Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

the brakes went out

Old 10-17-2004, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default the brakes went out

Ok if anyone has the time to read this and give me a response i would really really appreciate it.

Today when I was driving in the rain I noticed whenever my car was hitting around 40 and I tapped the brakes my car would start stuttering *as if my brakes were hitting the rotor* anyways when I reached the light and pressed lightly on the gas I felt my car stuttering again. I made a right onto the freeway entrance but my car didn't turn right it just went straight ahead, and the car didn't brake when I pressed on the brake. I hit the curb of the on ramp going about 10 and my car went up on the curb while hitting the curb hard. Now one background information that I should give is this, I have had the car for a year and three months and have had to already change brakes and rotors cause they said the last time that my rotors were warped and it cost me somewhere around 550 for all of that, 3 to 4 months later this happens so I'm beginning to question if my car has a defect as I am almost positive the car wasn't hydroplaning since the brakes were stuttering before that turn. When the tow truck guy came and took the car for me he told me to look at my tire gaps. On the left side where i went up on the curb there is a 3 inch space on the left and less than an inch on the right *i have MAJOR tire rub* I believe now that the axle and/or chassis is bent. As I am new to this and this is my first accident and I have the car for 5 year finance payments and have only had the car for a year and a couple months, what should I do? where should I start? whats going to happen? Anyone that can give any opinions or has any questions I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again in advance
Shane
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

call the dealership and explain what happened and that you believe it to be warrantable and if they say no. go to your insurance and make a claim. you frame most likely is not bent but your front suspension may be shot to hell. it actually sounds like a bad instal or shotty work so maybe go to where you had it worked on.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea just bring it to the dealer. Brakes sould not be shot in 3-4 months. Did you have the brakes replaced at Scion? Warped rotors are possible but it seems crazy 2 times in about a year. Unless you have a very very heavy foot and slam on the brakes but even thats unlikely. It should all be covered under warravty and just _____ till its fixed properly. Could of blown out some part of your suspension that would explain the shutter when you touch the pedal that or a motor mount but again thats unlikely.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yea I'll call toyota today but their service department isn't open today. I'm still going to try and call and see whats going on.

Did you have the brakes replaced at Scion?
yes

it actually sounds like a bad instal or shotty work so maybe go to where you had it worked on.
I actually had no performance or suspension or anything done to the car, all I did was take off the xA emblem from the back.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I called scion corp today and spoke with the customer service advocate. After talking to a few others they told me that they are going to bring an evaluator to the closest toyota dealership to me within 30 days. If they believe the car has a mechanical defect, well they haven't told me what they will do. If it was my error then they said it will be my full responsibility to fix and take care of. I guess time will tell then, not much else I can do.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds to me like you hit some oil on the wet pavement and the "stuttering" you felt is the ABS. If you turned the wheel and the car still went straight-either something is broken in the steering system (not likely) or the road was very slick which is quite possible when the fall rains come after a dry summer of millions of cars dripping oil on the roads .

Contact your insurance company and find out what you need to do to get the car repaired or replaced (if it's totaled). Don't count on Scion repairing the car under warranty, it doesn't sound like a mechanical failure to me, just bad road conditions.

ken