Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default brake pads

i've been searching and looking anywhere and everywhere to find more info about brake pads/brake items in general, and i can't seem to find the info i want. i'm looking for a set of tc pads that are going to be significantly better than stock, that's not gonna be very dusty, and also won't wear out my rotors quickly. i realize that u have to give a little in order to get a little, so there's not going to be a perfect pad that gives performance, no dust, and littler rotor wear-but, there has to be something close. the pads i've really looked into are the axxis ultimates, but i think they're gonna give off too much dust for me, and also the ebc greenstuff-which i've heard very very mixed reviews about. some people love them, and some people hate them. these are the bad things i was told about the ebc greenstuff-they cause alot of rotor wear, get too hot-so they wouldn't be good with the stock rims, and a bunch of other things that i can't remember. someone also told me that the rear pads aren't nearlly as important because the front pads on the tc do about 80% of the actual stopping, so those are the important ones to replace. i already ordered the ebc's for the rear, i was about to get them for the front, but now i'm not so sure. would the hawk hps street pads be what i'm looking for? someone also recommended the posi quiet ceramic pads. does anyone have another set of pads that they like and fit what i'm looking for? along with the pads, i'm gonna get either rotora or goodridge stainless steel brake lines, and the motul 600 brake fluid. stoptech has the stage 1 kit that comes with the axxis ultimates. if i could've gotten a diff pad with that kit, i woulda bought it a while ago.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hawk HPS for sure..good bite, low dust and low rotor wear. It really is exactly what you are looking for. The rear pads are not avialable for the tC yet but weve spoken to Hawk and they will be avialable in the next year.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so i'll get the hawk hps for the front, and then just get something different for the rear, or leave the rear i guess. i ordered the ebc greenstuff for the rear, i might just keep those since the hawk pads aren't available yet. could i just leave the rear as is for now, and then change them later on, or is it important to change them both at the same time-even though i wouldn't be using the same pads in front and back, but at least upgraded them?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will be fine with the stock rear pads and the HPS front. The only time we wouldnt recommend different pads front and rear pads is when a much higher bite rear pad is used with the stock or low bite front. This can induce rear bias which can cause snap oversteer...which is bad. When there is a front bias situation the car will still be stable under braking so it is safe and will not cause any problems.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i ordered all the stuff the other day-hawk pads for the front, i got ebc greenstuff pads for the rear, the stoptech lines, and the motul fluid. can't wait to get this stuff. now i just need to find some good winter tires and i'll be set.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me know what you think about the Hawk HPS pads, that's what I was thinking about getting once my stock ones wear out.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about TRD front brake pads?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not exactly sure what compound the TRD pads are but you are probably going to be paying a premium for the name. You should really look at what the compund will offer you as opposed to brand name or compostion. There are so many compounds avialable that there really is a pad to suit just about everyones needs.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just called TRD usa

the trd high performance brake pads are made from metallic and organic compounds

they are suppose to work in high temperatures real well as well as in cool weather producing the least amount of noise

i got mine a while back $37 shipped. i dunno if thats a lot for the front brake pads...
Old 12-23-2005, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did you get your pads from? i just got me some r-1 concepts rotors front and rear. but i dont know where to get pads from.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get them from trdsparks.com
Old 12-28-2005, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the Hawk everyone is recommending or try some EBC Green Stuff