to, but I am pretty sure it's illegal to take money with out providing a good or service. And if they say they aren't going to cash it, ask them what safeguards are in place to prevent it from being cashed. Either way have fun with your tC when you get it!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is standard, but not required. our dealership doesn't do it. there's no sense. although it does show some type of commitment, anyone can right a check that isn't gonna be cashed. i could write one for a million dollars right now. plus, that deposit isn't binding in any way legally. so, if the dealership wants (although i doubt they'd do it), they could sell that car that is "reserved" by your deposit to anyone. dunno though, it seems you don't really have a choice. sorry.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealers say that whole idea of the deposit is to "show committment" to buy the car. It supposedly protects the dealer from being stuck with an unsalable vehicle if the customer backs out of the deal. With Scions selling as well as they do, the chances of a dealer being stuck with a car is nil.

In less chartable terms, the deposit gives the dealer a psychological leash with which to hold onto the customer even if another dealer comes up with the goods sooner. Most customers wouldn't feel comfortable going through the hassle of getting their deposit back, so they stick with the dealer to whom they gave the deposit.

Unless you are buying a car with an odd combination of accessories, it is not a good idea to give the dealer any hold upon you. It's better to contact several dealers, tell them what you want, and give your business to the one who can deliver what you want. Let them commit to serving you, not the other way around!

I am amused by the "we don't cash the check" dealers. If they don't intend to cash the check, then what is the point of demanding it? They might as well demand that you give them a shiny pebble to hold!

George
Old 10-02-2004, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member

Couple quick things from a legal standpoint about deposits. Make sure you ask the dealer if this is a "true" deposit (meaning that you are entering into a binding contract whereby they agree to deliver the car in exchange for you agreeeing to purchase the car from them) or whether its a "good faith" deposit (meaning that giving the dealer the deposit does not bind you to take the car when it comes in, that the deposit is refundable, and that the deposit is merely a good faith indicator that you intend t that time to buy the car).

It may vary from dealership to dealership as to what the deposit actually is. When I orderd my Tc a month ago I made certain that the deposit was refundable and I was not bound to buy the car at that particular dealership. The reason i did that is not because my commitment to buy "a" Tc was any less, but rather I wanted to give myself the option to buy elsewhere should the car I want turn up on another scion dealers lot in the interim between when I ordered the car and when it was estimated to arrive.

To answer your question, most dealers require some form of deposit. $500 seems to be the norm for scion dealers. Just make sure you know what type of deposit it is. Easiest way to tell its a good faith deposit (the one more favorable to you) is to look for a clause in the order form which states that the deposit is refundable at the buyers request. If that clause isn;t in there, request one be put in or o to another dealership. Note: you CAN write in this clause yourself, just make sure someone at the dealership initials the written in clause.

Hope this helps. Good luck. enjoy the Tc when you get it. Its a great deal.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member

Opinions! Wow!
First, I have been away from home, and I missed you all!
At my store, I currently have over 30! people in line for tC's and xB's and xA's(that aren't red). Here's the way I explain teh deposit in my emails and in person (now tell me if there is anything wrong or unclear about this):" If you'd like, I can order the EXACT Scion you want, You get the car you want, in the color you like, with the options you prefer. At the Price you can afford, and alredy know.No extras. Spec out the car. Get the price. Order the car. Get the car. Get on with your life. No games. Straight Answers. Bring Mark some buckets of Red Vines Licorice...
I ask for a VOIDED check written for $100 to Power Scion Irvine, which of course, is not cashed. I will gladly give back your check, at any time, or shred it, if you ask me to toss it,. I am always straight with you, I ask the same in return. I waited in line for mine, just like you. Fair is fair, no favorites.
I will call you whenever any Scion (put in letter duet here) comes in, and because of the popularity, I may call and ask if you want xxx instead of the (yyyy that has become available to you, unless you tell me-just this color, this transmission, these options, that';s it., which is fine by me too.
All said, the order process takes longest in saying hello and goodbye than the form filling.check writing. Total average order-15 minutes. Time to delivery:as early as 2 weeks to 6 weeks, depending on time of the monthWhen the car gets here, I literally run to the truck, get the keys and books, and the car, and get it cleaned up, and put through it in the shop, I hide it. Really. I hold the keys in my pocket until you arrive. You have that day to answer yes or no, before I go to the next person.
If you are the next peron in line but you dont want it, you dont lose your place or anything. I paid the same price as everyone else, Scion Sticker, for the xB, the options, the financing, all of it. And you know, I liked it, because I love it when it's fair.
call me if I can assist further, let me know, I 'll be right over------>here->'<-
Old 12-02-2004, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

haha very well put mark and very true ... strait to the point and HONEST
Old 12-04-2004, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I had to leave a deposit to buy my TC because of how high the demand is in my area. Before I actually bought it I had called 10 or 12 dealerships and no one had one. It still took 2 months to get one. But I love it and it's worth it.