Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

[xB] Fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default [xB] Fix it?

I have a few concerns with my xb...

I have already took it back to the dealership a few times and it seems something else comes up everytime I take it there...

Some of my concerns/inquiries:

The pattern of the [light] emmited from the head lamps (it seems to light up more of the right side of the road)

___/ << Thats teh pattern I see at night.

The [clutch]. I can "feel it" when I depress it (if that makes any sense to anyone). Also, when I depress the clutch it clicks!? I dont know if thats normal.

When [cornering] right hand turns, the car seems to skip when I hit the turn. (ie: When you turn a bicycle wheel quickly at a hard angle)

I too have the back seat rattle (and not the good "rattle" either) lol.

I must be paranoid but I think the engine idle is effing louder than before! :sad:

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head...

I took it in today and when I picked it up after work... I noticed that when I would brake... It would sound like two pieces of material rubbing on each other as if the door didnt fit...

Im just concerned... Any feedback would be great...

(is Carson Toyota's service dept good?)

Peace and Love:

.sensez[eric][/list]
Old 12-28-2003, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might have an alignment problem right out of the factory if your car is "skipping" on turns. this is usually caused by fudged up toe setting

the xB is a loud car compared to other cars

there is a TSB for the rattle i believe

take your car to a wall at night and shine the light and confirm your problem or take it to the dealer, if they don't see it, then guess what there is no problem with the light

i don't know about the clutches on these cars but some cars do actually click when you depress the clutch but other members on the boards can tell you if thats the case with this car
Old 12-28-2003, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I definately don't have the clutch problem. You may want to get that looked at. As for the lights, that's a good point...check the pattern at night on a wall, if it seems jacked take it in.
I know SCION is very interested in problems that people are having (luckily there haven't been many). If there is anything wrong, it's all warrantied...take it to the dealer to get it checked out.
my 2 cents
Old 12-28-2003, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Headlight pattern

The light pattern with the right side being farther up than the left is a general pattern for a lot of cars... IMHO, a lot of cars are like that so you dont blind oncoming traffic with your headlights. I've found that to be the case for my family's Solara, E320, MVP and my old Integra. Just my two cents
Old 12-28-2003, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

your headlights are supposed to go straight across and a lil arc up towards the right side of each headlight.. THATS NORMAL.. we drive on the right side of the road.. its what the headlights are meant to do.. the xB has VERY VERY VERY nice shining headlights.. im suprised cuz such a small headlight can light the road up so well stock.

anywhos.. i dont have any of your problems.. but i do hear occasional rattling.. or whatver..

BUT i do have a tranny problem.. my gearbox feels like crap.. when i go.. 1, 2, 3..
i can't shift it into 3rd sometimes.. this happens when i drive fast..
and people tell me.. maybe u didn't step on the clutch.. well
the last 3 times it happened.. MY CLUTCH was down all the way.. it just didn't
wanna go in.. its annoying me.. really annoying me.. anyone else with this?
Old 12-28-2003, 01:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

i have had similar problems with my Accent and the clutch. I was told by the dealer that it was the spyder gears, and they needed to be adjusted. I never did take it in, and now that im getting rid of it, i dont plan on it. Your problems sound very similar to my head aches with my manual tranny, and they started at about 200 miles in.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
your headlights are supposed to go straight across and a lil arc up towards the right side of each headlight.. THATS NORMAL.. we drive on the right side of the road.. its what the headlights are meant to do.. the xB has VERY VERY VERY nice shining headlights.. im suprised cuz such a small headlight can light the road up so well stock.

anywhos.. i dont have any of your problems.. but i do hear occasional rattling.. or whatver..

BUT i do have a tranny problem.. my gearbox feels like crap.. when i go.. 1, 2, 3..
i can't shift it into 3rd sometimes.. this happens when i drive fast..
and people tell me.. maybe u didn't step on the clutch.. well
the last 3 times it happened.. MY CLUTCH was down all the way.. it just didn't
wanna go in.. its annoying me.. really annoying me.. anyone else with this?
I do have that same problem and does mainly occur when Im driving at higher speeds... and yes... Ive been driving a manual all my life and yes the clutch is all teh way down... What i have noticed on the xb that the gear shifts are a lot rougher and less forgiving...\

Does your clutch click when you depress it ?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea sometimes a lil click goes on.. AND dude.. the tranny itself
is crappy.. i feel like the gears feel like ____.. hop into a civic..
integra, accord, those feel like BUTTER and mine feels like i put a
shifter in a box of cereal and im mushy it around.. CRUNCH,CRACK, ETC..
any whos.. sucks to be us.. lol
Old 12-29-2003, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member

Default Interesting

Well my friend first for the lights you should check the ground side of the light that is dimmer than the rest.

For the skipping on turns that sounds like your differential. When you go into a turn the tires turn at different speeds. It might be a spider gear binding or something else.

And the tranny. When you hear a click while depressing the clutch its is usually the throwout bearing, there might be another name for it but i dont kno it right now but its the same thing. Another reason could be the pressure plate if the fingers are really worn. Some reasons for crappy shifting would be the shift linkage or the shifter. You should take apart the shifter and see if the bushing are messed up. This is usually cause by shifting when u bairly have the clutch in.

You drive this thing hard ya? Ya gotta realize that you are driving a scion with bairly 96HP (proven by a dyno) and not a sports car. Take car of your cars and they will take car of you. =)
Old 12-29-2003, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
yea sometimes a lil click goes on.. AND dude.. the tranny itself
is crappy.. i feel like the gears feel like ____.. hop into a civic..
integra, accord, those feel like BUTTER and mine feels like i put a
shifter in a box of cereal and im mushy it around.. CRUNCH,CRACK, ETC..
any whos.. sucks to be us.. lol
Couldnt have described it better myself...

daverf230: I dont drive "hard" necessarily... But I know what you're talking about... Thanks for the feedback..

.sensez[eric]