Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

can this be fixed???56k be afraid

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default can this be fixed???56k be afraid

This happened saturday night on my way to Lakeland from my home in Valrico Fl, here is the story- I was driving east bound on I-4 on my way to lakeland to meet up with some friends. While on the interstate I was slowed to almost a dead stop because a vehicle had broken down in the right hand lane. I was slowed behind a 1968 AMC AMX(beautiful car) which was directly behind the broken down car(which i think was a minivan or suv). Well after coming to almost a complete stop I flashed my high beams at the AMX to signal him to go ahead and pass the broken down car. Next thing I know I hear tires screeching and i look in my driver side side view mirror to see a headlight about 1 foot away from my rear bumber. A split second later I hear this loud explosion and im spinning sideways(90 degrees). Well to kind of sum this up, I was only moving 1 or 2 mph and a drunk driver driving a jeep wrangler hit me in the rear going probably about 60 mph. AND NOW THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

the circle on the left is showing the washer fluid resevior, the circle on the right shows the dip stick type thing that is supposed to be in the resevior. This shows the force that he hit me with.
THE JEEP

one of the bottles he had drank, this is only a little sampler bottle but the guy driving the jeep had thrown out half a bottle of Jack Daniels out of his car to hide it from the cops. I found it because I almost tripped over the bottle, told the cops, and the cops picked it up as evidence

that is all, sorry for the long post. just trying to show what happens when you get hit by a drunk driver. BTW I am 19 years old and had only had my xB for a little over 3 months.

The new car 2005 nissan sentra se-r spec-v
[/url]
Old 11-22-2004, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey man, hopefully you are ok, I didn't see in your post that you were hurt, so I'm guessing everything is cool with you physically.

As for the box, it probably can be repaired, but I would push for the car to be totaled. Looks like the whole left rear got pushed in (C-pillar, rear passenger compartment, axle). Also the rear door is pretty squished... I'm going to hope the insurance says no.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Damn that sucks but hope you are ok..

Yeah just need a new tail light and some touch up paint and should be good to go.. J/K

I agree with doctorcue I hope the insurance says it is totalled (dont see why they wouldnt)
Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow
Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats totalled for sure....
Old 11-22-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

If insurance declares it totalled (which I don't see why they wouldn't), you should part out the stock parts and whatever survived. I'm sure many people are looking for stock parts.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:18 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it'll buff right out
Old 11-23-2004, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
it'll buff right out
then get some of that black wax with a scratch stick :twisted: :twisted:
Old 11-23-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Put a gravestone in front of it - She's dead. Good luck trying to straighten a unibody that's twisted like that...
Old 11-23-2004, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow, granted the speed of the accident, it looks like nothing even happened to the jeep.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow.

I really hope you, and everyone else, is ok. That looks bad.

I'm just looking at it trying to figure out if my son in the rear would have been ok.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck and I hope you get checked out by a doctor. A buddy of mine was in a similar accident like you mentioned, but the other guy wasn't drunk. Similar in that traffic suddenly slowed down and the guy behind hit him at highway speeds.

To this day, almost 3 years later, he still has pains in his neck from the whip lash.

They also never found the guy because he took off after hitting him (his damage wasn't as bad too).
Old 11-23-2004, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah Im fine, no whip lash or anything, all i got was a cut on the back of my head that needed 2 staples. And my muscles are sore as hell, but thats about it.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by itzjere
If insurance declares it totalled (which I don't see why they wouldn't), you should part out the stock parts and whatever survived. I'm sure many people are looking for stock parts.
Unless he owns it, he cant part it out. It now belongs to the insurance company where they will sell it for parts to recoop the loss.

Cars can be replaced, people cant.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A little Zainos will buff that right out

Hey man your ok thats all that matters now go get a new box.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that really sucks. he must have been going fast to cause that much damage. i wish that could be fixed, but it looks completely totalled. i would sue him for emotional distress. if he wasn't drinking then it could of been avioded
Old 11-23-2004, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We might have to take him to court anyway because he might not have insurance. But the guy was wasted, he didnt even know what had happened. He hit me so hard that there was damage to the front of my car. If you look at the picture of my left front wheel its almost pointing straight, and than look at the picture of my right front wheel and its turned all the way to the right. And he hit me hard enough were there might be some possible damage to my hood, and he made my marker light pop out. So like i said before my guess is he hit me going 60+mph and i was barely moving at all. o well. just remember, this is him before he went to jail o and this is him aftero. so i guess in a way i get the last laugh.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta hand it to Toyota. The crumple zones they did in the rear were well done. The way the rear door and the rear area just crumpled, absorbing the force was nicely done. The rear seating area doesn't look that bad and the front seats and front door almost look untouched.

Very nice.

About a month ago, I saw a Corvette C5 after it had hit a wall doing a pretty good speed, ~40-50mph. Way back when, you would expect to have your engine on your lap, but this thing also really absorbed the impact really well too. The dash and interior looked untouched (besides the blownout glass). You could clearly see how the front fenders bent, along with other items, to absorb the impact. The guy also walked away from that crash too.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

totalled...
Old 11-23-2004, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG!!!!! thats horrible but at least you are ok (i assume cuz u still can post here...)

the damage is pretty much like overboost's xB....i think its totalled

Quick Reply: can this be fixed???56k be afraid