Notices
Introduction Forum

We pride ourselves on being a welcoming community we are happy to see you here and we want to get you talking to us, start here by telling us about you and your Scion.
*PLEASE DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION*

new member & new to Scion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:29 PM

Default new member & new to Scion

I have a new-to-me 2008 Xb, that I bought 2 weeks ago with less than 39K miles on it. I am loving it so far, but it wasn't even on my radar when I started looking...

I just retired from a job that provided me with a car (and kept me in it quite a bit) and had to find a replacement, as I hadn't owned my own car for 15 years or so. I'd also had knee surgery recently which made seat height & door-opening size newly relevant. Being frugal (okay, cheap!), new wasn't a likely option, but I looked.

I started out thinking that a plain, simple pickup was what I wanted - You know, so I could bring home a sheet of plywood once every couple of years. I found out that plain pickups start at over $30K new and generally don't get sold till they've got 100K miles or more on them and then still cost $15K or more ( see frugal, above). I also found out that 2WD trucks are almost non-existent in this part of the country and that the extra 2" of height on the 4WD made getting in and out more of a struggle than I wanted. (I was also pretty sure that I didn't need 4WD - if the roads are that bad, I don't need to go - retired, remember?).

My company vehicle had been a small SUV but those and the compact pickups suffered from the same objections I had to the pickups. Sedans were too low, or the doors too small, or the sills too high to easily get in & out of.

I finally just happened to spot the Xb on the lot and had a Goldilocks "moment" when I got in. My kids say that its too cool for me, but maybe I can learn. In the meantime, I'll get the guys at Home Depot to pre-cut that sheet of plywood.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for joining, floydzilla! Glad to have you as a part of our community