Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

can this be fixed???56k be afraid

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hope you and whoever was in the car is okay. Thats some scary stuff right there. Pretty crazy how your xB and his Jeep came out.
Gluck.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

OUCH!!!!!!
glad you're ok...

no doubt thats the jeep, it still has part of your bumper stuck to it...
(love the amc amx too)
Old 11-23-2004, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default f

So that is how those side marker lights come out. hmmmmmm.

Glad you are ok, and that is fixable all you need is a frame rack
and start pulling.

Mark44
Old 11-23-2004, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why didn't the air bags go off and were you wearing your seatbelt?

I have seen a few people where the airbags did not pop up and they probably should have, I can say however that it makes me feel even safer seeing how these boxes handle crashs. My main problem with compact cars has always been getting in an accident and these look like they hold up pretty good.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

air bags that deploy in front of you do not help in a rear-ender...
airbags will only deploy if multiple sensors detect rapid or sudden changes (negative forces). the signals from one or more sensors is compared to the rest of the cars signals. when a few of the sensor give an impact type signal and the rest do not - the airbags will deploy...

so airbags would not have helped in this accident...
Old 11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Holy hell- I had almost the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago. I had a new honda civic (don't give me ____- just let it go... ) and got hit hard from behind and pushed into oncoming traffic where I was hit just off of head on by another car going 45. My two subs in the trunk were thrown 100 feet from the car! I walked away. Say what you want about Honda, but that ____ saved my life. Anyway, they totalled out my Honda, paid it off, and I bought my tC (blessing in disguise, right! )... Anyway, I'd bet $$ your frame is fubar, so pressure the guy's insurance to total the vehicle out. Here are pics of my dead honda:

Old 11-23-2004, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, glad both of you guys are alright.

and PMDJoe, it most definately IS a blessing in disguse! :D
Old 11-23-2004, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Damn ....crazy impact of a crash. Glad to hear you are ok though. I agree with most everyone..your xB is totalled.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear your okay... I'm still having back problems 3 weeks after my Lava got rearended by that Damn "18wheela Scion Killa"....Yep, it's totaled... Just got the word from the 18wheelers insurance yesterday that mine is bieng "totaled out" and this one has a little bit more than what mine had, see link to pics below.....Mine wasn't that bad due to the fact that I was doing about 40mph and the 18wheeler was doing about 65mph so it was really about 25mph impact... But this guy was almost at a dead stop which put his with much more damage... So if they considered mine a total then this guys most definately is.......And YES, if they do total it out then the Insurance Co. ownes it but before they auction it off you can opt. to buy the vehicle from them at a very minimal price to part it out yourself....L8R guys...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33207
Old 11-24-2004, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, i'll fix it for yu for 40,000.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hnefrdo
yea, i'll fix it for yu for 40,000.
thats ok, i would rather buy a new xB, turbo charge it with 15 pounds of boost,add a 75 shot of nitrous to it, blow the motor, buy a new motor and repeat 2 or 3 times.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok im ____ed as hell right now so moderators im sorry for any foul language i might use. The son of a b**** only spent 2 days in jail for a DUI. UUUUUGGGGGG i want to hunt that motherf***** down and kick his ___. http://www.polksheriff.org/cgi-bin/i...ook=2004026472. In a way i am happy that he is out because now everything can get settled a little faster but that guy better hope i dont see him walking down the street, because after i saw him he would be walking anymore for the rest of his miserable life. GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

From what I can tell from that information is that he spent two days in jail before he made bail. He still gets a nice little trial, and with refusing a breathalyzer, they shouldn't go too easy on him.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LeeD
I gotta hand it to Toyota. The crumple zones they did in the rear were well done. The way the rear door and the rear area just crumpled, absorbing the force was nicely done. The rear seating area doesn't look that bad and the front seats and front door almost look untouched.

Very nice.

About a month ago, I saw a Corvette C5 after it had hit a wall doing a pretty good speed, ~40-50mph. Way back when, you would expect to have your engine on your lap, but this thing also really absorbed the impact really well too. The dash and interior looked untouched (besides the blownout glass). You could clearly see how the front fenders bent, along with other items, to absorb the impact. The guy also walked away from that crash too.
Found the pics of the C5 Corvette that I was talking about above.

Interior is not bad, right?

Pretty good crumpling of the front end to absorb the impact!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa, that was a bad hit! glad all is well with you at least. sorry to be the sour grape/apple... but if you part out the grill, let me know. i'm just down the road from ya.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was gonna part it out for spare parts and to sell some, but since i didnt have the title, its my insurance companies car now. So basically i cant really do anything.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, How much did they give you for it?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its good that you are alright. since you can always get a new car. and who is your insurer?

i have a question for those of you who had their car declared as totalled..

incase you were financing/leasing, did you have gap insurance? if yes then how much was your down payment? if not then why not? and who was your insurer??

i am thinking about getting the gap insurance but i have read that if you have about 20% downpayment then you really don't need gap.. i had financed $15,000 while $3000 was down payment plus i also ended up spending additional $4,000 on accessories after i bought my tc. so what do you ppl suggest??
Old 11-30-2004, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by icestorm
its good that you are alright. since you can always get a new car. and who is your insurer?

i have a question for those of you who had their car declared as totalled..

incase you were financing/leasing, did you have gap insurance? if yes then how much was your down payment? if not then why not? and who was your insurer??

i am thinking about getting the gap insurance but i have read that if you have about 20% downpayment then you really don't need gap.. i had financed $15,000 while $3000 was down payment plus i also ended up spending additional $4,000 on accessories after i bought my tc. so what do you ppl suggest??
gap will pay the difference between the car's value as determined by your insurance and the amount left on your loan, INCLUDING your deductible. It was worth it to me.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

gap will pay the difference between the car's value as determined by your insurance and the amount left on your loan, INCLUDING your deductible
Good description.

Check the terms of your financing. Some lease's have gap insurance included- mine did. Believe me- that was nice to hear after the accident. Honda provided the gap insurance as a part of their lease and that covered the difference. I was slightly ahead on my mileage so I had to pay a bit for that, so when all was said and done, I owed a grand total of $94. Not bad to get out free and clear (they even covered the negative equity I wrapped up into the lease- which is never a good idea, but I had to do it).

What you do NOT want to do is buy gap insurance from the dealer. There are lots of scams out there where they roll-in gap insurance and charge you through the roof for it. If the terms of your lease or financing don't include gap insurance check with your auto insurer. Don't believe a dealer if they tell you that you HAVE to have it- that's bull____ too.

Quick Reply: can this be fixed???56k be afraid