Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Alternative Fuel/ Fuel Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alternative Fuel/ Fuel Conversions

I know you can substitute vegetable oil for diesel but I was wondering what substitutes or conversions have been done on a gasoline engine and if anyone has done one on their Scion. I am possibly interested in converting. I know you can do a 90/10 blend of vegetable oil to gasoline and it will work but looking for other options
Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

come on no one??? I know some of you techies and mechanics out there have to know something more
Old 10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no one??
Old 10-21-2005, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

no replies for no replacement
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default altertative fuels

I have looked into this before too. I have an uncle back in the midwest that converted his truck to propane. He said it ran way better on propane than it did on gas, started up better on cold mornings too. But this is back when propane was Cheap its not anymore. There is LNG(liquified natural gas). But thre is a lot of cost involved besides the cost of converting your car. I don't know any speciifc manufactures but they are out there. Also when going LNG have to consider that there aren't many places to fill up, and you have to purchase a Natural Gas compressor to use at home to fill up.They cost almost 3 grand. THe cost involved in alt fuel conversion out weighs a lot of the benifits. Thats about all I know with the ALT fuel conversion scene hope it helps.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. You forget I live in Oklahoma City, the oil and energy capital of the United States and the Western Hemisphere for that matter. The top 2 natural gas producers in the US are located here. Propane and LNG are easy to find around here. They burn cleaner and you can go longer without filling up.

I'm even more interested in the vegetable oil conversions, the gas mileage and other benefits are even better and heck, you can get it next to nothing, even FREE if you ask fast food companies for their recycled oil after they filter it.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm even more interested in the vegetable oil conversions
I doubt it will work on anything but a diesel engine. The required compression ratio is too high to reach in a gasoline engine. Vegetable oil is essentially nonflammable until you put it under the high pressures that only a diesel engine can make.

Also, if you make a mod like this, you may want a dual-tank setup so that you have one tank of vegetable oil and one of diesel - vegetable oil gels at 32 degrees F.

Maybe you could come up with some way to thin the oil with gasoline, so that it was a blend that would still work in a gas engine... fouling the plugs would possibly still be a problem, as would clogging the filters, swelling and degrading the gaskets...

But if you can make it work the world would beat a path to your doorstep!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you can do a blend with diesel and vegetable oil. Heck you can even buy it at the gas stations, its called Ethanol and they have it in different octanes, just like gas. I wonder how much and what the trouble would be to drop a diesel engine in a xb