Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

brake help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default brake help

Ok I posted in the other forum http://weirdscionce.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2203
Old 08-17-2004, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Do you really think you need new pads at 10k? If you do you have other issues to deal with too. Anywhere you call and say that to will think you are a crackhead. Get some adult supervision.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know that the rear brakes are drums and do need to be adjusted from time to time. Usually its every 15,000 miles. But the backing plates are supposed to be greased so when the shoe moves it makes no sound. When the grease wears off they get squeeky. Its possible Toyota used some thin grease or crappy grease from the factory and it wore off the first time too quick. Take your car out and lightly pull up on the parking brake and see if there is a squeek and you will know that it is the rears or not.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Back In Black xA
You know that the rear brakes are drums and do need to be adjusted from time to time. Usually its every 15,000 miles. But the backing plates are supposed to be greased so when the shoe moves it makes no sound. When the grease wears off they get squeeky. Its possible Toyota used some thin grease or crappy grease from the factory and it wore off the first time too quick. Take your car out and lightly pull up on the parking brake and see if there is a squeek and you will know that it is the rears or not.
its not the rear that is making noises it was jsut the front but doc gave me a intelligent answer and so have you thanx.
ill remember to ask only a few people for their input next time..... i guess asking questions isnt a good way to find out something you really dont knowq too much about :?

next time i brake ill call you scott and let you listen it might actually give you intelligent sh#$ to say. if i want a smart ___ answers from numb nuts like you ill pm you
till then scott keep stickin that thumb up yours i bet u like it
Old 08-17-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok my brakes are starting to squeak...time to get them replaced right?? I call up toyota and try to set up an appointment but they say I don't need it..they said they r supposed to sqeak because there are metallic pieces in the pad. Ok but it doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't feel the same when I brake so I think its time for some new 1's. I'm @ 10k.

The real question is what kind of brake pad should I put in...anyone have an idea.
Installation will take place @ richs house since service center "don't think its a good idea"
I do like the thumb, how did you know? It seems kind of funny that you called Toyota and asked for advice and then disregarded everything they told you. Then you decided it was time to replace your brakes at 10k miles. If you see the wisdom in this i think you have found your problem.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

who said i disregarded?? and who replaced their brakes already?? i was simply getting other peoples opinion and i did so ur beef is? im sure next time you will figure out what your point is.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member

forget about the squeeking sound and forget about the toyota guy. pull one or both your front wheels off and take a look at the thickness of your pads. should take less than 30 minutes to do. but if your real question is what is the best replacement, you'll have to do your own research on what 's available on the aftermarket. since scions are so new very few sites include it in their lists. look for the part no. for a 2003 toyota echo and it will be the same for the scion xb (not sure about the xa). the 2004 echo will not be the same part no. hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

CCCCan't we all just get along and play nice LOL seriously if the fronts are sqeeking, so soon the only way the pads are shot are if the calipers are sticking otherwise the assmbly just needs to be cleaned up. A buildup of brake dust might be the problem but anything IS possible! Keep us updated with the results of the search!
Old 08-18-2004, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just got back from WALKING home. i was getting my oil change @ the dealer and 15 minutes later they told me i would need new brakes. I didnt even mention to them i was having a brake problem. The technician showed me the brake pads and it was metal in some parts. he said my rotor needed resurfacing and i would need new brake pads. so indeed i did need new brakes.

:twisted: told you i wasnt crazy

and no im not happy about it lol

i will do aftermarket pads after they resurface my rotors besides they wont install aftermarket stuff
Old 08-18-2004, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If you need pads and rorors turned why let them do it just go get your new aftermarket pads and while your at it take your rotors with you and have em turned. Why pay for 2 sets of pads. Plus don't let them take a lot off the rotors or they will warp and need to be replaced.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

told you im not crazy
Well if you went metal to metal in 10k miles you damn sure DRIVE CRAZY!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Signature Visions
SL Member

man those lavas are hard to come by...

man lava drivers always have alot to say...leave the guy alone
Old 08-18-2004, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

nothin else 4 me to say to u scott my problem is solved thanx for your useless input.

to the rest of you happy scioning

imma stop drivin fast in the city cause thats what my problem was.

lock.