Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

HIDXTRA HID conversion kit Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member

I order the kit and it came in an envelope with the box inside, no protective padding or anything for the bulbs or ballasts. No nice packaging or box. Everything was just crammed into the box. Very unprofessional imo.
Installed the kit with the relay harness, into a 2009 Venza. Everything plugged in ok but the ballast fail to ignite the bulbs sometimes. Both sides and the alternate! I check all connections and voltages and tried swapping sides, now I have to take both ballasts out and send them in for warraty. Also, I have to pay for shipping back to the company.
Gotta Love doing things Twice!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Sponsor
SL Member

HI,

Please do understand that the price you paid for is OEM packaging, if you were to get it nicely packaged with retail box and clear tray inside, the retail price for our kit usually sells for $200. Your Venza, may need a polarity reverse, as same with some scions and acuras. please try reversing the polarity first (Wire harness, flip 180 degrees and plug back into ballast), if that doesn't work call our tech at 860-821-8212, there might just be a amp issue. Thanks for your understanding~

Michelle

Originally Posted by SqTc07
I order the kit and it came in an envelope with the box inside, no protective padding or anything for the bulbs or ballasts. No nice packaging or box. Everything was just crammed into the box. Very unprofessional imo.
Installed the kit with the relay harness, into a 2009 Venza. Everything plugged in ok but the ballast fail to ignite the bulbs sometimes. Both sides and the alternate! I check all connections and voltages and tried swapping sides, now I have to take both ballasts out and send them in for warraty. Also, I have to pay for shipping back to the company.
Gotta Love doing things Twice!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member

I'm a mobile electronics installer by trade, i think i know how these things work, but that you for the information on the packaging.
Tried the polarity flip and then the ballasts just dont work at all, but again thank you.
I called and talked to the tech who talked down to me, and im not too keen on having to pull everything out to send in (AKA pay for shipping), when i have delt with another co that will send me the parts and a box for return shipping, therefore not costing me any more money.
This is just my opinion and my feedback, take it with a grain of salt or what not, just how i feel.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I purchased a H11 6000k kit from HIDextra for my 2008 Scion xB. I am very satisfied with the product and the customer service that HIDextra provides on ScionLife.

The packaging wasn't really all that great as SqTc07 said, but it was definitely protected. On the inside of the box, there were dividers that kept everything together and separated components from one another. To that extent, the outside of the box was heavily bubbled wrapped in its packaging and then wrapped again with another layer. Regardless of the fact that it is an OEM product, HIDextra definitely went the extra mile to package it with good protection.

When I first installed it in my box at 11pm at night (I was very excited, you see), I had trouble getting it connected, so I referred to our lengthy Topic in the xB2 Forums by HIDextra and I got it squared away.

Very, very satisfied with the kit and would definitely not go back down to Halogens again.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very satisfied with my H11 kit. Complete plug n play and very easy to hook-up. Hardest part was deciding where I wanted to put the ballasts. Finally just mounted them on the lip over the wheel well under the fender. While the packaging is basic I didn't see any problem with it. Everything was protected well for shipping.. Obviously not a 'consumer' package, but adequate for the job. Very happy with it and would purchase again if I have the need.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Sponsor
SL Member

Thanks for all the feedback we greatly appreciate your business and support!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

any more feedback on these hids?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default HIDExtra's warranty: You're GOING to need it!!!

The ballasts provided by HIDExtra are EXTREMELY poor quality! Make absolutely sure you keep record of your order. The odds are, you are going to need it pretty soon!
I ordered a set of H11s for my wife's 2008 xB in early January. The passenger side ballast died within a month. It has since been replaced under warranty. Now the driver's side ballast is dead. ...still waiting on a response from HIDExtra.
I ordered a set of H4s for a coworker of mine also in early January. The passenger side ballast died within AN HOUR! HIDExtra replaced the bad ballast under warranty (which took almost 3 weeks!) The replacement ballast died within a week. It has also been replaced under warranty. Now, my coworker is saying that the other side occasionally flickers and does not come on all the time. My bet is that we'll be RMA'ing yet another ballast before the week is up.
These kits seem very nice. Their connections are all solid and seem to be good quality. The bulbs seem to be well-built, for the most part. Their ballasts, however, are SEVERELY lacking!
I've installed DOZENS of HID kits from other manufacturers and have NEVER had one fail. Several of these installs have been in place for well over a year with a few exceeding 2 years and none of them have EVER experienced any issues. The only failures that I have seen have all been HIDExtra.
I hope they can get these quality issues resolved, for their sake.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Watching...because my current HIDs are going bad and I need new ones...which I was going to get from HIDEXTRA.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 AM

That's really good product. Often I have been insisted, by my family members particularly by my brother, to have HID Kit for my car, but never really knowing what this kit comes with, I proceeded my march into the near by stores to find one. What I was told here was more surprising.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
SL Member

I got a 8k kit and couldn't be more happy with them. Install was a breeze and I live the color. I would Buy again in heartbeat
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Sponsor
SL Member

More reviews from this original thread thanks!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...160911&page=40
Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default ...yet another failed ballast!

Nonstop problems with failing ballasts! Yet another HIDExtra ballast has failed on my 2008 xB!
Since I bought this kit, I have spent more time running my FACTORY HEADLIGHT BULBS than I have the HIDs because I am CONSTANTLY waiting on a replacement ballast. The ballasts aren't lasting any longer than a week at a time now. As of this morning, I have requested a full refund.
The H4 kit that my friend ordered from HIDExtra for his pickup has suffered similar failures. He is currently waiting on a replacement ballast since the last one failed over a week ago. When this replacement fails, I am sure he will be doing the same.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Sponsor
SL Member

I believe resolved through email or PM if not let me know thanks!

michelle

Originally Posted by UV7
Nonstop problems with failing ballasts! Yet another HIDExtra ballast has failed on my 2008 xB!
Since I bought this kit, I have spent more time running my FACTORY HEADLIGHT BULBS than I have the HIDs because I am CONSTANTLY waiting on a replacement ballast. The ballasts aren't lasting any longer than a week at a time now. As of this morning, I have requested a full refund.
The H4 kit that my friend ordered from HIDExtra for his pickup has suffered similar failures. He is currently waiting on a replacement ballast since the last one failed over a week ago. When this replacement fails, I am sure he will be doing the same.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:57 AM
SL Member

Thank you for the excellent customer service.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by HIDXTRA
I believe resolved through email or PM if not let me know thanks!

michelle
...STILL waiting to see my money returned.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Sponsor
SL Member

Send me an email with your order # again, I'm going to check on the situation and see what the problem. Send email to info@hidextra.com and the situation again. Thanks!

michelle

Originally Posted by UV7
...STILL waiting to see my money returned.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by HIDXTRA
Send me an email with your order # again, I'm going to check on the situation and see what the problem. Send email to info@hidextra.com and the situation again. Thanks!

michelle
Consider this issue resolved.
HIDXtra finally refunded my money through Paypal.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Now that's a customer service - quick resolution however I can't say much about the product since I never installed it - it didn't come complete ( . I received the package without the ballasts. I sent a correspondence to the vendor a couple of weeks ago but never received a response. Out of frustration I purchased another kit from another SL vendor and been very happy with their product.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by stick_1NZ
Now that's a customer service - quick resolution however I can't say much about the product since I never installed it - it didn't come complete ( . I received the package without the ballasts. I sent a correspondence to the vendor a couple of weeks ago but never received a response. Out of frustration I purchased another kit from another SL vendor and been very happy with their product.
I'm sorry about that, I must missed the email. Please let me know your order number and I'll check for you.

Quick Reply: HIDXTRA HID conversion kit Review