Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

5,000 mile scheduled maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5,000 mile scheduled maintenance

i took my tc to the dealership last week and told them i would like my 5k mile scheduled maintenance. here is what the maintenance guide book lists...

1. replace engine oil and oil filter
2. rotate tires
3. visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

i didn't look at the invoice until yesterday and where it lists the services it says oil change but doesn't say anything about them rotating the tires...
i just assumed they would do everything on the list and i'm not really sure why they didn't.
now aside from the first three oil changes, am i responsible for paying for any of these scheduled maintenance services (ie: tire rotation) or are they covered by warranty?
i would appreciate any info on this subject since the service people at my dealership have not been very helpful in answering any of my questons...
i just kinda feel like i'm being jerked around for some reason which brings me to my last question. can i have scheduled maintenance and warranty services performed at another dealer?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion pays for the oil, filter, misc. costs, and labor involved with changing the oil and filter for three oil changes at a Scion dealer within the first 36,000 miles. (And this can be ANY Scion dealer, not just the one you bought the car from...)

Any other work (unless warranty) is at the owner's expense.

The tire rotation, etc, would be charge items.

(Some dealers will do it free as a gesture toward customer good will, but there is nothing saying they have to or will...)

My dealer has three levels of paid-for oil change services, at different prices. They have decided, on their own, that the Scion "free" changes are to be handled the same as their lowest priced paid service, which includes chacking all other fluids and topping up as required. I have read, here, of other dealers charging for this if done at the same time as the free change.

Some dealers view a Scion paid oil and filter change as that only, and charge shop fees, recycle fees, and whatever else they can think of. They also charge for windshield washer fluid, brake fluid, etc., if used (and sometimes charge for even checking them).

My dealer ended up doing the complete 'top-of-the-line' oil change because I specifically requested a full synthetic 5W-30 oil. They were going to do this for just the difference in the cost of the oil, but at bill paying time decided it was easier and cheaper to just give me the oil rather than figure out how to write it up and charge for it. Saved me about $20.

So you see, it depends on the dealer's service department. Some go the extra mile, some will charge you $5 to top up the washer fluid...

Only way to know is to ask first.